myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Just some notes on television
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Just some notes on television Reply with quote

Thinking I’ll turn on the boob tube I hit a channel called FOX NEWS. At least that’s what it says...News. On the Tag line I read “Fair and balanced”. I think “okay, this must be mainstream media”. No? Gotta be, It’s fair and balanced? If it wasn’t, it would be called something like “Fringe News” or “Left of Center News” or Righty Right? I look at the T.V. guide for the listings and I see I am watching “Glenn Beck” at 4pm. Think to myself, this guy surely knows the news with a name like Beck. I tune in, start watching, and boom! I realize something is weird. This guy is prancing around with props, writing on chalk boards, all animated, throwing his arms in the air talking to the T.V, talking to mid air, acting like a crazed maniac! I say to myself, “This is news”? I wonder if this has anything to do with the Earthquake in Haiti that just happened? Someone told me a quarter million people might have died? I quickly switch to every other channel and find the in depth coverage of Port-au-Prince decimated with the horrors of human tragedy. Wondering if possibly I had the wrong channel, I switch back to the channel called Fox News, and that guy is still screaming at me? Huh? For the next week I check back in to see if they are covering the Earthquake and can’t find any coverage? That is weird? Maybe they don’t like Haitians?

When the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami happened with 3 nuclear reactors melting down, untold dead, The entire Pacific Ocean on the move, I quickly turn on the T.V. to see what the hell happened. My Channel is stuck at FOX News because the night before I was engrossed in this guy named Bill O’Reilly, who is really awesome because he screams at me through the T.V. as well! But he is better. He screams at his guests! That is a great show. Check it out. Anyway, O’Reilly has just ended. I really need the breaking news news of the Tsunami and I figure a guy named Hannity can handle it. He is up next.

Hannity has the answers about the Tsunami I am sure of it. It’s 8pm, prime time news. By this time I start to question if I have made the right decision? So far this channel has not given me the information I need about the world around me? 8pm. rolls around, It’s the top of the hour, news cycle has changed. The Pacific has generated a wave so powerful it has changed the Earths axis and nuclear plants are melting. Give me the big story of the day. This is it! Hannity my man! Boom! “Good evening America. Tonight, Obama and his connection to the Muslim Brotherhood”. We have all the details with our guests Ann Coulter, Bill Kristol, Mark Steyn, Chuck Norris, and Ted Nuggent and, as token, Juan Williams”. Huh?

Quickly, I turn to EVERY other channel and thankfully they have non stop reporting on the nuclear meltdowns, the decimation of the worlds 3rd largest economy and the untold human tragedy that has unfolded. For weeks on end I check back every night to see if Hannity can give me the news on this nuclear stuff? That is weird? Maybe they don’t like reporting on nuclear meltdowns?

Willing to give it one more chance years later. I watch a news show called the “The Five at Five”. Hoping to hear about the Massive oil spill that has turned the entire gulf of Mexico into black crud.

Now the “Five at Five” sounded a little strange to me because if it was “fair and balanced”, my math says it should be called “Six on Six”, or “Four on Four”. I am not good at math but “fair and balanced” would probably use even numbers, no? I tune in knowing I’m probably fu*ked. It’s a big helpless fat guy (sorry Bob), trying to fend off four arrogant conservative... Oh my!... Look at those breasts! Check out those legs!

After drooling over the woman in the blue dress, my mind starts to wander. “Now why the hell wouldn’t they not want to report on this oil spill”? For week after week I check back to see if they are covering it. That is weird? Maybe they don’t like reporting on oil spills?

Fox is perfect. Leave it alone.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezing here so I can waste two minutes. There is a reason that the "Five at Five" didn't spend a great deal of time covering the BP oil spill. That spill occurred April 2010. The "Five at Five" commenced July 2011. But thank you for your fair and balanced commentary. Hope your fabrications made you feel better.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. G You dont have to give excuses why you have come back..it's fine, and you're always welcome. Looks like this dude struck a nerve.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about the specifics that was funny! Watching the news is depressing sensationalized biased nonsense 90% of the time. If I want to be depressed I'll watch Dr. Phil, that dude makes me suicidal!

So when's this lady on Fox anyway? I might want to check that out....ah, strictly for information of course.

J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satire (noun)

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

You are fact checking satire my friend. Did I ever drool over the woman in the blue dress? Yee...no. Did O'Reilly ever scream at anyone? Do Hannity and O'Reilly ignore news? Did Fox not want to talk about oil spills? "drill baby drill"? Or nuclear meltdowns?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that's satire? I've watched Beck and it seemed like a circus side show to me.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Looks like this dude struck a nerve.
Nah! Just momentarily bored. Remedied that by going windsurfing.........22 degrees.......no lie (or even satire).
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, not one show or host he mentions is an actual news show or anchor. "Fox News" is an organization, not a 24/7 news show or channel. IMO, anyone not personally familiar with Fox News is uninformed on some or many issues*. It covers far too many news stories days or even months before the lefty networks do to ignore it just because BSNBC falsely demonizes it, and demonizing anything without facts simply reveals ignorance.

* Don't start. I'm not saying there aren't other ways to keep up, but among media sources, Fox scoops the other media on many important issues.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever hear a Fox News viewer talk, and think, I'm so impressed by how thoughtful and well informed this person is?

No? Neither have I. They usually sound just like our character here from the Great Northwest. Always hating something "liberal" going on.

Fair and balanced? They must be kidding, right?
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
In addition, not one show or host he mentions is an actual news show or anchor. "Fox News" is an organization, not a 24/7 news show or channel. IMO, anyone not personally familiar with Fox News is uninformed on some or many issues*. It covers far too many news stories days or even months before the lefty networks do to ignore it just because BSNBC falsely demonizes it, and demonizing anything without facts simply reveals ignorance.

* Don't start. I'm not saying there aren't other ways to keep up, but among media sources, Fox scoops the other media on many important issues.

Sometimes all we can do is laugh.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: