myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shark north waddell 7-8'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavezz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Shark north waddell 7-8' Reply with quote

Small as white's go, but the bugger was big enough.

Shark - well .. I finally saw one, up close. Saturday. I know of lot's of close ones by others.. Sure, Seals, whales, dolphins several times, but no shark while on the water.

Totally weird, I saw a dolphin jump out of the water a bit over half , and shortly after (~5 seconds or so), then saw a shark at the surface. It was up at shotguns north waddell 1/3 mile outside, only me and one other kiter Saturday (no windsurfers), other guy totally missed it, as I was pointing with my hand but he didn't look up. I was going in, he out, and I was upwind. Other guy was Cabrinha rider with shaved head, he self landed near us on Sunday when rigged up to 11m.

Total Weird part was having just seen the dolphin a few seconds before, then the shark, it was super clear the difference between the two with the vertical tail fin, and different color. Shark was a small one (as opposed to dumpster car size), 7-8 ft maybe, but definite feeling could tear you up by how solid muscle it looked. Really kind of a head ringer for sure, needless to say, made my jibe and stayed out of the water for the most part moving pretty fast. Still, felt that he could have hit even a kiteboard at speed. Very odd feeling.. shark was also in front of me, so assume was pursuing the dolphin. Was trying to get my mind wrapped around that for a few minutes as it happened super quick, rode around a bit more, then headed down to section front of the parking lot to hang with the rest pack animals till close of session.

1 in million shot... after all the half eaten seals, finally saw a shark. kinda cool.

--
Oh yeah, got the wine ransom for SUP boom, so double score this past weekend. Even Joe got a bottle. Ha.
rwilde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time of day? Eric Sorenson was up there for awhile late Sat. Just curious. BTW shot guns is nw of Waddell.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stopped there on our way up the coast about 12:30. 6-8 kites at the Parking Lot. 1 windsurfer (green sail) and I think 1 kiter at Shotguns.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then juveniles don't know when to migrate, nor when to come back...
Been documented by McCosker and other's, the big boyz and bigger girlz leave California by latest Oct., and come back mid summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: