myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any tips for windsurfing fitness?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I began using gyms (in about 2005), I never even think about blisters anymore. A winter in the gym, barehanded, conditions my palms just fine.

BTW, I should add regarding the "Superman" exercise above, or any other sport simulation or cross training, that they confuse our motor learning skills to the extent they impair performance in the sport. Anyone competing seriously in some sport needs to be aware of that and consider ways to avoid such simulation. Example: do pure resistance training to develop the required strength, and use actual skill training -- throwing, jumping, catching, hitting, whatever plus scrimmage -- to develop the actual neuromuscular/muscle memory pathways employed in the game.

Andrei and I aren't worried about gold medals, so we have more leeway in our training.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replicating windsurfing is difficult without actually sailing in the wind on something. My partial solution is super old school, slightly updated. I suspend a boom arm from the ceiling with very thick shock cord in several loops. Substituting shock cord for plain line adds significant movement to the boom and better represents the constant adjustment in real sailing. I use it both with and without a harness.

One of the more interesting exercises incorporates a beater board cut roughly in half. I raise the boom very high simply by looping the shock cord through the eye-hooks installed on the boom and back to the ceiling attachments. In the footstraps and out of the harness, I bounce just as in a chop hop and lift the board just like a tweaked jump. Do it like any rep/set exercise, on both sides. Amazing.

I think we all realize there's not a singular exercise for everyone, and cross-training is a dated yet perfectly apt prescription for effective fitness. Apart from specific, core strengthening routines, the lift most closely linked to windsurfing to my mind is the simple clean (without the jerk). Done properly it hits nearly every muscle group and all the little stabilizer muscles get a work out as well. See a trainer for exact form to avoid lower back issues.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
the "Superman" ... trapeeze bar suspended overhead ... flying through the air ... Turn in midair ... your leap footprint can span 20 feet laterally ... the sky's the limit

I can't quite picture this. Maybe mo can draw us a little illustration?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with in-place squat jumps. Add counterweighted cables for altitude and hang time. Then jump sideways, landing alternating, linked, rhythmic jumps to the right and left of that original center spot. Work up to greater altitude, hang time, and lateral range as strength and skill increase. Add music and you're in The Zone ... until, that is, reality in the form of oxygen transport limitations come down on you like a ton of bricks.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is describing plyometrics. Except he's using weighted assistance to hoist his butt like an acrobat. I'd give a hen's tooth to get a vid of that. Or of his slashing-harder-than-most. But we digress.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my offseason stuff, and it works pretty well.

Join a climbing gym. Climbing simulates windsurfing pretty well (in some aspects). Take it super easy, especially at first while your finger and forearm tendons are getting used to it.

My typical workout is ride my road bike 5 miles to the climbing gym. Climb 5 sets of 5 minutes straight (my gym has auto-belays, but up and down climbing an easy boulder problem works just as well) with 5 minutes rest between. Ride 5 miles home.

In order to increase aerobic capacity you need a couple of long days as well. I do a 25-35 mile Sunday ride and then a 20 mile ride during the week.

I'm guessing that in Winnipeg skiing or jogging would replace cycling.

I'm sure you could overthink this and end up having your VO2 max measured while someone pricks your finger, but at the end of the day climbing 2-3 time a week with solid cardio will give you everything you need.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
In order to increase aerobic capacity you need a couple of long days as well.

Or a quick intervals session. Much less time, much greater benefit, less cardiovascular degradation compared to LSD aerobics.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks to everyone for fitness tips! Reply with quote

Folks, your help is much appreciated, I will do my best to use next three months before the ABK clinic!

Aerobics is not an issue for me, I swim 2600m twice a week, it should be enough Smile

Happy holidays everyone!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you; you're already set up for the next step: If you don't interject some full-bore sprints in that swim already, simply add some. The benefits are enormous compared to steady state running/swimming/cycling/etc.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
In order to increase aerobic capacity you need a couple of long days as well.

Or a quick intervals session. Much less time, much greater benefit, less cardiovascular degradation compared to LSD aerobics.

http://www.sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: