myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama's Epic Failures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 198, 199, 200  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic successes is more like it:

Quote:
1. More net jobs have been created under Obama than under both Bushes combined.

That’s right. In less than 6 years, more new jobs have been created under this president than in 12 full years of George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush. As of last August’s jobs report, 5,142,000 net jobs have been created since February 2009. Compare that to 2,637,000 under H.W. and 1,282,000 under W. And we’ve had about 200,000 new jobs a month since then.

Of course, if you don’t subtract the millions of jobs that were lost as Obama inherited W.’s economy, Obama’s number would grow to over 10 million.

Savvy Fox viewers will throw out two counter-spells to undo this unbearable fact. First, we still haven’t recovered all the full-time jobs lost in the Great Recession. Also, the labor force participation rate is at its lowest point since the 1970s. You could then point out that Baby Boomers have started retiring, which is a good thing, and people are spending more time in school. But I’d concede the point. “You’re right,” you can say, as UC Berkeley economist Brad DeLong has. “The economy is crappy. Just far less crappy than it was under both Bushes. And better than just about every other economy in the world.”

And it’s getting better. The rolling average of new unemployment claims — our best measure of layoffs — is at its lowest point since 2000. There haven’t been this many job openings since the end of the Clinton administration, and this could easily be the best year of job creation since 1999. And it could be a lot better — if Republicans weren’t intentionally sabotaging it.

3. We need more Solyndras.

Everything Republicans believe about the stimulus is wrong. About 97 percent of economists agree that the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act lifted the economy. And the most maligned part of that law was one of its most successful aspects.

In 2012, Michael Grunwald, who literally wrote the book on the stimulus, countered the GOP’s constant harping on the failure of Solyndra Corp., beneficiary of a loan program that fed billions into clean energy, by saying, “More, please!”

“Solyndra was one of the losers, but the winners might change the world,” he wrote.

Grunwald was right — and the right was wrong. The loan program is now expected to just about break even, but even more important, it has helped create a green-tech industry that barely existed in this country before 2009.

How successful were these profitable cash injections into clean energy?

“The cost of providing electricity from wind and solar power plants has plummeted over the last five years, so much so that in some markets renewable generation is now cheaper than coal or natural gas,” reports The New York Times‘ Diane Cardwell.

And how did the stimulus make this possible? By doing little things like helping the largest solar plant in the U.S. get up and running.

The affordability of new energy sources, along with America’s oil boom, may be behind Saudi Arabia’s decision to flood the oil market and lower gas prices in hopes of stunting both industries. (Thanks, Obama.)

But the genie is out of the bottle and the world we save may be the one we all currently share.

4. Republicans are paying the richest to get richest-er.

While your uncle is recovering from that news, slip this in: “I really hope Mitt Romney runs in 2016.”

“Me too, I think,” he may reply. “But why?”

“Well, I love documentaries about Mitt Romney losing. Also, I still want to see his tax returns. I think they’re the most important historical documents of the early 21st century. It’s important to know your tax rate is higher than a quarter-billionaire.”

“Um. More pie, please.”

One big reason that President Obama had an easy time making a case about the economy in 2012 is that Mitt Romney was a living example of what’s gone so wrong. Mitt pays around 13 percent in taxes, he claims, while nurses and plumbers pay far higher rates. The richest 400 Americans pay 18 percent on average, probably because they don’t donate as much to their church as Mitt does. That’s down from 30 percent in 1996, just before the GOP demanded a huge capital gains tax cut for the rich in exchange for giving poor kids health insurance. W. cut those rates again and added a huge cut for stock dividends. Because we all know going to the mailbox to get a check is harder work than unclogging a sewer or caring for a sick child.

Tax breaks for investments — and the people who manage them — are supposed to grow the economy. Instead, they massively grow the wealth of the richest .01 percent. Between 1929 and 1980, half of all wealth went to the bottom 90 percent. Since then, only 12 percent has.

Inequality is higher than it’s been since 1928. And you know what happened in 1929.

“Then why hasn’t that libturd Obama done anything about it?”

He has. You’ve just been trained to hate it.
http://www.nationalmemo.com/5-things-tell-republican-relatives-thanksgiving-dinner/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=MM_frequency_six&utm_campaign=Morning%20Memo%20%28New%29%20--%20November%2026%202014

Memo to the fact free haters.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil at $73 and going much lower.
Apple $700b, going higher.
S&P 500 at all time high
NAZ almost at 2000 peak.
Economy growing at 4% in q3
Real estate market soaring
Interest rates very low
70 and sunny
Happy Thanksgiving fellow wind worshippers!
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
S&P 500 at all time high
NAZ almost at 2000 peak.
Interest rates very low
70 and sunny

40 and raining in the northeast, threat of slushy snow.

Darned president! Can't he even get the weather right?

All that other stuff? That was Bush's good planning and Romney's accurate predictions.

</sarcasm>

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
S&P 500 at all time high
NAZ almost at 2000 peak.
Interest rates very low
70 and sunny

You might want to consider that 1 in 5 People in America are celebrating Thanksgiving with food stamps. To me this is reminiscent of the soup lines in the Great Depression.

Meanwhile, Lady Gaga just bought the house across the street from me.... Laughing I can see through her home (all glass) from my bedroom, so will be able to report what gender she (or he) is. Laughing
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

You might want to consider that 1 in 5 People in America are celebrating Thanksgiving with food stamps. To me this is reminiscent of the soup lines in the Great Depression.

Meanwhile, Lady Gaga just bought the house across the street from me.... Laughing I can see through her home (all glass) from my bedroom, so will be able to report what gender she (or he) is. Laughing

And Mitt Romney has car elevators and dancing horses and millions stashed in his off-shore, non-American banks.

So what?

uwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
S&P 500 at all time high
NAZ almost at 2000 peak.
Interest rates very low
70 and sunny

During the soup kitchen era, approximately 25% of the workforce were without jobs. The current unemployment rate is approximately 6%.

To be eligible for food stamps, you don't have to be unemployed. A family of 4 can have a gross monthly income of approximately $2,500.00 per month and receive food stamps. That's an annual income of approximately $30,000.00 per year, about equal to the federal minimum wage per person if both adults in the household are working.

How is that "reminiscent" of the great depression soup lines?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, my mother grew up dirt poor in Milwaukee. During the Depression, her father was a true Boxcar Willie, riding the rails to find work. Her mother scrubbed floors on her hands and knees. She was forced to wear shoes several sizes too small, permanently damaging her feet. I can assure you that this year is NOTHING like the Great Depression.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudis drowning the world w crude..$70 and dropping. Sea drill and Pioneer , two of the larger fracking ops in free fall ...welcome to world of $50 oil, should turbo charge the global economy.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

Except that people in many states can now also buy ANYTHING with their EBT cards, and many more eat on the dole so they can save their money for the fun stuff. Could anyone in 1934 buy the equivalent of TIVO and Nintendo systems, pot, booze, tobacco, etc. with their dole credit? Were cash-RICH mortgage-holders bailed out just because they CHOSE not to use their vast wealth to pay off upside-down mortgages? (None of those claims are disputable.)
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
Except that people in many states can now also buy ANYTHING with their EBT cards, and many more eat on the dole so they can save their money for the fun stuff. Could anyone in 1934 buy the equivalent of TIVO and Nintendo systems, pot, booze, tobacco, etc. with their dole credit?

And some people can today buy all kinds of cool stuff with their government-issued disability checks.

Right, Mikey?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 107 of 200

Jump to: