myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nelson Mandela
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
not that long ago to the South in the 60's that was all democrats standing for apartheid in America. Idea
If you'd stayed in school past the seventh grade, you might understand.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
The left somehow gets away antisemitism with constant attacks on Jews and Israel, but somehow that's not racism.
If a black person strays from the DNC plantation they are destroyed by the left, ala Clarence Thomas, Alan West, etc... etc...
Sorry you don't get to be the party of civil rights, look back not that long ago to the South in the 60's that was all democrats standing for apartheid in America. Idea

Answer this super genius...If the left is anti semetic , as you state above....why do Jews vote for Dems in massive majorities?
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB--it's not just your language that is offensive, it is your appalling lack of knowledge. The Democratic party of the old south that perpetuated segregation was co-opted by Richard Nixon. It is now the Republican Party, and in particular the Tea Party. It is an astonishing display of ignorance that you don't understand that.

I didn't know that you could top your "Obongo" slur, but between that and likening Mandela to Margaret Thatcher you really have gone over the edge. Mandela was a uniter who denounced violence. Thatcher was a divider who rolled the British unions. Not in the same league, not in the same league as Solzhenitsyn. She had a mean streak that got her scorn from many when she died.
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe that the right-wing attacks on Obama are racist. When I lived in Oklahoma, Clinton was attacked with the same level of vituperation and loathing. And I was in Texas during the Kennedy presidency, and heard the same sort of vitriolic attacks aimed at JFK. I believe this sort of demonization is inspired by hyper-partisanship, or, maybe more accurately, tribalism.

The left is not immune to the tendency to demonize. Nixon, Johnson and Cheny come to mind. However, I feel the tendency is less pronounced on the left, because the left ideology is more about social justice, while the right is more concerned about individual rights and responsibilities.

So, to the liberals who post here, I would say be cautious about when you invoke charges of racism.

To the conservatives who post here, I would ask that you consider Obama as a political opponent, and not as an enemy.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So, to the liberals who post here, I would say be cautious about when you invoke charges of racism.

To the conservatives who post here, I would ask that you consider Obama as a political opponent, and not as an enemy."

pointster, very well said.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times at the memorial, it must be time for a selfie, but Michelle is not impressed.

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you supposed to dress like a tramp, pout your lips and do one of those sideways peace signs when doing selfies......amateurs! Very classy though, I have to say Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
I believe this sort of demonization is inspired by hyper-partisanship, or, maybe more accurately, tribalism.

The left is not immune to the tendency to demonize.

To the conservatives who post here, I would ask that you consider Obama as a political opponent, and not as an enemy.

My criticism of Obama is due to my total conviction, clearly supported by his own words and deeds, that he will almost destroy the U.S. and with it the rest of the world. He is not a political opponent. He is a proven pathological liar whose publicly stated and demonstrated goals includes socializing our health care system, social justice including redistributing wealth even though it means harming the economy, weakening the free world in very dangerous times by apologizing and literally and figuratively bowing to those who would and will harm it, showing our allies we cannot be trusted by throwing Israel under the bus, bypassing the constitution and the congress, decreeing what level of financial success is acceptable, spending trillions the country does not have, suppressing free choice in many arenas, and on and on and on by the pages full.

He demonstrates zero leadership ability, changes his mind constantly, ADMITS to being uninformed on any controversial issues including his only significant success, has made the U.S. a global laughing stock, accepts and demands zero accountability ... and on and on and on and on

That, Senor Poinster, is an enemy of the free world whether it's intended as such or not.

"The left is not immune to a tendency to demonize" is like saying "The sky is not immune to a tendency to be overhead."
"Someone should defecate and urinate in Palin's mouth" ... ignored by BSNBC until Fox News called them out on it.

"Fox News and the GOP are the enemy of Mexicans" ... from the teleprompter.

"Romney didn't pay his taxes and hides money overseas."
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pointster, even though you're a liberal, I think you'd be interesting to talk to. At least you're not crazy.

I also think Mac and I in person might end up in a fist fight. However, strangely he and I seem to agree on some points regarding the NSA, Snowden, and Meta data and campaign contributions. I dislike the constant racist attacks because they are not true.

Boggs and I plan on sailing the Tower some day (I hope)

And Chandler, he's too afraid to shake my hand at the beach....try it some time.

As for Obama, IMO he is not a good leader.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poinster--a very interesting take "this sort of demonization is inspired by hyper-partisanship, or, maybe more accurately, tribalism." Hardly comforting, since tribalism is by its nature prejudicial, and treats the members of other tribes as less than human. It hardly excuses "Obango", or Obama phones--I know of no world in which those attacks are not racist.

But the problem with your conclusion is that it doesn't match the facts. In fact, most people in this country harbor negative views of blacks, it has increased while Obama is President, and those attitudes are much more common in Republicans:

It just isn’t true. From detailed studies well before Obama became President http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/surveys/docs/racialattitudes.pdf

To polling widely reported just before the last Presidential election, here by the Economist Reader:

Quote:
Republicans were more likely than Democrats to express racial prejudice in the questions measuring explicit racism (79 percent among Republicans compared with 32 percent among Democrats)
Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward blacks whether they...

That poll showed that 56% of Americans harbored negative attitudes towards blacks, and 57% towards Hispanics. For attitudes towards blacks, that was an increase of 5% during Obama's tenure.

Or:

Quote:
April 11, 2011 • By Tom Jacobs •
A recent poll finding nearly half of Mississippi Republicans disapprove of interracial marriage is a disturbing reminder of the continuing prejudice faced by minority groups in 21st-century America. Why is such bias seemingly immune to eradication, and why does it seem to be more prevalent among social conservatives?
A fascinating new study from Italy suggests at least part of the answer can be traced to the way we process information and form political attitudes. Psychologists Luigi Castelliand Luciana Carraro of the University of Padua present evidence that our perception of minority groups is often distorted due to inaccurate recall of information.
This phenomenon, they add, is more pronounced among social conservatives.
Presented with a series of facts about members of two groups, “Conservatives developed more negative impressions towards the minority group," which were reinforced by "consistent memory biases," they report in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
Strikingly, the researchers found this effect without making reference to race, religion or sexual orientation. All it needs to be activated, it seems, is the presence of a larger group and a smaller one.

Or then the Pew Center, with a very detailed study on political attitudes including those about race: http://www.people-press.org/2012/06/04/section-8-values-about-immigration-and-race/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: