myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing in New Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Bit of a PITA but for anyone beyond the novice (non-planing) level well worth the drive ... except, of course, when they blow the forecast and you get skunked. The rule many intermediate to advanced (i.e., planing) sailors drive by is "if my sailing time exceeds my driving time, I'll do it." One or two went by, "An hour of planing is worth the drive." (IMO, the latter were nuts.) Smile

Cochiti and Storrie can be sailed on shortboards some days, but are usually well beyond "gusty". One longboarder decades ago called Cochiti sailing "Dot Sailing". He'd catch a gust, ripslog away until he became a dot from our viewpoint, then wait for someone to drive around and pick him up (an hour each way). When we refused, he'd spend those same two hours trying to sail back in winds varying from 0 to 25 mph (if at all) from random directions every few minutes. I lived not far from Cochiti and some whole seasons never sailed there even with my longboards even though I was retired. I'd say its best audiences would be freestylers who don't care whether they're planing, novices on longboards, shortboarders who can split from work in their preloaded vehicle at the drop of a hat if it starts to blow, and folks who go on weekends as a social event.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Morgan has a webcam!

http://www.aps.com/en/communityandenvironment/environment/morganlakewebcam/Pages/home.aspx

Last year the water was cooler as the power plant shut down a couple of units. Forecasts for wind (NOAA) can be pretty accurate. I rarely get skunked completely when the forecast is good in the spring and fall.

I bring Gorge gear with me and use it often! It is NOT the most picturesque place to hang out and when the wind is out of the south you can get covered in coal dust!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Lake Morgan has a webcam! It is NOT the most picturesque place to hang out ...

The trick is to stay overnight and look up at the sky. Heck; do it on a full plane at midnight.

I heard some people out in a southern NM street, oohing and ahhing at something, and walked outside to see what they were gawking at. It was a typical sky, even a bit hazy, so I asked them what they were pointing at. They yelled,
"THE STARS, MAN! LOOK AT THE STARS! I've never seen a sky like that."

They were visiting my neighbor from out of town, so I asked them where they were from.

"California".

And that was IN town, with street lights, a couple of thousand feet lower than Morgan Lake. The sky at Morgan is probably much like the sky at your 6,000 foot altitude, at which I lived north of Albuquerque. I miss that. Heck, I miss NM's weather all around.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow iso...things that are mundane to you are AWESOME to others. You really got something going on man! Thanks for sharing your specialness with us. No, really, thanks.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he went down to dinner in his Sunday best
Excitable boy, they all said
And he rubbed the pot roast all over his chest
Excitable boy, they all said
Well, he's just an excitable boy
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps:

Written By Warren Zevon & David Lindell c. 1976 Zevon Music/BMI

Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun
With a Thompson gun for hire, fighting to be done
The deal was made in Denmark on a dark and stormy day
So he set out for Biafra to join the bloody fray

Through sixty-six and seven they fought the Congo war
With their fingers on their triggers, knee-deep in gore
For days and nights they battled the Bantu to their knees
They killed to earn their living and to help out the Congolese

Roland the Thompson gunner...

His comrades fought beside him - Van Owen and the rest
But of all the Thompson gunners, Roland was the best
So the CIA decided they wanted Roland dead
That son-of-a-bitch Van Owen blew off Roland's head

Roland the headless Thompson gunner
Norway's bravest son
Time, time, time
For another peaceful war
But time stands still for Roland
'Til he evens up the score
They can still see his headless body stalking through the night
In the muzzle flash of Roland's Thompson gun
In the muzzle flash of Roland's Thompson gun

Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
He found him in Mombassa in a barroom drinking gin
Roland aimed his Thompson gun - he didn't say a word
But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg

Roland the headless Thompson gunner...
The eternal Thompson gunner
Still wandering through the night
Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to hijack a thread, children. The topic is New Mexico and its attributes, which include a fantastic climate, very broad cultural and historical base, a unique and incredible cuisine, tens of thousands of square miles of open space, great scenery, broad recreational opportunities, more personal freedom than in most states, crystal clear skies, advanced technology, lots of wind, endless beach, and even some water. People should understand that it’s a different world from its neighbors to the E, N and W, but still part of the U.S. We had to get out a map to convince a New York AAA travel agent that it is a U.S. state, that no passport or visa is necessary to go to Albuquerque.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The excitable boy said:

Quote:
Way to hijack a thread, children. The topic is New Mexico and its attributes, which include a fantastic climate, very broad cultural and historical base, a unique and incredible cuisine, tens of thousands of square miles of open space, great scenery, broad recreational opportunities, more personal freedom than in most states, crystal clear skies, advanced technology, lots of wind, endless beach, and even some water. People should understand that it’s a different world from its neighbors to the E, N and W, but still part of the U.S. We had to get out a map to convince a New York AAA travel agent that it is a U.S. state, that no passport or visa is necessary to go to Albuquerque.

Do you suppose he yelled at the high school teacher that tried to teach him what irony meant?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Way to hijack a thread, children. The topic is New Mexico..."

If that's true, then why the earlier pointed comments about California, a great state that you often denigrate?
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

If it's all that then why did you leave?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: