myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail advice requested - New (used) board! F2 Phoenix 320
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Sail advice requested - New (used) board! F2 Phoenix 320 Reply with quote

Woohooo!

Just picked up what I consider to be a steal on craiglist, a whole setup in excellent condition(F2 Phoenix 320, fiberspar 460 mast, Hawaiian proline boom, Chinook mast base, foot, fin) for $250.

I got hooked last summer sailing an older (90s?) Tyronsea with a similar rig with the help and advice from the good folks here. That board became a pain in the ass with fitting modern mast foot to an old one-design mast track. I had problems with the foot slipping around in the track no matter what I tried. In late October also I lost the centerboard and so that was basically the end of that. I've been watching craigslist since and jumped on this, although I don't really need the entire rig.

So I'm pumped to try out the new board, might even get me out in the 48 deg water this week. I have a 6/4 wetsuit, gloves and boots for surfing that I can use. Not sure how well these will work in the air/wind and holding onto a boom but I'm gonna give it a go. I hate wetsuits in general and can't wait for next summer! Cool

The Phoenix is 188L, about a foot shorter (10.5'), a couple inches wider (27.8"), thicker and much lighter (24.3 lbs) than the Tyronsea. It also has a retractable centerboard. I think this is going to be a great board to progress on.

I'll be selling most of the rig components (let me know if anyone is interested in details/pics) since I already have the same setup. I think I'll buy another sail with that money and I'm looking for suggestions. I sail in RI ocean, water ranges from flat to chop to waves, typical conditions are 8 - 15 knots, occasionally up to and above 20 kts. I've been windsurfing for about a half a season (10-12) times and can uphaul, beach start, barely able to water start only in the right windy/gusty conditions, beginning to tack and jybe. Haven't worked out strapping in with a harness yet. I'm 6'0" and weigh 180-185lbs.

I'll be looking for something used, probably in the $200 range but can go higher if I have to. I'd really like to get planning in the typical wind conditions that we have here (<15 kts). Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify my long post Smile , I'm mostly looking for a recommended sail size here, not necessarily a specific sail (although that would be great too).
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<15 kts.? GO BIG! I would recommend an 8 or 9 meter Sailworks Retro. No cams, super forgiving & rangey, easy to rig. You don't mention if you have a 490 mast, or are willing to buy one, might be a limiting factor.
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah I'd rather not buy a bigger mast too due to cost, but it looks like the largest sails for a 460 are under 8.0

Maybe I should just make do with my 460 & 5.8 until I can afford both a new mast and sail? How much does a (used) 490 mast go for?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 is a good size for an all-around longboard sail, and it will rig on a 460.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find on the Phoenix! Transitional longboards like that are getting harder and harder to find.... You'd be smart to hang on to and take care of that board!

As for sail sizes - you'll ultimately want at least 2 sails for your wind conditions. You'll want a big sail for lighter days (7.5+), and a smaller sail (5.5-6.0) for the windy days. That will cover you from lightwind, non-planing cruising to 25 knot overpowered madness!

Spennie is right about maybe needing a new mast.... 8ish is probably the largest sail you can fit on a 460cm mast.

One could consider a 2-cam freeride sail for your larger sail. There's endless debate about whether to go with or without cams, especially in lighter wind. I prefer cams in sails 7.0 and up if the wind is light or gusty, no cams for smaller than 7.0. Others will disagree... best to chat with other windsurfers at your beach for what will be best in the areas you sail.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 is a great size sail, as James Douglass said. plus, you can race at the East Coast Windsurfing Festival, LI and/or CC versions, next year in the 7.5 limited class. (you would need a 10 or so for the open class).

btw, is your last name Thurston? if so, are you Steve Thurston of Thurston sails? or a relative? or is your first name Thurston? in which case none of the questions above are relevant.

Have a great day and an even greater time windsurfing!!
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No planing or harness yet-- sails needing 490 (8.0+) mast at your stage will be a handful. Echo opinion that 7.5 is a perfect step up from 5.8. Many models of sails available, cams not necessary. I have Ezzy Zephyr in that size, very powerful for its size at low tension setting, extremely tunable for wind conditions, some people (me slightly) do not like the long boom length (225+ cm). I would rather have Hot Sails Maui Superfreak UL 8.0 or new GPX 8.0, rig on a 460. dhmark
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around, not all 8.0 sails rig on 490's. My Naish Indy 8.2 rigs on a 460 with 22 cm extension. I'd check out brands that will accept the Fiberspar mast.

Coachg
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thurston, As others have stated get something big! Find out how far out your booms will adjust and get the biggest sail you can that will rig on what you already have. I use a 7.5 more than any other sail here in Ct. for winds in the 10-20 kt. range. I find I can use the 7.5 when the wind is gusting into the very low 20's without much problem, then go to my 5.8

I have a 9.0 but hardly ever use it. The 7.5 is way easier to throw around, my favorite big sail!

Agree with everything others have stated. all good advice. Stay away from cams you don't need them, they can make learning more difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: