myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Polio eradicated in India
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Polio eradicated in India Reply with quote

Bad news for the far right, who keep repeating that government can't accomplish anything. Of course they argue this, ignoring their driving, on a government build road, in a car that is safe because of government regulations, to a park that is owned and managed by the government. The latest accomplishment of government that could not have been done by private industry at all, much less more efficiently, is the eradication of polio in India. Funded in part by the Federal government's Center for Disease Control, and carried out under the auspices of the Indian Government.

As sane people say, government accomplishes those things we do together, generally where there is not a profit to be made. Thank goodness for that!
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no replies from the loony righties explaining that the government really didn't do this? No claims that the children of India need to just man-up and buff up their immune systems on their own? No claims that polio was eradicate in the United States despite the incompetence of government by the sheer virtue of the private sector? Perhaps we can blame polio on EPA for banning DDT?

The bubble is strangely silent when Murdoch doesn't give them talking points.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big government types seem incapable of differentiating between a task completed, and a task completed efficiently. Eventually the healthcare web-site will be completed at which point those same people will puff their chests and point to yet another government achievement.......conveniently forgetting that the task should have been completed in a fraction of the time and cost and without the botched roll-out. I have some experience with the Indian bureaucracy. It is widely known to be corrupt and hugely inefficient. There is little doubt that this program followed the usual pattern.

"Indian bureaucracy is the worst in Asia with a 9.21 rating out of 10, according to a report by a prestigious consulting firm based in Singapore. The report said India's inefficient bureaucracy was largely responsible for most of the biggest complaints that business executives have about the country. The complaints included inadequate infrastructure and corruption, where officials were willing to accept under-the-table payments and companies were tempted to pay to overcome bureaucratic inertia and gain government favours, the report claimed.
http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/indian-bureaucracy-worst-in-asia-survey/898469/
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
What, no replies from the loony righties explaining that the government really didn't do this?

Just wait..... one of 'em will point out that it was a program started by Reagan, sustained by George I, and finished by George II.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr knowitall says that the Indian bureaucracy is inefficient. That may be true. Did private enterprise eradicate polio? Or the oily companies?

Some people care only about efficiency, not the health of children. They out themselves constantly.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are abysmal, yet they were able to achieve something no private effort could. It makes your point precisely, Mac.
They also had the help of numerous charity efforts, but a gov. has the power of laws, cops, and ruthless enforcement to do good deeds.

In some places with small governments like Somalia things aren't so good.

Another country with a small government is Switzerland.

Perhaps it has little to do with size of government, and more to do with competence.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:

Another country with a small government is Switzerland.

Perhaps it has little to do with size of government, and more to do with competence.

And also a national culture that tends toward more ethical behavior and highly structured thinking.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swiss are mostly very conservative.
It seems to be more of the traditional conservatism my friends and I espouse, rather than the new Talk Radio type so common in the US.
There seems to be little interest among them in a large fake conservative media.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
The Swiss are mostly very conservative.
It seems to be more of the traditional conservatism my friends and I espouse, rather than the new Talk Radio type so common in the US.
There seems to be little interest among them in a large fake conservative media.

I'd be happy to live under Swiss rule and tax rates if the government ran like their watches, and didn't have so much money running it.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
mr knowitall says that the Indian bureaucracy is inefficient. That may be true. Did private enterprise eradicate polio? Or the oily companies?

Some people care only about efficiency, not the health of children. They out themselves constantly.

"not the health of the children", 'for the children', give it a rest. That's like saying too many people don't care about the children, an old play out of the old dem playbook, which never made any sense.

My next door neighbors are Rotarians (members of the Rotary Club), their main cause is wiping out polio throughout the world. So I was asking them about that awhile back (they have stickers on their cars that say "Eradicate Polio") "I thought we wiped out polio a long time ago", they corrected me in saying that yes, mostly in our country, but it's still prevalent throughout the rest of the world.
So I talked to them again this morning about this very post, they told me that they heard about it also but don't believe it word for word. The boarders of India are far too porous for them to be able to claim that, and I believe them. They also told me that the strange new cases that are turning up in southern Cali. of polio like symptoms in children might be a new strain that they haven't been able to pin down yet.
Long story short, there is still a lot of work to do to get rid of polio in any country, it was an eye opener for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: