myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama's Epic Failures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 198, 199, 200  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Redd Foxx saying this, but it is hardly original. Some people can ruin a wet dream. Looking for the dark lining in a silver cloud. There is no doubt that employment has come back after the housing/banking implosion. There is little doubt that the recovery would have been stronger with a more robust and construction focused stimulus. I will accept criticism of Obama as being too timid, or too focused on health care. That is a legitimate disagreement on priorities.

It is not clear how much of the lower participation in the labor force is due to age. Here are the facts on the aging population:

Quote:
The latest U.S. Census Bureau brief on data from the 2010 Census shows seniors increasing faster than younger populations, raising the nation's median age from 35.3 in 2000 to 37.2 in 2010, with seven states having a median age of 40 or older.

In the year 2000, people 65+ represented 12.4% of the population—a number expected to swell to 19% of the population by 2030. Between 2000 and 2010, the 45 to 64 population grew 31.5 percent to 81.5 million, and now makes up 26. 4 percent of the total U.S. population. This rapid growth is due to aging of the Baby Boom generation.

January 2011 ushered in the first of approximately 77 million Baby Boomers, born from 1946 through 1964 and surging toward the gates of retirement. Each year more than 3.5 million Boomers turn 55. Their swelling numbers predict that, by 2030, there will be about 72.1 million older persons, more than twice their number in 2000.

Read more: http://transgenerational.org/aging/demographics.htm#ixzz3ewpJ2JgI

Think more deeply. Try analysis rather than repeating talking points.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wages are still falling Mac
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wages have been falling for decades. It was clear to me 30 years ago that the US could not continue to consume 25% of the world's resources forever. That has happened. Jobs have been offshored, some of that was inevitable, some was enabled by Clinton and the Republicans. The incessant attacks on unions by the far right haven't helped, although that is not the root cause.

The question I have for the Republicans is what do you propose to help? The question I have for the rich, is do you feel any responsibility to invest in America in a way that creates decent jobs? Answer those questions if you want to win a presidential race. Blaming the Mexicans will not do it. But Trump was toast, it was only a matter of time. How many will he take down with him? Cruz, for sure.

Quote:
Slowly but surely, some of Donald Trump‘s Republican rivals have come out to condemn his remarks about Mexican immigrant rapists and criminals. George Pataki got the ball rolling this week, and criticisms by Rick Perry, Marco Rubio, and others followed.

But Ted Cruz––who defended Trump earlier this week––is still praising him. In a Meet the Press preview clip out tonight, Cruz told Chuck Todd,”I like Donald Trump. He’s bold, he’s brash.”
http://www.mediaite.com/online/ted-cruz-i-salute-donald-trump-for-speaking-out-on-immigration/
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
Looking for the dark lining in a silver cloud.

I'm a realist, and want the full story before I pass judgment. Today's media has been praising the drop in the employment rate for years as well as the number of new jobs. Rosy? Only in the optimist's eyes.

How much progress have we really made? Some, but we have a loooooooong way to go. No praise here for Obama.

And I have also posted stories that acknowledge what you say about the retiring baby boomers adding to the unemployment numbers.

Mac said:
Quote:
The question I have for the Republicans is what do you propose to help? The question I have for the rich, is do you feel any responsibility to invest in America in a way that creates decent jobs?

The republicans candidates will have plenty to say, but it's not yet time. I think the rich are holding on to their money until they get a pro business/jobs republican in office. A this point, there is little or no trust in Obama from the right.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I think the rich are holding on to their money until they get a pro business/jobs republican in office. A this point, there is little or no trust in Obama from the right.

Or at LEAST until Greece's financial collapse dissolves the EU, rattles the global market, and leads to a BIG correction, aka a large scale investment opportunity.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "rich" are investing in vc, and private Equity like never before.. The "rich " invest when they see opportunity , not dependent on the occupant of the White House .. Profit margins, corporate profits, market returns vastly better with dem in White House ... Not buying your Fox Biz line of reasoning.... This is what I do during the day and I don't see any of it.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
techno900 wrote:
I think the rich are holding on to their money until they get a pro business/jobs republican in office. A this point, there is little or no trust in Obama from the right.

Or at LEAST until Greece's financial collapse dissolves the EU, rattles the global market, and leads to a BIG correction, aka a large scale investment opportunity.

A Greek collapse would not "dissolve" the EU.. They would get the boot, revalue the currency and start fresh , like Argentina ... This would be painful short term, but not a massive event.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The republicans candidates will have plenty to say, but it's not yet time."

Republicans always talk about creating jobs, but they never offer any specifics about how they will do it. The talking points fall back on President Obama not meeting the grade using this statistic or that, and that Republicans can miraculously turn things around in the future. Why isn't it the time for some candor right now? Many of the Republican candidates bring the topic up in their campaign, but there's really nothing offered to say how they will do it. Will they indirectly create jobs by getting the government out of the way through deregulation? What kind of deregulation are they talking about, and how does that generate good paying jobs in the private sector?

Maybe I should have some faith and accept the idea that they will open up and talk about it after they win in November 2016. Are we simply to assume that success will be synonymous with a Republican in the White House? Is it like a present we can open on Christmas to wild surprise and our ultimate satisfaction?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in:
"10 Shark Attacks in Carolinas this Year!- Obama's Fault"
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cluster of 19 juvenile great white sharks in the surf zone in Monterey Bay. Obama's fault. The Republican's have a program to prevent attacks--but they won't tell you until after they're elected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 162 of 200

Jump to: