myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama's Epic Failures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 198, 199, 200  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
nw30 wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
I got news for you NW
The middle east is already in complete madness... The experts don't even know which side the should take... Do you? Shiites? Like in Iraq? Or Sunnis ? Like in Yemen.
Mr G we are supplying the Saudis with intelligence and arms in Yemen as we speak ... Nobody is giving Yemen to Iran ...
It's pretty easy to be an arm chair sec of state when your sitting at home getting ready for a 4.5 day on the central coast...

It's not news, it has been that way for years, but it is getting way more worse, way more faster (I pride myself in my word craft), and that can't be denied. Of course it's hard to tell who the good guys are anymore, we bailed out of there, then ISIS came in, Iran saw that things were going to hell real fast so they (in a brilliant move) decided to help us, how could we refuse? They are burning people in cages!!!!! Iran won't leave after the smoke settles, if it ever does, mark my words, Iran just got a whole lot bigger, and they'd love to add Yemen to their territory, only the Saudis are standing in their way, nobody else.
Ever seen the Saudis take charge in an offensive like this before recently? Me neither. Because they now know that we can't be trusted to do the right thing anymore. What's interesting will be to see who takes out the Iranian nuke plants first, Israel or the Saudis, I'd have to say that today it would be a toss-up. Neither one of them no longer have any reason to look to us for help, Obama took care of that.

One more thing, it turned out to be a 4.7 to 5.2 day today, but there was a good south swell running, should be bigger tomorrow with better wind.
COME ON DOWN!!!
Seriously.

I have no idea where to go , but I will take up on the offer. Can you give me 48 hours warning?

Your 48 hour warning starts right now.
As far as I can tell, it will be good to great along the coast this weekend thru most of next week. Take your pick, Waddell, Davenport, Scott Creek (lots of kiters there though), or farther down to Arroyo Laguna (my spot), a pretty big south swell is running right now.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperbole in the service of hatred. With a side dish of British public school haughtiness and nastiness. In full color smug-o-rama. Myrgybe now says that he didn’t mean that the US influence in the region was gone, and we should have known he was only writing about Yemen. Perhaps he only made a fat finger error. More likely fat head. He is wrong on all accounts.

Saudi Arabia and Iran are engaged in a series of proxy wars across the region, triggered by the unraveling of Iraq in the wake of a disastrous invasion and even more disastrous occupation. Both fund terrorists that they believe to be freedom fighters, with funding allotted to tribal allies. Because of their oil resources, and their ties to oil politicians, the Saudis have been given a free pass by the United States, including spiriting officials back to Saudi Arabia after the 9/11 bombings—by a group of Saudis. Iranian money is behind the Houthis—but the Iranians are helping out in Iraq. Confused yet? Mrgybe has no interest in providing anything beyond talking points that attack Obama, so pay attention.

The US is anything but without influence. Perhaps Obama is more strategic and less bellicose than mrgybe would like. It might be possible to construct an argument in favor of a different approach—but I won't hold my breath waiting for mrgybe to actually write something beyond snark. Perhaps Obama actually understands that it the US is in an awkward position in the middle of a religious/tribal war that has been going on for 700 years, and will be blamed even more if they back one side too strongly. In Iraq, the deal for US air support/bombing was that the Shia militias backed by Iran had to back off. Somehow it doesn’t seem that the US has lost influence in the region.

Turning to Yemen, let’s look at a few facts. Population about 23 million, per capita income a little over $1000 US, and only 65% literacy rate. Poor, with significant corruption largely seen as the cause of continued poverty and stagnated growth, and blamed to some degree on the United States. http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/15/opinion/opinion-yemen-salisbury/

The US backed President has been run out of town, and is now in Saudi Arabia, and the former President Ali Abdullah Saleh is leading the rebels, which have take over much of the country. One might reasonably ask whether the United States is required, under some theory by the archbishop, to intervene in all civil wars in the world, or just those that might affect profits for oil companies? In any event, the Saudi Arabian military has been constructed using revenues from oil sales and purchases from the United States. Does anyone else think that it might make sense for Saudi Arabia, with its proximity to Yemen and antipathy to Iran, along with over 230,000 military personnel, over 1200 tanks, and over 600 aircraft to take the lead in fighting the rebels in Yemen? That’s exactly what has been happening, and the rebels (but not mrgybe) think that the US and Israel are behind it all.

For our next lesson, we can examine the colossal mistakes of the British in the partitioning of India and Pakistan, and in their other post-colonial misadventures. I guess some never tire of pining for their empire.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resent the comment by Mrgybe that those of us wear partisan "blinkers" if we do not object to Obama's mid-East strategy.

The last time I wore my blinkers was when I voted for Cheney...err I mean Bush. The void, filled by ISIS was created when we removed Saddam with no plan for a successor OR an exit strategy. We left Iraq at the request of the new government. Staying would have been an "occupation". Sort of the definition of staying without permission.

The fact that the Saudis are stepping up with arms, supplied by the US, to combat regional uprisings, may not be such a bad thing. Isn't it time the region started dealing with their issues without our intervention?

Meanwhile, back in the US, tens of thousands are murdered, many by unrestricted firearms, every year. I wonder if we would be more interested in those conflicts if our inner cities had vast reserves of oil?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I resent the comment by Mrgybe that those of us wear partisan "blinkers" if we do not object to Obama's mid-East strategy.

Since you apparently support it, rather than being resentful, perhaps you would be kind enough to explain what his strategy is. No-one else seems to understand it. Syria, Libya, Iraq, Lebanon, Yemen all in flames. Relations with Israel down the toilet. Saudi Arabia and Egypt now pulled into a proxy war with Iran, whose destructive influence is spreading throughout the region. What is it you support that so many others are missing?

coboardhead wrote:
We left Iraq at the request of the new government.

No sensible observer buys that tired line any longer. But then, maybe you know more than Petraeus.

coboardhead wrote:
The fact that the Saudis are stepping up with arms, supplied by the US, to combat regional uprisings, may not be such a bad thing. Isn't it time the region started dealing with their issues without our intervention?

A Middle East nuclear arms race. What could possibly go wrong?
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you actually read the full article from which mrgybe cherry-picked his earlier quote from a former Bush official, found here: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/barack-obama-yemen-isil-middle-east-116440.html

you would realize that he has again spun the story. Shocking, eh? To be sure, his allegation "we have left it [Yemen] to Iran." is even greater nonsense.

He seems to think that Obama owes his buddies in the oil industry and the far right a detailed explanation. Public school hubris rears its head again.

The cherry on the sundae is a nuclear deal. There are a number of allies participating in the negotiations--and a handful of whacky Tea Baggers screaming because they aren't. A ten year hiatus--brought about by Obama's diplomatic abilities to get a united approach on sanctions, something Shrub didn't even try to do on Iraq--is a significant diplomatic accomplishment, far greater than anything Shrub achieved. That's why the far right is so desperate to stop it.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. A mid-East strategy where we do not, immediately, jump to military solutions.
2. Maintaining economic sanctions against Iran to bring them to the table.
3. Engaging a regional response to ISIS instead of moving in and trying to "save the day".

You may have seen success with the previous Administration's efforts. I saw failure and overwhelming loss of life and resource. The "fires" have been burning for decades, if not centuries. Blaming this on ANY one Administration is not justifiable.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
You may have seen success with the previous Administration's efforts. I saw failure and overwhelming loss of life and resource. The "fires" have been burning for decades, if not centuries. Blaming this on ANY one Administration is not justifiable.

Careful. You are exhibiting early symptoms of BS (Berkeley Syndrome). No-one is blaming the entire situation on the Obama administration. What I, and many others are doing, is asking the legitimate question....."is the Middle East region (and the world) in a better place now than it was in January 2009". The answer is self evident. A resounding no. The Middle East and Africa are clearly in a much worse place. Russia......worse, China.......worse. The hands off, retreat within our borders approach simply hasn't worked, and is compounded by empty threats on which the Administration has retreated. Foreign leaders now know that the United States is not willing to act decisively. That emboldens them to take actions that would otherwise been unlikely, and now we are faced with increasingly widespread acts of terrorism, egregious territory grabs, and the very real prospect of a nuclear arms race among unstable nations. Of course there is history, but, on this President's watch, we have moved backwards at a fast pace and in a very dangerous direction that directly impacts our national security.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB--those who are paying attention and not besotted by hatred might recognize two more:

4. Avoid unwavering acceptance of corruption in "US friendly" leaders, as it appears to be one of the root causes of unrest.

5. Don't accept the recommendations of the oil industry as altruistic.

Arguments such as the last posting of the archbishop's that we should blame the entire deterioration of peace on Obama are more of the same. We knew 40 years ago when I was still wet behind the ears that the United States could not continue to consume a disproportionate share of the world's resources with a much smaller portion of the population. We have seen that play out inexorably, with the GOP thinking they can stop the process with military misadventures nearly everywhere, and blaming all chaos on Democrats. Works even better when the Democrat in charge is black.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly less snarky note, it is impossible to ignore the role of the dissolution of Syria as a centerpiece for chaos in the Middle East, and the difficulty of finding solutions. There are 3 million refugees in other countries, and more than 6 million have been displaced within Syria. Syria continues our schooling in the region that the solutions to autocratic rule are complicated, and replete with unintended consequences.

The vacuum in Syria, combined with the de-Bathification of the Iraq military have contributed to the chaos and the rise of ISIS. Surrounding countries have already faced such major challenges from dealing with refugees that military options have become more favored.

I don't see any easy solutions to this wicked problem, and I believe the Obama administration has been correct in learning that the Arab spring has failed to deliver more palatable rule in Egypt, much less Libya.

Capitalizing on this chaos is the cornerstone of the Republican strategy. It is far easier to point out the evident chaos than to parse either the underlying causes or propose solutions. Those offered by folks like mrgybe--forcing Maliki out and keeping troops in Iraq--are simply stop gaps that do not deal with the underlying problems.

One may well fault Obama's disinterest in Iraq, and the widely reported US role in engineering Maliki's reelection. Maliki's actions clearly poured gasoline on the sectarian differences within Iraq. But identifying an alternative course that might be more effective is much more difficult. And always missing from the gybster's screeds.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of what mrgybe is saying is true. There are crazy things going on right now, particularly in the Islamic nations of the North Africa and the Middle East. What is very selective though, is how to interpret what's going on, and what course of action to follow.

I wonder how much mrgybe would be willing to support higher income taxes to pay for a myriad of foreign military wars, and the required re-construction and nation building that would be required in their wake. Would his fellow Americans support this, or could they be convinced that we should cut the crap out of what we do domestically, so that we can concert the world in support of our "national security interests" (whatever that really means) abroad? Should we spend vastly on wars, and support for questionable foreign policy, rather than on our nation's domestic future? Tough questions.

This week, a Saudi foreign minister said that maybe Saudi Arabia should develop and/or acquire a military nuclear defense capability to protect their national interests.

You know what's unbelievable about that? There is no one in government or the media, from the right or the left, eagerly stepping up and stating that we should take a "no nuke" stance against Saudi Arabia like we're promoting right now with Iran. Why is that? Is it because Saudi Arabia is our chief "oil" friend and military ally in the Middle East? The Saudis have a formidable military in the region already, but that's OK because they represent freedom in the region?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 151 of 200

Jump to: