myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sardinia emotions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, best periods for windsurfing are spring and autumn time. In july and august you have stable high pressure, and less chance of weather fronts and related strong winds. In july and august you have generally light breeze and good conditions to take baths. September is a transition month, during which, in some years, you can still have summer conditions, and in other ones you can have already some weather fronts.
here you have a table that summarizes dìfferent conditions all year long: http://www.surftribe.it/windsurf/globospotguide_dettaglio.php?id_spot=80

Anyway, luck is a good friend. Three years ago on July they had often strong northwest wind and cold water.

Aloha. Fabio
jayturcot

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: September in Porto Pollo Reply with quote

Beautiful video Fabio.

My wife and I are going to be having our honeymoon this September with a few days in Porto Pollo to hopefully sail, if not SUP and explore the beautiful surrounding area (La Madallena etc.).

It seems (from looking online) that my two options for equipment are:
Sporting Club Sardinia - http://www.portopollo.it/
MB Pro Center - http://www.procenter.it/lang/en-US/default.aspx

Question: Could you recommend one (or others I haven't listed) based on (gear range/availability/quality)?
Hoping to have access to freestyle equipment while there, but that's secondary to just getting on the water.

Also I think, given that we will have a small car and we'll be renting, that we'll only sail in directly in Porto Pollo, and not get a chance to explore other sailing spots in the area. Either way, very excited to this beautiful country!
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayturcot. Perhaps, I'll be in Portopollo in september too! Who knows perhaps we can meet each other there.

Yes, you can rent equipment at the two surf centers you found on internet. I tried sporting club sardinia two years ago (both for rental and for lessons). Everything was ok with them. You can check on their website what brands they have.
Also, Procenter (The owner is a famous Dutch surfer) is good.
But, sporting Club Sardinia is in a better position, because it is nearer to narrow strip of sand that divides the two bays. So renting from them you can, often, choose in which condition to surf (flat water or waves), without moving by car!

If you need other informations, please ask.

Aloha. fabio
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just filmed in Porto Pollo (at sporting club sardinia): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOfISmWuKJ4
jfeehan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up a week at Porto Pollo a few days ago- much better wind than my previous trip 4 or 5 years ago in early June.

I had 6 sailing days, of which 4 were 5.5 or better. One day I sailed a 3.7 fully powered nearly the whole day. 1 day was ~6.2 and one day was very light.

I rented from the pro center behind windsurf village hotel. Gear was excellent but pretty expensive by the standards ov Vella - about 1000 euro ( $1350) for 3 people for 6 days.

Launch area was very crowded - my kids were learning beach starts and nearly always had to wait for other sailors to clear the area. There was so much gear on the beach that it was hard to find a spot to deposit my gear.

I rented a villa in Porto Rafael - about a 5 min drive from the windsurfing. It was nice with spectacular views, but also a bit expensive maybe...
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! a whole day with 3.7! that must have been really excting...
This summer lots of atlantic perturbations passed on Northern Europe and Italy (but seldom on sardinia) and that's why you had so many wind days, even if you where there in july, which is tipically less windy.
About prices, you were there in high season, and you were in one of the most exclusive area of Sardina.....
jfeehan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't complaining about the cost of the house rental - I ve been there before an I know Porto Rafael is more expensive than other areas. I think it was pretty good value for the money.

The gear rental prices are a bit steep though in comparison with vela.

I didn't compare this trip but last trip the pro center where I rented was a bit less expensive than the competition down the beach closer to the point.

I think the pro center is a bit better of a beach to hang out on - although at this time of year it turned out to be just as crowded as further down the beach.
I like their beach bar better than the others.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out I've got a little vacation planned next week that will include Sardinia. I wasn't even thinking about windsurfing on the trip so I was surprised to see this post about Sardinia. Maybe I'll figure out a way to get a little sesh in? Are there any wave spots on the island - I'm guessing no, but I've heard that the Med can get waves???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: