myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to deal with spiraling political unrest in the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB's claim about Botswana is counter-intuitive, and can be independently checked. As a general rule, development of mineral resources in Africa has led to great corruption and limited economic opportunity beyond the oligarchy. One of the more powerful accounts I have read is "The Devil That Danced on the Water" by Aminatta Forna. You can get a review easily. The diamond industry was devastating to Sierra Leone.
www.theguardian.com › Culture › Books

Here is an academic view:

Quote:
Diamonds or development ?
A structural assessment of
Botswana’s forty years of success
ELLEN HILLBOM*
Department of Economic History, Lund University, P.O. Box 7083,
S-220 07 Lund, Sweden
Email: ellen.hillbom@ekh.lu.se
ABSTRACT
Due to its four decades of high long-term economic growth and democratic
system, Botswana has been depicted as an exceptional success story in a region full of economic and political failures. In this article, a structural analysis is applied, and it is argued that Botswana’s success should be understood as one of pre-modern growth without development. It is claimed that although the country may be a growth miracle, it has not yet experienced ‘modern economic growth’, characterised by structural change in patterns of production as well as in social and political institutions. Such analysis also offers an explanation for the duality of Botswana’s economy and society, since pre-modern growth, as opposed to development, allows for significant poverty rates and extremely unequal resource and income distribution to prevail in the midst of plenty

Perhaps BB can be even more vile and start telling us that colonialism was good for Africa because it kept the Muslims down.
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaglebuddy,

I was merely respondiing to the overly broad statements in your post. The point of the article quoted by mac was that the international agencies are throwing money at the problems, rather than engaging at a ground level where they could do more for less.

Clearly, the Marshall Plan illustrated that froeign aid can work. And foreign aid can work in Africa, as Botswana and Rawanda illustrate, but requires a different form than the Marshall Plan, because the circumstances are indeed different in Africa.

Finally, there is a Muslim problem in Africa to the extent that there was a Christian problem in Northern Ireland. Many of the problems of modern Africa and the Muslim world are the aftermath of Western Colonialism. Propely done, foreign aid can lead to development that promotes security reduces strife.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&b you have info about countries, which is interesting because your conclusions have little to do with the actual World out there.
The things you say have an internal logic, based on a small amount of data.
I lived in Belize most of my life.
I bet a third of foreign aid gets wasted there. The rest has brought jobs for working people to make their own living. Roads to bring goods to market. We were in the 19th century and the people brought us into the mid 20th century with foreign aid bringing tools, roads, education and the people building something with that.

An hour away by bus is Guatemala. Their dictator was an American ally we needed. He killed the Indians while foreign aid fed and educated them, making mild diplomatic objections to slaughter, but insisting on democracy.
In the end those educated young Indios took over with democracy instead of growing up desperately struggling to eat. Still a strong US ally but one we don't have to be ashamed of.
Our army couldn't win. Foreign aid done wisely can win.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belize = No muslims
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The war in Belize is between us and the Guats who claim Belize and have staged two invasions and repeated border issues.
The civil war internal to Guatemala, nothing to do with Belize, went on for twenty years.

The civil war in Nicaragua is finally over.
The civil war in Columbia is still on.
The war over the Falklands is still simmering with England and Argentina.
The one in Peru is a lot less.
Wait -this is impossible.all war is caused by Muslims.

BB would you like to know why all these wars as well as 911 and terrorism is actually caused by conservatives like yourself? As opposed to mainstream conservatives?
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB--if you crawl back under the rock, I won't have to take a bath every time you post something. The rain will eventually wash the slime trail away.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:

BB would you like to know why all these wars as well as 911 and terrorism is actually caused by conservatives like yourself? As opposed to mainstream conservatives?

KC, I read your other thread that tries to explain your contention Shocked , a thread that I will not add to, I thought you were better than that. For you to believe that the far right is the cause of 911, I would have to put you squarely into the camp of the far left, enjoy your place in this mixed up world, I'll won't be anywhere near.
Even though I don't consider myself a far right, I'll be sure to stay away from your vicinity, so you don't become collateral damage due to my conservative views as the muslim radicals come gunning for me.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
KC ... I thought you were better than that.

That, all by itself, is hilarious.
If he blames 9/11 on the GOP (or ... just as silly ... Bush, or the Jews, or the insurance industry, or the CIA, or little green men, or isobars, or mirrors), that should surprise no one.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:

If he blames 9/11 on the GOP (or ... just as silly ... Bush, or the Jews, or the insurance industry, or the CIA, or little green men, or isobars, or mirrors), that should surprise no one.

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have often wondered what would happen when and if the muslim terrorists sneak bomb us with a nuke and after 9/11 I realized that the liberals would blame the United States Government and peoples and basically say we brought it on ourselves and deserved it. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: