myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shipping TO Maui from CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getrealsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Shipping TO Maui from CA Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I are in the early stages of planning a 1 year sabbatical that probably ends with spending 6 months on Maui. We don't want to drag our gear around the world but would like to send it to Maui (by slow boat?) to await our arrival there. Between us we have 3 wave boards and 2 freestyle boards and most of our gear is less than 2 years old so doesn't make sense to re-buy in Maui.

Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to ship to Maui?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to take your favorite 2 boards and pay the $150 each, each way for cargo on your flight. You could also pay for the 3rd, or buy a cheap used 3rd board when you get there. You can pack 2 or 3 sails, a boom, and a mast in each bag for the same price. I've done it many times. The LAX crews know nothing about windsurfing, and occasionally you can get by telling them it's a surfboard and beach gear. Don't overload it! I think the limit is 75 lbs. Check on that with the airlines.

There is no cheaper shipping alternative period. I've looked for years.

Believe it or not, I found used gear that someone left on the beach with a note. It sat in front of my house for 3 days before I realized it was left there on purpose. My son uses the gear now. That is how cheap used sails, masts and booms can be over there.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a freight forwarder, they will add your stuff to a container full of all kinds of stuff and ship it by slow boat, certainly cheaper but could take up to a month.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaska has the best gear policy by far i think it should be around 200 to take all your stuff. Read the specifics on windsurfing gear.
victor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dependable Hawaiian Express is the best freight forwarder to use if it's a lot of stuff. They have offices in LA and Bay Area.

Virgin has the best windsurf gear policy. I understand they have no weight or size limits. Not sure they fly to Maui, tho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: