myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Naish harnesses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Naish harnesses Reply with quote

I've been looking to buy a Naish harness online. Pretty much all of them look like harnesses for kitesurfing. Do they make them universal now? Is the hook the only thing that's different?
thanks
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dedicated KITE ones will have a line, often a tube across the back, for whatever kiters do with it.

I have used Naish harness, both varieties for about 10years, the only thing that the kites 'may' have is a hook that is more shallow. Cant say I have had any issues from memory. forth one from memory

The powerbelt , an inner Velcro belt is sometime advantageous for tightness. The overall quality is like most I have seen.

Of note the bar attaches with a push clip, like or the same as ProLimit. Unlike some which slide a buckle into a d ring thing.

I think that the bar itself is different in attachment to the straps, not sure, if you wanted a roller instead of hook, the bar may not fit, unsure on that

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kite harnesses are built stronger and the hook is shaped differently.
A kite hook is bulbous at the end so the lines will not just slide right out, if you use a kite hook for windsurfing there is the potential for trouble.
If you crash and the harness lines get spun around the hook it will be much more difficult to get it unhooked, you would have to unwind it. I wouldn't want to be trapped under the sail like that.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harness I like best for WSing is a kite harness. DaKine makes it in both WS and kite models, but I chose the kite version (the Fusion) to use the cable across the back to hold down my rib armor and for towing others. I merely swapped the kite spreader bar for a WS spreader bar and ...violins ... it's a WSing harness. I presume that's true of many brands and models (my Mystic WS harness is also a kite harness, or so the label says), so fit and function will usually trump the label.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right side , red one is a Kite harness, designated by the cord across the back and a LOOP, left is a windsurf one& both are Naish.

The difference on the two: the angle of the kite hook is its tilted up, towards your nose, more than the Windsurf one. It is enough to be visible , but hardly much more. The hooks themselves appear identical, not easy to photograph.

The kite one I used for over 2 years, and the issue it may have had was the harness line 'could' have popped out, getting bounced around easier than others, could....

The Windsport test editor used the same harness.... long time, may be my all time favorite

wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: HARNESS TYPE Reply with quote

Very Happy MY WIFE DOES THE DARK SIDE AND WINDSURFS WITH THE SAME HOOK Exclamation 2.7,3.0,3.4,4.0 HER WINDSURF QUIVER,4,5,6,8 KITES Idea SHE HAS NO PROBLEMS WITH EITHER.WOMENS DAKINE STARLIT Laughing
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all kite hooks are the same but this is a good example of the difference, you can see how the harness lines could get caught if they twist around.

underwave_atlantis_seat_kite_harness_125.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.14 KB
 Viewed:  11685 Time(s)

underwave_atlantis_seat_kite_harness_125.jpg

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to know

the topic Naish are very similar, if not the same, except as noted

outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, for example the Dakine hammer head spreader bar hook is very deep and narrow and difficult to unhook from.
The spreader bar on my Mystic kite harness is almost too open and prone to accidental unhooking. In general kite harnesses are great for windsurfing, supportive and well made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: