myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newbie in NC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Newbie in NC Reply with quote

Hey all, new to the forums

Live in Raleigh, have family in the OBX, only seems right to get into windsurfing. I have a bit of sailing experience (owned a 16' beachcat), but not a lot of windsurfing experience.

I did an introductory windsurfing class back in 2009 and really enjoyed it, managed to get out a couple times on Jordan Lake with the local club but haven't been on a board since.

Been reading up a lot on the forums about board and sail sizes. I am 5'11'' and 210lbs so I guess a pretty large volume board is what I should get, any recommendations? What about sail size?

Any info would be great, thanks!
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, your timing is perfect. And you can't beat the OBX. Better let the locals answer your questions, but I can say: Get ready for a fun season!
Storz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geohaye wrote:
Hey, your timing is perfect. And you can't beat the OBX. Better let the locals answer your questions, but I can say: Get ready for a fun season!

Thanks, I posted basically the same thing up on the local forum as well and am getting some good feed back!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Storz, Welcome! Swing by the shop if you make a trip out to Hatteras, I'd be happy to show you some stuff. We also have lots of demo gear, so you can try before you buy. Not to mention a lesson program... Let's fast track that progression! Very Happy

General recommendation- get a planing longboard like the RRD Longrider or Tabou WindStyler, you'll also find tons of info about the Kona series. Any of these boards will be a blast to sail on 95% of inland days in 5-20+ mph winds. SUP them under 5 or 10 mph breeze. This will also cover many of your coastal trips, until you get dialed in and start tackling 25+ winds.

At some point, you could add a 100ish liter FSW for Hatteras and be all set.

Sails- 7.5 will probably be your workhorse for local conditions. 5.7 and 5.0 for the coast.

Hope to meet you soon! Feel free to PM or call if you want more specific info. Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storz

OBX is a magic local, it has so much to offer.

There are several good shops in the area offering a wide variety of gear, for sale and rental, before you lay down $$ you might try several different boards and rigs.

There is also one Great Shop .. Wind- NC , located central Avon.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: