myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Interesting comments from Naish
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Interesting comments from Naish Reply with quote

From the design notes for the Starship all around board that I found interesting. I think most of us pretty much know this from experience but its interesting to see it from an expert in design. Naturally, personal experience and what works for you are part of it.

All boards on the market nowadays offer a lot of options when it comes to footstrap position and mast track. How can all those options be used to the riders advantage?

◾Stance width: with 4 insert holes, any rider has the chance to choose the right stance width for their size and riding style. The traditional stance width is measured for a 175 cm tall individual, meaning that this person would choose corresponding holes for the footstraps to start with. If you are taller, start moving your stance apart. If you are smaller, you have the option to decrease the distance.

◾Using strap position further forward or backwards: the closer your back foot is over the fin, the more agile the board will react. The more you stand forward, the more settled down the riding feel will be. Standing further backwards is usually beneficial for riders with more experience as they can get the most out of the board in terms of speed. Standing further forward helps alot if you are still learning to be secure in the footstraps or if you want the board to plane easier.

◾Personal reference: if you have no personal reference then start with the point above. Over time, you will develop a stance width that suits your style. For example, if you are mainly sailing in waves or rougher water, a wider stance will be more beneficial to you.

◾Inside and outside positioning: if you are sailing long stretches in a straight line, the outside positions will be more comfortable as the top of your foot won’t get overstretched. If you like to jibe and practice maneuvers, the inside position will be more comfortable. If you are just learning how to get into the straps, you will also find the inside position more comfortable in the beginning.

◾Mast track: moving the mast track further back will liven up the board while moving it further forward will settle it down. For example, if you are getting overpowered and the board gets harder to control, you can move the mast base a bit more forward which will settle things down. This is a great way to increase the range of the board even more in extreme situations.

◾A useful trick that actually has nothing to do with the board is also your boom height. Bring the boom further down and you will gain more control in overpowered conditions, as you will be applying more pressure on the mast base. Bring your boom further up and you will receive less pressure on the mast base and a looser riding feel.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice read. Thanks for posting. Kept looking for the fin adjustment range, figured out its a powerbox.

This is something new to me: Beveled Rails = Smooth ride, softens chop + extremely forgiving in jibes

What are beveled rails ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
nice read. Thanks for posting. Kept looking for the fin adjustment range, figured out its a powerbox.

This is something new to me: Beveled Rails = Smooth ride, softens chop + extremely forgiving in jibes

What are beveled rails ?

Here's a pic of beveled rails, but in this case the bevel is somewhat concaved, aka a chined rail, but w/o the concave, it would be a true bevel.

thCAIC7D9D.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.56 KB
 Viewed:  14361 Time(s)

thCAIC7D9D.jpg

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, for the photo , its always difficult to depict things,it shows the concave, not what the rail shape is otherwise.

Some surf terms // board shape//fin configuration translate loosely into windsurf terms, others not at all.

Cheers

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the booms higher in high winds for greater leverage? Lower for more power when it's light.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyGF made me watch mean girls last night. That LL is freaking smoldering hot.
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mean Girls is good. Also How to lose a guy in 10 days, after that I pretty much run out of favorite chick flicks.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an interesting video from Patrik Diethelm. He largely sets up new boards the way I do (for my freestyle boards at least)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-BwfzvM3DY

-put in fin
-place rear footstrap relative to fin position
-place front footstraps relative to rear footstraps to get your preferred stance width
-place mast in a position relative to the straps (Patrik does not do this)

sail and see how it feels. Notice he doesn't just put everything in the middle!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
1. if you are mainly sailing in waves or rougher water, a wider stance will be more beneficial to you.

2. Bring the boom further down and you will ... be applying more pressure on the mast base. Bring your boom further up and you will receive less pressure on the mast base ...

1. ... or in gusty winds.

2. I don't see the logic. Unless we're talking about some subtle aerodynamic vertical lift from the sail, whatever weight we hang in the harness lines is opposed by the MFP regardless of the boom height. What am I missing?
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is talking about the angle of the mast. Raise the boom & the sail has to rake back farther if you don't change anything else. Lower the boom and the mast will be more up right. As Andy Brandt described in a lecture using his finger & a quarter if you press straight down on the quarter it doesn't move but if you start to lower the angle of your finger with equal pressure the quarter will start to slide away from your finger.

So I gather he is saying as you lower the boom the MFP is directed down-more control- and as you raise the boom the MFP is directed forward-more speed.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: