myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Riding multi-fin vs. single fin technique difference?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I've been using Open Ocean Tri-fins for many years, but the concept is based on using a normal sized center fin and smaller sized canted thrusters. From my experiences in surfing, when you get into smaller fin clusters maneuverability goes up, but so does a more slidey, less positive character. Sailing style and stance can often overcome problems with tracking, and it can also be done to some degree with larger fins.

For me, outside of the OO Tri-fin arrangement, I'm sticking with the basic single fin concept. I have to say though, I'm not a dedicated wave sailor. Over time, I'd like to hear the feedback that many B&J sailors have to say about tri-fins, twins and quads outside of wave conditions. From what I've gleaned up to now, defining your fin choices can be a more costly can of worms. The trend is certainly a boon for fin manufacturers.

I didn't have to change anything in my stance when I switched to Open Ocean tri-fins. I asked Brian about the extra fin area and how to compensate for it and he said just go with your favorite fin. It may be a different deal because of the asymmetrical fins but all I noticed was the extra lateral grab the side fins gives me. I can actually push harder if I want to.

motogon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I think your board has slotbox and US box..2013 ?
I would adjust the cluster as close as possible ..
A fri fin is NOT going to be as fast as a single.they will have more area thus more drag..overall slower to plane and slower.. if it doesn't. Go upwjnd better or turn better than as a single
SOMETHING. IS WRONG

Center fin is powerbox, side-biters are slotbox. So I can move only side-biters. At test time side fins was almost all way back. I guess I need to play more with three-fin setup, move stuff around, experiment more.

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I think your board has slotbox and US box..2013 ?
I would adjust the cluster as close as possible ..
A fri fin is NOT going to be as fast as a single.they will have more area thus more drag..overall slower to plane and slower.. if it doesn't. Go upwjnd better or turn better than as a single
SOMETHING. IS WRONG

For you to think all MULTI FJNS..2 3 OR 4. WILL sail with similar characteristics ..
Wrong..same as not all singles are the same

That may typically be the case but sailing with my buddy at Rio last year, he said that I was as fast as I ever have been in the past, before OO tri-fins and he's really fast so I took that as a chest bump!

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OO and Real Winds do not have the current trend/// typical fin sizes|| the chararcter is defined by all the shapes-- bottom. Nose..tail rocker rail. Et all

I saw tgd newer Fanatic. Tri-fjns have power box. Thought the older had US box.
if the sides have 130mmslots then a little adjustment.
If I were ti try some different fins I would do K4s..Ezzy in 2 degree of toe..for the slot box sides

What size center do you use...& size single?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
motogon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

I saw tgd newer Fanatic. Tri-fjns have power box. Thought the older had US box.
if the sides have 130mmslots then a little adjustment.
If I were ti try some different fins I would do K4s..Ezzy in 2 degree of toe..for the slot box sides
What size center do you use...& size single?

Single fin - MFC FW 28.
Tri-fin stock fins - center 20 cm, sides 13 cm.

westender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OO 3fin set up for most sailors will plane quicker and be no excuse for slower speeds. For myself, I can't say the turning is better with 3. I sail with 1.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin size seems right for all...maybe smaller on the sides..depending on area 13 seems a touch large ... if you alter the size ..like all the same or similar size.. the board should behaive more like a twin..still firmly planted but loose..this doesn't suit everyone..and a comprise bewtteen sizes will alter feel.. the setup you have Imo feels most like a single..imo

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wazenski

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding multi-fin vs. single fin technique difference? Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
I "Normal" stance doesn't work anymore. I have to stay more up right, drive on front foot. But what most bother me I seams to loosing ability to make sharp instant changes direction. Board doesn't "want to turn". No problem with jibes, but it jibes differently. What I'm doing wrong?

There are a lot of fine tune issues that can dramatically affect board performance. I won't get into all of them, but one critical item not mentioned in other posts is the mast foot position. As you add fin area upfront, the COE moves forward and will tend to make the nose ride lower. To compensate, the mast foot needs to come back a bit. Try 1 cm increments at a time (yes, it can be that sensitive).

Other tuning issues I'll mention: Fin position fore/aft, Front fin toe angle (manufacturers get this wrong), front fin area and rake, boom height, footstrap position. How much time do you have?
underwood

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
I didn't mention board from beginning because when I demoed RRD firewave 102 I felt absolutely same way, so I think it is general trend.
... but if you insist board is 2013 Fanatic FW 95.

If you decide you want to sell it send me a message, seriously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: