myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
In search of bigger shortboard for lighter Gorge conditions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Kiters go strapless all the time. You only need to keep one foot out of the strap. You will have at least one good tack.

You guys know what I think of sailing with only a front foot in its strap. Very Happy

I suspect I will run a big, wide open rear strap, at least when I and my PT think it's safe. I've never had back straps trap my feet.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Good news that you're gettin' better. Go talk to Brian at Open Ocean and have him shape you board that your knees can handle. He went back to slot bottom on alot of his boards because he was getting so much input from riders wanting an easier, smoother ride.
Good Luck!

Smooth rides I got; the issues are the cubic feet and the hazards of crashing or jumping.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's good I'm surfing and have my rear foot out.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
I use a 130 liter JP Funride. It is like butter.

Since you wont be using footstraps I would definitely recommend wearing a "bare foot" running shoe. ... I use them even with footstraps just cause I love the traction and force I can put on the board.

Stay with the rehab my friend.

Funride duly noted. Its name alone suggests what I'm after.

And I probably will wear some footwear. My only objection to it is getting hung up in the straps, and that won't be an issue any time soon.

My PT is very happy with my rehab diligence. He wishes more of his patients would work so hard at it. Many won't do it except under his nose in the clinic, and the medical price they pay can be huge.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the WS world needs to take a note from the ski world. Quick release bindings. Try the footwear, its like glue.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just a little more on the FS thought:

-the board decks are well rounded and shaped for foot stability and pressure being exerted out of the straps as well as in.

-Once you do return to the straps, there is simply no other board style that will slash a turn like this under 6.0-7.0 sails.

-Don't read the reviews...they're reviewed for freestylers.

It would be great if you could borrow someone's (after putting on an appropriate fin). I think you'd conclude that a 110 FS floats and planes like a 150 liter board, but turns like a wavy 90. In moderate wind. Not for sailing lit, but that's the assignment here.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older (maybe 9 years) blue RRD Twin Tip, which I
believe is 115 ltrs. I'm not a freestyle kind of guy, and I swapped
out the freestyle fin for a large sweeper. That board is great under a
6.5 Sailworks Retro, turny, and very planey. I'm sure it would work
great under a 7.5 as well, but these days I swap down from a 9.5 to a
6.5, and I doubt it would carry a 9.5 (but probably an 8.0). You and I
are roughly the same weight (but I'm taller and better looking ;*) )
It has a fairly domed deck which could be useful if you were riding
without straps, and the older Twin Tips are't all that wide.
Works quite well especially for early planing in Utah. I've never riden
it in the Gorge (where I use an old RRD 76 Freeride as my big board
to carry a 6.7 Northwave).

You might try and get a ride on a Twin Tip and see what you think.

-Craig
fxop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I'm with NW30 on this one.

The new ACL itself is solidly rooted by now, right? The issue is the supporting muscles -- they're either ready for action or they aren't.

Planing strapless in up to 3 ft chop on a tender knee? Sounds miserable to me.

My ACL rehab is long ago but you should see me picking my way through the offshore swells: no air, avoiding bumps, pinching to slow down.

Just do the reverse of what you used to do!

You can get substantial air off a thigh-high bump. How do you control yourself with no straps?

Aren't tumbling crashes in the Gorge totally optional? Can't you just stay between the furrows and enjoy being out there again?

In my rehab the last link to playing sports again was getting out of the gym and onto a road bike, easy route, through flat neighborhoods, safe. My knee started to feel like a real knee again and most of the muscle mass came back. Rehab has its own hazards, like patellar tendinitis and other -itis's and Iso given your ability to work it wouldn't be a surprise if you overdid it.

In my case the repaired knee is much more prone to inflammation, and I wouldn't want to challenge it with something awkward like trying to sail strapless in more than 10 kts.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you guys are coming up with more ideas and variations than I expected. Thanks! I’ll try to keep up.

The most unique and intriguing idea so far is the AHD Sealion Classic at
http://www.ahd-boards.com/models/sealion-classic/en
and
https://tinyurl.com/n2rplxq

It seems to fill the performance niche I’m seeking, plus opening up some I 
hadn’t even thought of. It’s sort of Siamese twins joined at the hips; two hulls for early planing in a straight line, one half-sized hull when you step on a swallowtail to set it on edge. Something new and different not involving strings! And it purports to be SUP-able. I’m clicking away on it. So far one owner loves it for my application, saying it gets very frequent use especially in mush and light winds. Another says it’s suited only for side to side-off venues, not the Gorge’s onshore (wind-generated swell) conditions, but then he’s surfing, not windsurfing, using a tiny sail instead of paddling to catch the waves.

Back to your ideas and comments.

My knee feels fine; running, even sprinting, feels good on it. The issue is its integrity; the graft will be healed by sailing season, but it takes months more to rebuild the atrophied thigh muscles to the point they can protect the knee properly. Those months comprise the 2014 Gorge sailing season; I’m hoping that throwing money at the problem may buy me that season without risking the next three.

My soft ride criteria applies more to sailing any big board in Gorge chop, which switches my vision off if my head starts bouncing even a little (oscillopsia).

Traction footwear sounds good, as any slip-slidin’ could send me back to the hospital toot sweet if it torqued the knee. My rehab is just now starting to allow and address very light torque. I’ll know a lot more about how the knee will actually feel in action by the time our local season starts; my concern right now is knee safety. If the knee actually hurts, that will open up a whole ‘nuther can of worms.

On the flip side, I like the idea of having a small lawn (about 15 square feet, all padded) to walk around on as I switch between carving (these things slash HARD and TIGHT if desired; I desire), cruising, trying to plane, surfing a swell, pinching upwind, running downwind, and slogging. It all sounds quite educational and interesting.

The Sealion’s twin A-box fins obviate the Powerbox requirement; I just wanted to avoid having to buy some Tuttle or Trimbox fins when I have stashes of Powerbox and A-box fins lying around.

I’ll certainly consider freestyle and FSWs; Lord knows there are plenty of them around here, and I like my JF FSW 76. My closest sailing bud has the 115L RRD Twin Tip; that’s easy to try out. However, given my 114L Synchro, I’m pretty sure I’d gain little by just changing shapes or brands. I suspect volume is also key, especially in avoiding the long swims sinkers promote.

Even bigger than the risk of getting airborne accidentally in rough terrain is the very real prospect of forgetting that I’m not strapped to the board and deliberately getting air … hooked in, to boot. Rib armor! Other than that, soaking up the bumps with knee action should … usually … keep it on the water. Avoiding tumbling crashes may be easy for better or less aggressive sailors and bigger boards, but even one crash without a clean release on both feet before I’m fully recovered could end my WSing altogether. I have every hope of being stronger than ever after full recovery (hamstring donor ACL reconstruction demands a lifetime of focus on extra ham strength), and don’t want to jeopardize it by adding unnecessary risk. Crashing in straps could spell disaster.

Holy crap it’s been windy this spring; it’s howling outside! Unfortunately even for the healthy locals, that means squat about the upcoming season.

Keep the ideas, questions, and recommendations coming. I want all the input ya got before dedicating $200, let alone $1,500, to this idea. Heck, maybe my Synchro, stripped of straps, is all I need.

Mike \m/
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have my almost-new Kona One, with a bag, $1250. I'm going to re-post the ad soon, as the season's about to get underway here in SoCal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: