myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
On the use of adjustable outhaul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
You almost got it. Wind picks up. The COE moves back. You feel overpowered. The big reason you feel overpowered is that the COE moved back and you didn't move your harness lines to compensate. Set the formula racing world on fire, and be the first to move your harness lines as needed!

This forum has all level of sailors. Some are happy with their current skill level, and for those, working around fixed harness lines may work. I push my limits, and I'm trying to make myself a better racer and gps'er. Some day, I'd like to give the best racers in the world a run for their money. It'll never happen, but I can try. Gets scary sometimes. It's not going to happen with fixed harness lines. Especially, in marginal conditions where your at min outhaul. The lines have to come forward or you'll stall the sail to easily.

Yay a GPSer Very Happy

When the wind really starts howling, I tend to make my harness lines wider (back end of harness moves but front doesn't). I have marked positions on my boom with electrical tape showing where the lines can be "moved" to adjust for changing wind conditions.

Trim set adjustments are mainly done on the upwind tack to get back safely than on the downwind, I just release the rope completely and bear off Very Happy

coachg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
You almost got it. Wind picks up. The COE moves back. You feel overpowered. The big reason you feel overpowered is that the COE moved back and you didn't move your harness lines to compensate. Set the formula racing world on fire, and be the first to move your harness lines as needed!

How do you move your harness lines in the middle of a race? Not being sarcastic here, just curious. It just seems to me that it would be far easier & much faster to simply adjust the outhaul but I could be wrong?

Coachg
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're really not being sarcastic? You're kidding, right?
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
konajoe wrote:

How do you move your harness lines in the middle of a race? Not being sarcastic here, just curious. It just seems to me that it would be far easier & much faster to simply adjust the outhaul but I could be wrong?

Coachg

Hmmm I can only move my lines if I unhook...not a racer though and would think unhooking during a slalom race could be troublesome. Formula could be different.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay, I am only doing what the best sailors in the world are doing, and it seems to work. An old fart amateur formula racer isn't going to be setting any trends.

Over the 20 years of the US Open in Corpus Christi (last 6 or so on formula), we had many days of 20-30 knot winds. Trust me, it would not have been possible to move harness lines in 4'+ chop in 25 knot winds without getting tossed in.

On my smaller sails, I do move harness lines at times when the wind changes and I am not balanced. I know what it takes to compensate for a change of COE, both with and without adjustable outhauls. My question to Konajoe is - have you tried adjustable harness lines?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: