myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water Bottle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Water Bottle? Reply with quote

I was thinking about a small water bottle to hang on a side of the harness and use it during a session. Does anyone use something like that as a one-hand-easy-to-reach setup?

Andrei
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camelback. You don't want something dangling off your gear that can snag on your equipment.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Bottle? Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:
I was thinking about a small water bottle to hang on a side of the harness and use it during a session. Does anyone use something like that as a one-hand-easy-to-reach setup?

Andrei

Why not try a camelback/hydration pack? Some of the San Diego sailors use em and it seems to work fine for them.

-Kevin

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two camelback. The one I use for mountain biking has extrapockets, a waist belt and a "tyrolienne" (a part used to hold the shoulder traps together on the chest). It doesn't move around but I dislike it for windsurfing. The belt gets in the way and the extra bulk is felt in the water.

I prefer a smaller streamlined one with only thin shoulder straps. I tought it would move around while freeriding but not so. Mountain biking is brutal in comparison. The camelback moves around while in the water but I never felt like loosing it. And since it's streamlined, it doesn't pull when you turn or swim.
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've done a few times, and it worked great, was to use the CamelBak without the actual bladder. Instead, I just brought a couple of biking water bottles in it. This allowed more room for other things like a phone in a LifeProof case and avoided the dangling hose. Either way is fine, but in the hot mid-summer coastal NC thermal generated winds it's essential to have some hydration when sailing several miles out to the barrier islands etc.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I sail in the summer at a spot where the sailing area is some distance from the launch, I use a small platypus bladder in a kokatat pack that clips on the back of my NP float coat. NP used to make a pack for this purpose, but not any longer, even though their ads for the float coats state that there are hooks for a hydration pack on them (which there are), but the hydration packs are no longer available, as I stated. The little Kokatat one fits perfectly. I can even grab a gulp while I am sailing. It's really great.

One of the guys I sail with at this place carries a water bottle in a holder that he slings over his shoulder. He has to stop to take a sip/gulp/drink. I don't.

Have fun!!
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a trendsetter, May I add my personal favorite?
Because I have kids, I started carrying some juice packs in the van, and the Capri Sun packs are actually not too much sugar.

They are 250cc foil packs, you shove one or two of them into your wetsuit and you are golden.

I did the camelback under a rash guard, but really never needed that much fluid......The Capri suns are perfect

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm, warm Capri Sun, yum yum, if you stored those near your armpits, you could even add a little flavah.

;*)

-Craig

outcast wrote:
As a trendsetter, May I add my personal favorite?
Because I have kids, I started carrying some juice packs in the van, and the Capri Sun packs are actually not too much sugar.

They are 250cc foil packs, you shove one or two of them into your wetsuit and you are golden.

I did the camelback under a rash guard, but really never needed that much fluid......The Capri suns are perfect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: