myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook RDG Collar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volley1961

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Chinook RDG Collar Reply with quote

I have a Chinook RDG boom less than 6 mo. old. The adjustment collars were always hard to open and now they are almost impossible. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there an easy fix?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far no issues with mine. I do rinse them off to keep sand and dirt out. That said, I like the old style better. A bit easier to use.
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Chinook a call. They have the best customer relations in the business.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally agree, but I was surprised when they said not to worry about the creaking in my new RDG boom after every jibe. Creaking has always been my cue to stop using a carbon boom.

My collars work freely enough; it's the basic design I'm not impressed with. I have yet to find a way to lace the outhaul hook'n'book system so it doesn't twist and bind in use.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't creak. like you, I would be highly concerned if it did. The loop and go on the end of the boom works ok as long as you keep any twists out of the line. You still need to be careful that the lines don't cross..
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find loop&go designs to be quite fussy. I have a Maui Sails carbon wave, and I'm constantly worked about getting the line just right. I'd much rather thread the line like we do with downhaul.

Just reflecting back, I really liked the Gulftech carbon boom ends from the Corpus Christi days. Really trick and easy, yet quite different from today's designs. Solid carbon construction with no moving parts. It was definitely designed before the popularity and use of adjustable outhauls.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years Chinook had a reliable single (metal) pin collar, I never had problems. Then I bought a new carbon, and the plastic composite collars crumbled after less than 5 uses. They sent me new ones, I haven't had time to whack the old ones off (strong glue), so I duck tape the broken piece into place, and it is reliable. On my local WS forum, people are replacing the composite Chinook collars once a year because the composite pins are shearing off, apparently because slight misalignment causes some lateral force as the pin is forced in. They thought my duck tape system would solve their problem because you could exactly align the hole before pushing the piece in. I know those RDG type collars can be hard to move (I have Aeron which takes a lot of strength with 2 thumbs to push out) but it seems reliable. Why did they move away from the metal single pin in the first place?
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The collars are not glued on. They are just a tight fit. Just knock it off with a punch or screwdriver. I just replaced one last week on my Pro Carbon 1 Chinook. But it is four years old and that is the only thing that has gone wrong, ie, one broken pin on the collar.

KMF
volley1961

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the quick replies. Nice to know I'm not alone. Chinook is working with me and may replace the tail piece.
As far as loop n' go, it is a good system - there is a tutorial on the Chinook site about keeping the lines straight.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that, used the boom many times on my bread'n'butter Gorge sail (5.2), but it doesn't address the twisting that often occurs when I loosen the OH on the water or run it loose for a while (for several reasons). I'm likely to fugheddabout the loop'n'go feature and just lace it by hand in some way that lets me adjust OH tension without allowing line twist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: