myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Causes of terrorism.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueno--not the dumbest. He told Cheney to shut up when he wanted to start a third war with Iran. Thank god it was Bush in charge and not Cheney.

But then some think I am prejudiced...against prejudging and ignorance, perhaps I am.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
the vast majority of terrorists have agendas that are not related to their religious beliefs.

Odd. I thought the billions of Muslims who wage or profess to support jihad did so based on religion.

coboardhead wrote:
How can we send our children to fight a war without a defined enemy?

Beats sitting on our hands and waiting for them to come over here. Several leading military historians infinitely smarter than you or I have said we essentially defeated Al Qaeda in Iraq ... as in mission accomplished, to some degree ... until we announced or departure, raised the white flag, turned tail, and handed the keys back to the enemy.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, get your facts straight dude! There are aprox. 1.6 billion muslims in the world. It is highly unlikely that "billions of muslims wage or profess to support jihad. Rolling Eyes

Al Queda in Iraq? says who? Dick Cheney? No definative proof exists that Ql Queda was ever in Iraq. How could it be possible to know with any certainty since this is an underground movement. Not like they are wearing uniforms or have "Al Queda" tatooed on their heads.

Imagine! we defeated an enemy that was never there!!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

But then some think I am prejudiced...against prejudging and ignorance, perhaps I am.

Didn't know I singled anyone out, but hey if you feel convicted by that statement...

pueno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Pueno--not the dumbest. He told Cheney to shut up when he wanted to start a third war with Iran. Thank god it was Bush in charge and not Cheney.

And he told Cheney to get stuffed when he wanted a full pardon for Scooter.

But for many, maybe most, significant decision, Cheney was hovering above, in the dark, pulling Bush's the puppet strings.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Isobars, get your facts straight dude! There are aprox. 1.6 billion muslims in the world. It is highly unlikely that "billions of muslims wage or profess to support jihad.

Al Queda in Iraq?

we defeated an enemy that was never there!!

You're right, literally, but yo're quibbling over decimal points rather than the basic issue. Sure, I should have said "hundreds of millions", or at most "billion" without the "s", if one is to believe polls of Muslims in the Middle East. Big whoop.

And I should have added "and clones, spawn, offshoots, wannabes, and national leaders who support any of them and/or wage their own genocidal wars" etc. However, I don't have the time or the ability to preempt every possible quibble.

I wish individuals could legally and practically intervene or at least interfere any time it would prevent a crime they witness (as I've done at personal risk in some cases), and I wish the same for the nation on a global scale. Unfortunately, legality, safety, and practicality limit both. However ... where does a guy or a president draw the line? George Clooney wanted to invade Darfur, Hillary vowed to "go into" (i.e. invade) any nation harboring Al Qaeda (which I must assume includes any of their clones, spawn, offshoots, wannabes, etc.), and Frederick wants the government to deport everyone he disagrees with to another planet.

Doesn't anyone consider the logistics?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, thanks for an honest answer. I think we are all deeply concerned with terrorism and how we can best defeat this threat.
I'm not so sure militarism is our best hope.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: Never mind. I had it right the first time. I DID mean Iraq.
Crap! I don't have time for this stuff, especially what we've already beaten to death.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW The statistics I pointed out are for terrorists within the US. I think it is important to point out that religious terrorism is not as rampant within our borders as some (from both left and right) would have us believe.

I believe we need to avoid falling into the trap of blaming a religion (such as Islam) for the actions of the zealots. If we do, we can be manipulated, by our government, into believing Muslims are our enemy. This may make a good war, but maybe not such a good peace.

That said, burying our heads in the sand about the rather sorted history many religions have is not appropriate either. The bottom line is that folks have used, and probably will continue to use, religion to justify inhumane actions. Let's just be sure we do not do the same.

I think GT has made an excellent point. Sometimes, in this quest to be accommodating, we allow incompatible religious philosophies (radical Islam) within our borders. A double edged sword...to say the least.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are about 40th in the world. Top (in order) are Pakistan, Iraq, Afghan, India, Nigeria, Thailand, Yemen, Somalia, Philippines, Syria.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: