myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Welcome, Slow Typers of America
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Welcome, Slow Typers of America Reply with quote

When I look at the number, length, and level of vituperation of messages by some who post here, I am glad I am a terrible typist. It gives me more time to reflect on what I am saying, and how it will be received by others. It also limits my penchant for prolixity.

Now, if I could just keep my yap shut more in face to face conversation. (I'm workin' on it,)
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome, Slow Typers of America Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
When I look at the number, length, and level of vituperation of messages...

Does vile and vitriolic vituperatous verbosity violently vex you? Wink

real-human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome, Slow Typers of America Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
When I look at the number, length, and level of vituperation of messages by some who post here, I am glad I am a terrible typist. It gives me more time to reflect on what I am saying, and how it will be received by others. It also limits my penchant for prolixity.

Now, if I could just keep my yap shut more in face to face conversation. (I'm workin' on it,)
the right wing would suggest all you need to do is put an aspirin between your lips will keep them closed.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the other long-winded posters' motivation, but when I don't "prolix", people demand further explanation and/or deliberately or mistakenly misinterpret. Condensation also takes time. As for how it's received by others ... I try to convey facts, opinions, and ideas, not to impress or appease. What folks do with them is their choice and thus beyond my control anyway.

In this case, your deliberate diversion from and indirect lash back at nine legitimate objections to universal socialized high-quality medicine was pretty obvious. We get it; you choose not to respond. That's 100% your choice, perfectly fine, and even preferable. But firing a shotgun into the air in response, a la the Joe Biden School of Home Defense, didn't fool anyone.

As for the vituperation, I commend you on your fairly successful restraint. It's rare from your side of the fence.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an O'Reilly word? I like big words.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
It's rare from your side of the fence.

http://www.theemotionmachine.com/the-us-vs-them-mentality-how-group-thinking-can-irrationally-divide-us

Group thinking causes us to act irrationally and uncooperative, because we are more concerned about conforming with our group instead of thinking intelligently for ourselves, or recognizing other people’s interests and values outside of our own social circle.

Instead of seeing people in groups, a better perspective is to see everyone as an individual worthy of respect, equality, and kindness, regardless of what groups they may be categorized in.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We get it; ...."

We? You must be joking, right, because there's only you. Even those that consider themselves "right leaning" in politics keep their distance.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Iso refer to "us" and "we" in his comments. I wondered who he was referring to. I think I may have even asked him once. I don't recall receiving a response. Perhaps he has "kill filed" me and cannot read my posts and therefore cannot answer. As the English would say: "I am absolutely gutted."

Last edited by uwindsurf on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt it's the royal we.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E09LU6XVyxs

keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic appeal of repeating Drudge or Talk Radio is that you know things that others do not, left or right.
When everyone disses you for being so foolish you invent a silent majority who agree with every word and can't wait for your next revelation.
Nixon anyone?
There is a part of your mind that knows you have become irrelevant by your own hand so you block that out and pretend you can't hear.
And include an insult with every post in retaliation for their lack of interest.
Children do this until they get more mature.

When folks point out how flawed your sources are, you get angry.
Not at the sources, but at those who are reminding you of something you wish wasn't true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: