myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Skinny 490s - Bang for the buck?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Skinny 490s - Bang for the buck? Reply with quote

Alright, after breaking two SDM 490s while pumping to plane on a formula board, I've decided I need a DURABLE 490 for my 8.0 Aerotech FreeSpeed and 9.5 Ezzy Cheetah.

My choices seem to be:

New ezzy 490 rdm from Isthmus or Winddance for ~$600
Lightly used Gulftech 490 rdm from classifieds for ~$300

Or maybe I have some other choices, too? I'm not concerned about ultimate performance- just want it to rig reasonably well in both sails and have a long life of worry-free durability.

keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test on the sails first. My skinny 490 didn't work they were floppy.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a Hot Sails 92% hot rod I think it could work.
They are flex top but less flexy in the middle than an Ezzy from my understanding. No longer in production they were made by Kilwell in New Zealand of all places and are very strong.
Since Hot Sails came out with a new very lightweight mast last year there may be some people looking to offload their old masts.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I decided to find a 490 Ezzy, it didn't take me super long to find one. They are not extra popular so they tend to stay for sale a bit longer. It is surprising how much better it is than the North mast it is replacing in my 7.5 Freeride. Even if the North was supposed to be ok, non-ultimate in that case was just average. It's not always the case: the 430 Ezzy in the 6.0 is only marginally better than the Sailworks it's replacing.

I also personally find that larger sails are more critical too in their setup. When something is wrong, it takes more effort to compensate. I would therefore advise you to be patient and wait for an Ezzy one, unless someone can advise you with first-hand experience about other masts on your specific sail.
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay James u can try my ezzy I like them a lot. Only broke 1 in 8 year's
And ezzy replaced it for free (1 year warranty) and u can replace top or bottom with out buying a hole mast. I use a 430 bottom and a 490 top to make a 460 work's great.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new Gulftech RDM490 in very late 2006 to match with a new 8.3 Windwing Hammer. I have to say that I was using the Windwing camberless, less two cams, because I was trying to limit losses launching in the surf. Overall, it's been a great combo. Great low end, and still very controlled in the upper range. In my view, the mast is a winner. I really like what I see rigging up, and the sail responds very well over a broad range.

In my view, if the Gulftech is in good condition, it's a great choice. However, every sail is different. Gulftech's are designed for sails using a 64/76 bend curve, so I would let that be your guide.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Check out Windances used gear section:
http://www.windance.com/490-cm-Ezzy-Hookipa-2013-UGUM0200/

They have a new Ezzy 490 with a surface blem for $489. Give them a call and they'll tell you what/where the blem is. I bought a 430 with a very minor surface blem from them and it's completely sound - the blems are cosmetic. Worth looking into.

Rob
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ezzy 490 works very well on my 8.5 Cheetah, I think you'll be happy with it on your 9.5. It's my understanding Ezzy in conjunction with Nolimitz put extra R&D into this mast and it shows. The Cheetah is after all a freeride sail, not a race sail. IMO they achieved a great blend of performance, durability and value.
I did try 460 bottom & 490 top, didn't care for it, the sail never seemed quite right to me. Straight 490 much better.
Shop around, you may be able to score for $500.

Last edited by outhaul on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with RDM 490s has been less than good, but the sails had cams and I wont do cams again.. saw the cam less Cheetah.

You broke 2 SDM masts, but how old/worthy were they ?

Can only speak on the Ezzy, it will work great with RDM/SDM , David would tell you that its the mast bend curve that is important, not RDM/SDM.

Of course the Cheetah sail is designed around a Ezzy curve, so no issues there. The FAST by NoLimitz may work, email Ryan at NL.

I would not suggest the HotRod mentioned, it is softer on the top, would work, but if your getting a mast, why not get the right curve.

my very best suggestion is

David@Ezzy.com

he will write back quickly and very honest IMO of compatibility

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
If you can find a Hot Sails 92% hot rod I think it could work.
They are flex top but less flexy in the middle than an Ezzy from my understanding. No longer in production they were made by Kilwell in New Zealand of all places and are very strong.
Since Hot Sails came out with a new very lightweight mast last year there may be some people looking to offload their old masts.

I have both Ezzy and Hot, the HotRod you mention and the other options IMO are all too soft top, oh it will sail, but you would lose performance.

Kidwell still made the TEAM masts, they are special order, small quanity.

The Ultra is the light weight version, had one in my hands and very light, jewel like in quality, too pricy for me.

FWIW I mistakenly used a HotRod/92% Kidwell in a 6.0 Ezzy Panther, nothing felt odd, noticed only when I was putting it away in the case after sailing...... go figure

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: