myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Surgical gloves against blisters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndreiA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Surgical gloves against blisters Reply with quote

Almost everybody in our ABK clinic was suffering from blisters. One doctor suggested using surgical gloves underneath a normal windsurfing glove.

It really helped me, so I'm sharing my experience here. I used duct tape around the wrist as a seal.

Combo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.85 KB
 Viewed:  26288 Time(s)

Combo.jpg

joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that tape looks tight
when winter gloves are tight, my forearms tire more easily
then again it could be when wetsuit is tight
in any case, important not to restrict circulation

what about the feeling?
doesn't feel weird ??
never liked the feeling of surgical gloves
used em in a sterile factory, but never got used to em
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using bare hands all winter, from the gym to the yard, keeps my hands just tough enough to prevent blisters when the sailing season starts.

Back when I used to get blisters, I'd plaster 'em shut with Super Glue (essentially the same stuff my surgeon used to glue my head shut after he was done), put a minimalist half-fingered WSing glove over 'em, and fugheddaboutem.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them as well, during the winter they give a little extra insulation without costing grip. Never used tape however.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: It feels all right Reply with quote

Tight - because in the photo I used electrical tape to demo the concept, run out of duct tape in my house... In theory, yes, too tight would affect circulation. In practice, sometimes I did it tight, sometimes not, and while windsurfing, I wouldn't feel any difference.

Feeling is all-right - you simply forget there are extra gloves, just like a second skin.

Agree with isobar - those who work/exercise enough won't need it. However, looking at the ABK crowd, on day 3 the majority of us were wearing extra layers of duct tape on palms and fingers. In my experience, blue gloves did better job than duct tape Smile
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing for 30 yrs and never had a blister. I have always used gloves and the best I have found in the last few years are from West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/sailing-gloves/west-marine--men-s-3-4-finger-sailing-gloves-navy-gray-xs--11657764

comfortable from day one and last a long time. I also work on weights all year long without gloves, maybe 2 X a week at the most. I get calluses which sometimes peel off, but no blisters.

However, salt water does reek more havoc on the hands than fresh, and I am mostly in fresh water.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really,.... never! You must not jibe much, or spend more that 2 hours
continuous on the water. Or it might be the continuous weights.
I sail a lot, and I almost always get blisters early season in the Gorge,
and typically the 2nd day of my Winter week in Maui. By June,
in Hood River, I'm done with blisters. My hands do toughen up quick.

-Craig

techno900 wrote:
I have been windsurfing for 30 yrs and never had a blister. .
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends where the clinic was. I found windsurfing in Margarita was a call for blisters. Warm salty water really does it on the skin. If you are just sailing to and fro, and if you are holding the boom correctly with a properly adjusted harness lines then you shouldn't have much of a problem. But if you are working on freestyle (old school or new school) then the constant use of the boom is hard on the hands.

I've never seen that method before, interesting idea.... Although I do find just wearing gloves helps me....
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get blisters in the cool salty water of the Bay area (without gloves) but it's terrible when traveling to Bonaire or Jeri with warm tropical water. Painful open blisters all over my 2 hands for the whole trip. Windsurfing gloves didn't do anything to prevent that.

Some regular visitors I met at Bonarie also recommended latex gloves under windsurfing gloves. It must help maybe because the rubbing happens between the glove layers instead. I haven't tried it yet.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1,

Believe it or not, no blisters. Except for this past year ( I moved), I was getting in 80-90 days of sailing a year. Usually for 1-2 hour sessions (actual water time). I am 69 so even with lots of workouts, I simply can't stay on the water for 3-4 hours like the good old days. I do sail year round, but now that I moved, not as much as previous years. I have only been out 9 days so far this year, but today will be #10.

I focus a lot on relaxing my grip as much as possible, balancing the rig and using the harness. I have adjustable outhauls on all my rigs from 6.6 to 11.0, so I try to keep the pull on the boom as balanced as possible to minimize the "death grip" issue in the gusts. I do plenty of gybes and rarely fall. After 30 yrs, you get a few under your belt. I raced at the US Open in Corpus Christi as a amateur for all 20 years of the events history, so my skills are a little better than average. Essentially, little or no surf sailing, so I am just an inland sailor, but now that I am in North Carolina, the Outer Banks are offering some new experiences. The down side is that it's 3-4 hours to get there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: