myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama's Epic Failures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 198, 199, 200  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear control or nuclear proliferation? That is the question.
It seems that Obama and Chamberlain's, oops I mean Kerry's attempt at placating Iran's nuclear desires just may lead to a proliferation.
How short sighted is our administration, as the Mideast enters madness?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saudi Arabia says it won't rule out building nuclear weapons

Jon Stone
Friday 27 March 2015

Saudi Arabia will not rule out building or acquiring nuclear weapons, the country’s ambassador to the United States has indicated.

Asked whether Saudi Arabia would ever build nuclear weapons in an interview with US news channel CNN, Adel Al-Jubeir said the subject was “not something we would discuss publicly”.

Pressed later on the subject he said: “This is not something that I can comment on, nor would I comment on.”

The ambassador’s reticence to rule out a military nuclear programme may reignite concerns that the autocratic monarchy has its eye on a nuclear arsenal.

Western intelligence agencies believe that the Saudi monarchy paid for up to 60% of Pakistan’s nuclear programme in return for the ability to buy warheads for itself at short notice, the Guardian newspaper reported in 2010.

The two countries maintain close relations and are sometimes said to have a special relationship; they currently have close military ties and conduct joint exercises.

The Saudi Arabian regime also already possesses medium-range ballistic missiles in the form of the Royal Saudi Strategic Missile Force.

In addition it has significant nuclear expertise in the form of a civilian nuclear programme of the kind Iran says it wants to develop.

In 2012 the Saudi Arabian government threatened to acquire nuclear weapons were neighbouring regional power Iran ever to do so.

“Politically, it would be completely unacceptable to have Iran with a nuclear capability and not the kingdom,” a senior Saudi source told The Times newspaper at the time.

The United States and other Western allies say a deal with Iran on its nuclear programme is possible. Iran denies it is building nuclear weapons.

The news comes days after Saudi Arabia launched a military operation in neighbouring Yemen aimed at suppression a rebel group that is attempting to form a central government.

Saudi’s military operation against the advancing Shia Houthi group has been joined by Egyptian, Jordanian and Moroccan forces.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-says-it-wont-rule-out-building-nuclear-weapons-10139229.html
mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there have been more toxic spills into the water supply in Virginia. It seems to have affected the brains of some. Evidence mounts, like:

Quote:
And where is the US? Scurried out of town with our tails between our legs. Our influence in the region is virtually gone.

Of course the news doesn't get through the bubble. News like:

Quote:
(CNN)U.S.-led warplanes continued to hammer ISIS positions around the pivotal Iraqi battleground city of Tikrit, stepping in at the Iraqi Prime Minister's request to get at what a spokesman called "difficult targets."

The U.S. military announced Thursday that it and its allies conducted 17 airstrikes around Tikrit, going after three ISIS checkpoints, two bridges, two staging areas and other targets such as a roadblock and a "command and control facility."

The idea is that this aerial bombardment will pave the way for Iraqi forces to go in and take control on the ground.

"The ongoing Iraqi and coalition airstrikes are setting the conditions for offensive action," said Lt. Gen. James L. Terry, commanding general of the U.S.-led coalition.

Iraqi forces have tried multiple times to win back Tikrit since the group, which calls itself the Islamic State, conquered the city in June as part of its campaign to amass an expansive Islamic caliphate. And each time, so far, they've failed.

or

Quote:
Ever since the civic unrest in Ukraine evolved into a Russian territorial grab, Washington pundits and policy-makers have mounted a chorus of support for imposing "Iran-style sanctions" against Moscow. Yesterday's announcement by President Barack Obama of new measures targeting "key sectors of the Russian economy" in retaliation for Russian annexation of Crimea has moved U.S. policy one small step further in that direction.

In assessing the possibilities of applying the Iran model to Russia, it is essential to understand what has enabled this recent success of Iran sanctions. After all, there is a certain irony in the emergence of Iran sanctions as the preferred panacea for unlocking thorny foreign policy challenges. After all, for nearly three decades, Iran — and, in a similar vein, Cuba — has served as the poster child for the limitations of sanctions as a policy tool.

Over the course of the past four years, however, the sanctions against Iran — and the context for them internationally and within Iran — have changed dramatically. Since 2010, the sanctions' impact on Iran has been severe: its oil exports and revenues plummeted; the value of its currency eroded; trade disruptions shuttered businesses and exacerbated inflation. Quietly, a backlash emerged among Iran's political elites against the country's creeping isolation, and the June 2013 presidential election ushered in a moderate new president and the beginnings of a diplomatic breakthrough on the nuclear crisis — achievements that most observers attribute to the impact of sanctions.
http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/markaz/posts/2014/03/21-iran-sanctions-russia-crimea-nuclear

I guess we will hear about how left wing Brookings is.

Of course, the Iranians obtained centrifuges while George W. Bush was President, and had 18,000 when Obama took office. The right is trying to ignore that, and block a treaty that would reduce that number dramatically.

Irrational hysteria in the service of Obama hatred. It just might be the water.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do try to pay attention. The subject was Yemen. The US has left it to Iran.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got news for you NW
The middle east is already in complete madness... The experts don't even know which side the should take... Do you? Shiites? Like in Iraq? Or Sunnis ? Like in Yemen.
Mr G we are supplying the Saudis with intelligence and arms in Yemen as we speak ... Nobody is giving Yemen to Iran ...
It's pretty easy to be an arm chair sec of state when your sitting at home getting ready for a 4.5 day on the central coast...
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Mr G we are supplying the Saudis with intelligence and arms in Yemen as we speak ...

You mean the same quality of intelligence that we had in Iraq a year or so ago when we also had no-one on the ground.........and we completely missed ISIS? The Middle East and NE Africa hasn't seen this level of chaos in decades. Create a vacuum and something is going to fill it. This President has created that vacuum.

“We’re in a goddamn free fall here,” said James Jeffrey, who served as Obama’s ambassador to Iraq

“The mood here is that we really are at a crisis point that is unprecedented in recent memory,” said Suzanne Maloney, a senior fellow in the Middle East policy center at the Brookings Institution

Mount Rushmore is safe. Not so sure about the rest of us.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see successful outcomes of any Middle East policy in my lifetime.. We abandoned Lebanon in 1983, giving birth to Al queda .. There's no easy answers unless we occupy.... Is that what you want?
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I got news for you NW
The middle east is already in complete madness... The experts don't even know which side the should take... Do you? Shiites? Like in Iraq? Or Sunnis ? Like in Yemen.
Mr G we are supplying the Saudis with intelligence and arms in Yemen as we speak ... Nobody is giving Yemen to Iran ...
It's pretty easy to be an arm chair sec of state when your sitting at home getting ready for a 4.5 day on the central coast...

It's not news, it has been that way for years, but it is getting way more worse, way more faster (I pride myself in my word craft), and that can't be denied. Of course it's hard to tell who the good guys are anymore, we bailed out of there, then ISIS came in, Iran saw that things were going to hell real fast so they (in a brilliant move) decided to help us, how could we refuse? They are burning people in cages!!!!! Iran won't leave after the smoke settles, if it ever does, mark my words, Iran just got a whole lot bigger, and they'd love to add Yemen to their territory, only the Saudis are standing in their way, nobody else.
Ever seen the Saudis take charge in an offensive like this before recently? Me neither. Because they now know that we can't be trusted to do the right thing anymore. What's interesting will be to see who takes out the Iranian nuke plants first, Israel or the Saudis, I'd have to say that today it would be a toss-up. Neither one of them no longer have any reason to look to us for help, Obama took care of that.

One more thing, it turned out to be a 4.7 to 5.2 day today, but there was a good south swell running, should be bigger tomorrow with better wind.
COME ON DOWN!!!
Seriously.

Last edited by nw30 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/the-confused-persons-guide-to-middle-east-conflicts/388883/
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, why is it that you don't appear to see the religious wars between the Shia and Sunnis, to include civil wars in multiple countries? The foolish idea that the US can go full in everywhere and control what's going on is ludicrous. It's a stupid idea that sensible folks don't want anything to do with. Moreover, to conveniently blame President Obama is hardly credible, but you or others here seem to revel in it. Why is that?

Last edited by swchandler on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I have yet to see successful outcomes of any Middle East policy in my lifetime.. We abandoned Lebanon in 1983, giving birth to Al queda .. There's no easy answers unless we occupy.... Is that what you want?

There is a significant difference between occupation and a residual force to maintain stability. You and the President seem to struggle with that concept. Those better qualified don't struggle as you and Barry do. General Petraeus understands.......

"What has happened in Iraq is a tragedy — for the Iraqi people, for the region and for the entire world. It is tragic foremost because it didn't have to turn out this way. The hard-earned progress of the Surge was sustained for over three years. What transpired after that, starting in late 2011[let me think, what happened at that time?] came about as a result of mistakes and misjudgments whose consequences were predictable. And there is plenty of blame to go around for that........... in hindsight, few, I suspect, would contend that our approach was what it might — or should — have been. In fact, if there is one lesson that I hope we’ve learned from the past few years, it is that there is a linkage between the internal conditions of countries in the Middle East and our own vital security interests."

Amen. Blindingly obvious to all but those who keep their partisan blinkers firmly in plsce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 149 of 200

Jump to: