myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP fin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for a Kona US Box fin that length, I haven’t found one.

I doubt that going from a 32 to 38 will make much difference, could be negative.
The effect on a oversized fin in your box, may never materialize, your speed is limited by the hull itself, however over a period certainly some vibrations will occur and potentially damage the USBox. This BIC is well made, but only to its limits.
USBox are normally on smaller boards, you have found that fins like the Black Project are not made in it, even in smaller sizes.

You could have a custom similar fin made , company like TFC, Tarifa Fins Co.

Weed fins are useful for weeds, I doubt many would install one if not needed,they dont turn for crap,in comparison, but do offer a large area,and with less straight down depth.

I think that once again the continued problems that plague you dont others

Happy to help to the extend I’m able.

I really think using the 3 fins is the way to go, irrespective what BIC says they are meant for surfing the SUP, not windsurfing

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I looked for a Kona US Box fin that length, I haven’t found one.

I doubt that going from a 32 to 38 will make much difference, could be negative.
The effect on a oversized fin in your box, may never materialize, your speed is limited by the hull itself, however over a period certainly some vibrations will occur and potentially damage the USBox. This BIC is well made, but only to its limits.
USBox are normally on smaller boards, you have found that fins like the Black Project are not made in it, even in smaller sizes.

You could have a custom similar fin made , company like TFC, Tarifa Fins Co.

Weed fins are useful for weeds, I doubt many would install one if not needed,they dont turn for crap,in comparison, but do offer a large area,and with less straight down depth.

I think that once again the continued problems that plague you dont others

Happy to help to the extend I’m able.

I really think using the 3 fins is the way to go, irrespective what BIC says they are meant for surfing the SUP, not windsurfing

Thanks for your comments.
Yes, in fact I have already installed 2 side thrusters since last year in addition to the weed fin. All in all, sailing on that board has significantly improved, because before, with only the short Dolphin fin ,the board didn’t have enough bite in the water and tended to swirl around a bit, which doesn’t happen any longer now.

As to being”plagued” by too many problems that others don’t experience, perhaps the word”plagued” is excessive.
I must say that my bar is very low and as long as I am able to cruise around in light winds, even without planing, I am perfectly happy, certainly not “plagued” in any significant way. .
Having said this, I am always open to new ways to to improve the performance of the board ( larger sail, longer fin, etc) within the constraints of the board’s design and those of my own skill level, which could certainly be better..This is why I keep asking.

For this, however, I need more practice than the weather conditions at this latitude and perhaps my age as well as o ther factors, allow: unfortunately, summers kick in late and are over too early, which means ( for me) from late June to mid-September (at latest) . Around two months, rain permitting. Last year it rained almost for the whole month of July and I couldn’t go out more than 7-8 times!

I know, some people around here manage to extend the season. Perhaps it is because they were born here and are more used to cold than I am..
As far as I am concerned, with my...Mediterranean genes, when the water here reaches 18°-20° and a cloud hides the sun sufficiently to give me..the chills, (even ,sometimes in July, because of a sudden inflow of arctic air) , then for me windsurfing is over…No more fun!

Ittiandro
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plagued .
These are the problems/issues / I wonder about that seem to keep you up at night...those that I recall.
Waist harness fitness.
BIC SUP fins, numerous times,on several different forums. ( still unresolved apparently)
Luff sleeve way larger than mast.
Total wind force per lb/square foot , wind pressure on a sail.
Folding a sail for shipping, requires batten removal, to save money in shipping
SELF Modification of battens on a sail.
3/4 length battens VS full on a sail.

Post link for 38cm KONA fin that comes in USBox , so I can get on with sleepling at night .

Keep asking about new developments in fins, to enhance your BIC and sailing.
Surly it will be posted as well. Have you considered a mini foil ?

ittiandro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Plagued .
These are the problems/issues / I wonder about that seem to keep you up at night...those that I recall.
Waist harness fitness.
BIC SUP fins, numerous times,on several different forums. ( still unresolved apparently)
Luff sleeve way larger than mast.
Total wind force per lb/square foot , wind pressure on a sail.
Folding a sail for shipping, requires batten removal, to save money in shipping
SELF Modification of battens on a sail.
3/4 length battens VS full on a sail.

Post link for 38cm KONA fin that comes in USBox , so I can get on with sleepling at night .

Keep asking about new developments in fins, to enhance your BIC and sailing.
Surly it will be posted as well. Have you considered a mini foil ?

Thanks for your input

Minifoils, yes this is an option I have been considering as of late .I don't know if you are referring to the FCS thrusters with mini foil wings or similar.
Are they effective? I am bit skeptical, I must admit.

ON the other end, I wouldn't go into regular, long-shafted foils because of the very shallow waters here and the risk of ripping off the US. fin box, in addition to the cost.

By the way, I never understood why the regular long-shafted foils must be so long that they lift the board 60-70 cm above the water. Is it necessary? Wouldn't a shorter foil do just as well even if it were to lift the board just above the surface of the water , like when you are planing? Perhaps it would help in wave sailing but not that much in flat water… …Or maybe there are hydrodynamic considerations which escape me?

Concerning the issues which"plague" (!?) me, I am a bit amused because the very fact that you took the trouble of digging them up and making a list, indicates that you seem to be irked and plagued(?) yourself. Why, it escapes me, unless you operate on the assumption that there are issues and questions that are justified and other that are not..

Firstly,I don’t see anything wrong or futile in asking about the total wind force per lb/square foot , wind pressure on a sail, or about self-modifying the battens of a sail or ¾ length battens vs full length, etc.

Secondly, a Forum is ( or should be ) a place where members ask questions, or even dissent. Nobody should argue or pass judgment on another member’s questions or imply that they are trivial or inappropriate….
Also I can’t see why you bring up that I asked the same question in other Forums. Why not?

Thirdly, the list of questions previously asked by me , cover an arc of time of a few years…Some of them, probably most, are now obsolete, either because I progressed or because others helped me to understand …

Lastly, your comment :
quote Post link for 38cm KONA fin that comes in USBox , so I can get on with sleepling at night unquote
is cryptic..
I never thought that a member’s questions should plague(?) you or anybody else to the point of preventing him from sleeping at night(?!)

Ittiandro
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the 38cm USBox link, kindly repost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: