myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
La ventana in march?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: La ventana in march? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone's been to La Ventana in early march? I just got some time off and I'm wondering if it's worth going for a week? I just heard that Vela in los barilles closes on March 1st, I wonder if it's because the wind is gone or people are going elsewhere.

I'm used to going to La ventana in January when the campground us full and restaurants are busy as well. Is it a ghost town in march or are there still windsurfers hanging around for a holiday?

Thanks for any insight. Rich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Ventana in March is a lot like the bay area in Sept.....less certainty of wind but usually some very nice days on the water. Not usually such big swell as Dec thru Feb but still good wind. I've heard the water is unusually warm this spring.

I've spent most of the winter in the campground for the last six years, leaving for home at the end of March. This year I couldn't go because of injuries but I'm leaving home tomorrow to drive to LV to stay the month of March in LV.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March is definitely worth it in LV. I have been here the first two weeks a couple times and it was windy almost every day. Nice hot dry wind too. Every year we pack up Pro-Windsurf La Ventana and shut down after the first week in March because we have other places to go but next year we will stay open all of March. Still definitely lots of windsurfers here and less wait time at the restaurants. Plus you get back to sailing in boardies which we are already doing right now.

So ya, from past experience it is totally worth it. So much so that we are keeping Pro-Windsurf La Ventana open thru the end of March next season.

If you look at the wind history on iWindsurf it is just as windy as Feb which is a rocking month.

Wyatt

going up going down.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.96 KB
 Viewed:  11177 Time(s)

going up going down.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: La ventana in march? Reply with quote

richi wrote:
I was wondering if anyone's been to La Ventana in early march? I just got some time off and I'm wondering if it's worth going for a week? I just heard that Vela in los barilles closes on March 1st, I wonder if it's because the wind is gone or people are going elsewhere.

I'm used to going to La ventana in January when the campground us full and restaurants are busy as well. Is it a ghost town in march or are there still windsurfers hanging around for a holiday?

I stopped going to La Ventana in January because it has become a very noisy and often obnoxious zoo. Even now, this week, I have seen: motorboat para saiiling, jet pack demonstration, on the beach relay race with beer keg and shots, and an amount of party noise that would put Cabo to shame. Not my style: I really, really, miss the out-of-main-track paradise Ventana was 15-20 years ago.

But anyway: second year I am back at end of February Last year was Feb 17 to March 4th and I sailed 4.0 to 5.0 for twelve days. This year I have been here since the 18th and was able to sail one day with a 6.2. The bed spell apparently has been going on for more than 10 days (!) and wind is supposed to be back next Wed.

But people swear by March, and the advantage is that it does get empty. The water is warm and you can always go for long swims!
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: La ventana in march? Reply with quote

[quote="dvCali"]
richi wrote:
I stopped going to La Ventana in January because it has become a very noisy and often obnoxious zoo. Even now, this week, I have seen: motorboat para saiiling, jet pack demonstration, on the beach relay race with beer keg and shots, and an amount of party noise that would put Cabo to shame.

But people swear by March, and the advantage is that it does get empty. The water is warm and you can always go for long swims!

Just got back last night. Didn't see any of the crazy stuff above, and the water was very warm. Personally, it's worth going for the hot dog especial (oops, the pic is sideways):

IMG_1816.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.57 MB
 Viewed:  10917 Time(s)

IMG_1816.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: