myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
War!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentagon official responsible for Iraq policy during the period to the withdrawal, says that the policy decision to leave no troops in Iraq was not the fault of the Administration he worked for, or the policy makers in that Administration (a.k.a him). Pretty persuasive stuff. More than enough for those clinging to straws to pat themselves on the back and call names. Small snag.......even the President's most avid supporters can see through that story line.

President Obama surprised a few people during a news conference Thursday by claiming that the 2011 decision to withdraw all U.S. forces from Iraq, a politically popular move on the eve of an election year, was made entirely by his Iraqi counterpart. The implication ran counter to a number of claims that Obama has made in the past, most notably during a tight campaign season two years ago, when he suggested that it was his decision to leave Iraq and end an unpopular war.

"With regards to Iraq, you and I agreed, I believe, that there should be a status of forces agreement," Romney told Obama as the two convened on the Lynn University campus in Boca Raton, Fla., that October evening. "That’s not true," Obama interjected. “Oh, you didn't want a status of forces agreement?” Romney asked as an argument ensued. “No,” Obama said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/06/19/president-obama-took-credit-in-2012-for-withdrawing-all-troops-from-iraq-today-he-said-something-different/
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm a bit older than you, but not by much. I'm already on Medicare.

As far as untangling ourselves from wars and major conflicts in the world, most all the words offered are just meaningless BS. I never expect the raw truth, and that's irrespective of whether it's Democrats and Republicans saying it. Even after allied forces decidedly won WW2, the nasty seeds of the Cold War were already sprouting and growing.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
"That’s not true," Obama interjected. “Oh, you didn't want a status of forces agreement?” Romney asked as an argument ensued. “No,” Obama said.

Yup. Saw the clip, saw his lips move. Either Obama thinks we're all too stupid to remember thing like that, or both he and his staff are too stupid to realize that the president is almost always on tape. No WONDER he wants and tries his damnedest to suppress and demonize Fox News; without it he'd have free reign to butt-@>#! the whole country with no scrutiny.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given a very specific rationale as to why Maliki could not deliver the immunity part of the deal, from someone who actually knows, mrgybe responds with a general quote from Obama. Would this be yet another example of how the gybster has spun a story to fit his pre-conceived notions? Perhaps.

Of course, Exxon is used to throwing its weight around, and assumes that everyone can be bought. Seen it up close.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Oh, you didn't want a status of forces agreement?” Romney asked as an argument ensued. “No,” Obama said."
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR. ROMNEY: Excuse me. It's a geopolitical foe. And I said in the same — in the same paragraph, I said, and Iran is the greatest national security threat we face. Russia does continue to battle us in the U.N. time and time again. I have clear eyes on this. I'm not going to wear rose-colored glasses when it comes to Russia or Mr. Putin, and I'm certainly not going to say to him, I'll give you more flexibility after the election. After the election he'll get more backbone.

Number two, with regards to Iraq, you and I agreed, I believe, that there should have been a status of forces agreement. Did you —

PRESIDENT OBAMA: That's not true.

MR. ROMNEY: Oh, you didn't — you didn't want a status of forces agreement?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: No, but what I — what I would not have done is left 10,000 troops in Iraq that would tie us down. That certainly would not help us in the Middle East.

MR. ROMNEY: I'm sorry, you actually — there was a —

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Here — here is — here is —

MR. ROMNEY: There was an effort on the part of the president to have a status of forces agreement. And I concurred in that and said we should have some number of troops that stayed on. That was something I concurred with.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Governor —

MR. ROMNEY: That was your posture. That was my posture as well.

I thought it should have been 5,000 troops.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Governor —

MR. ROMNEY: I thought it should have been more troops. But you — (inaudible).

PRESIDENT OBAMA: This is just a few weeks ago.

MR. ROMNEY: The answer was, we got no troop (through ?) whatsoever.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: This is just a few weeks ago that you indicated that we should still have troops in Iraq.

MR. ROMNEY: No, I didn't. I'm sorry, that's —

PRESIDENT OBAMA: You made a major speech.

MR. ROMNEY: I indicated — I indicated that you failed to put in place a status of forces agreement at the end of the conflict that —
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When assigning an opinion, Gybe likes to take a few words out of context.
Even if the poster flat states his opinion, Gybe will still try to insist they think something else.
I wonder why he bothers.Does it fool anyone here who can read?
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
I wonder why he bothers.

He wants to be a baiter, too, just like the Master Baiter, Mikey.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
— what I would not have done is left 10,000 troops in Iraq that would tie us down. That certainly would not help us in the Middle East.

We have more than a thousand top flight troops back in there now, and airstrikes.......with the strong likelihood of a significant and extended escalation. We've lost all the gains it took 10 years to win and the security of the region, and world, has been greatly diminished. 10,000 troops "certainly" would not help us he said. Perhaps that's why the Pentagon asked for a residual force of 20,000. He ignored their advice so as to meet a campaign promise.

Oh, and since you were kind enough to remind us of the President's dismissal of the threat from Russia.........from CNN today.

Ukraine: 'This is a full-scale invasion' - U.S.: Russians 'directly' involved
http://www.cnn.com/
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:
— what I would not have done is left 10,000 troops in Iraq that would tie us down. That certainly would not help us in the Middle East.

We have more than a thousand top flight troops back in there now, and airstrikes.......with the strong likelihood of a significant and extended escalation. We've lost all the gains it took 10 years to win and the security of the region, and world, has been greatly diminished. 10,000 troops "certainly" would not help us he said. Perhaps that's why the Pentagon asked for a residual force of 20,000. He ignored their advice so as to meet a campaign promise.

Oh, and since you were kind enough to remind us of the President's dismissal of the threat from Russia.........from CNN today.

Ukraine: 'This is a full-scale invasion' - U.S.: Russians 'directly' involved
http://www.cnn.com/

Mr. Bush described their meeting as straightforward and effective.

He said it was time to move beyond Cold War attitudes, away from mutually assured destruction towards mutually earned respect.

"I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straight forward and trustworthy and we had a very good dialogue.

"I was able to get a sense of his soul.

"He's a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country and I appreciate very much the frank dialogue and that's the beginning of a very constructive relationship," Mr. Bush said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 23 of 36

Jump to: