myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet RRD Fanatic.. thin wide boards... any first hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Exocet RRD Fanatic.. thin wide boards... any first hand Reply with quote

The contenders are RRD FireMove Exocet X Cross and Fanatic Gecko
Sail range 8.5..down to 6.5... flatish water, small chop.
sizes 122L 115/130L 120L

I rode the X-Cross 115L and it was amazing, supporting a 7.5 with ease.
Almost a automatic board, so easy to ride.

Any thoughts or experience with the RRD or Fanatic ?

jingebritsen , How would you compare the X Cross to the S Cross ? Speed planing general handling character ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed the Fanatic Gecko 105 (69 cm wide) a couple of weeks ago in Tobago with 6.2-7.3 m sails. I liked it a lot. The Gecko became my go-to board there after the first ride. It rode smoother in the mild chop than the Hawk 100 or 111 - the width allowed it to stay on top easily, rather than smacking through. Quite fast, I usually got slightly better top speeds than on the Hawk (although the less abused fin certainly helped). It took me a bit to figure out how to jibe the Gecko well, but then it jibed great. I posted a video about the trip on vimeo that includes both Hawk and Gecko rides.

In the back, the Gecko lets you mount two straps outside or in one the center; in the front, the straps are too far from the center to let your toes cross the middle line. Not an issue for freeriding, but it means you need another board if you want to learn new school freestyle (which is why I used the Hawk on some days).

I sailed the RRD FireMove 110 in 2011 in Hatteras, and loved it, too. I later sailed both the FireMove and the FireStorm in Corpus, and liked the FireStorm even better. The FireStorm seemed a bit better suited for going fast, with thicker rails that gave a bit more grip. That's 3 years ago, so things may have changed. I never sailed the X Cross.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRD has made their freestyle wave boards a bit narrower and longer for this year. Perhaps they decided they went too short and wide at first. or, maybe they want to sell more new boards! (Imagine that)
AG80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden the RRD Firemove 110, Fanatic Gecko 105 & 120, and the Exocet Xcross 115. They all are fun to ride, but I ended up buying the Xcross 115. I primarily sail the board on in-land lakes with 6.0-7.5 sails and it is excellent in those conditions. A very comfortable ride and very easy to turn. It will plane in 12-13 kn winds with a 7.5m sail.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1958........ What is your weight ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
AG80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

180 lbs.
Jorionw96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

115 x cross aka the potato chip is awesome. Haven't tried others.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRD was the original, and as such have had a few extra years to dial in the shapes. We have a 2013 110 demo if you want to try in Hatteras. No plans to have 2014 demos but you could probably twist my arm...

http://wind-nc.com
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new 2014 Starboard Atom IQ. Its been in the water about 5 times including today at lake Lopez. Its the 110 and its 74 cm wide. Today was 15mph with a few gusts a bit more. I bought this board for very lite winds in the spring and fall at the lake. Here is my two cents. The biggest sail I own is a 6.5 Ezzy Cheetah. I'm amazed how easy the board jumps on a plane. Its like I'm using a meter bigger sail. It goes to wind with ease.
Don't think the top end speed is all that fast but I haven't seen anyone on the water to race with. Its super smooth in the flat water but I think it would get big quick. The best thing is how the board turns. I don't know how they can make such a wide board cut a smooth carve the way this board does. Its so easy to keep your speed out of a turn and it very forgiving. I have never been a fan of the short wide boards but these new ones are a must have if you live in a lite and gusty windsurfing area. One more plus: once going the board fly's through any holes in the wind. This board will certainly extend my time on the water. Its kind of fun to be the first guy out make the first tracks in the water..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: