myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What other boom head will fit my Streamlined booms?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: What other boom head will fit my Streamlined booms? Reply with quote

I'm getting zero interest in the pristine Streamlined Angulo model booms I've been trying to sell. People ask, "What's that funny metal head on them?", or even "I've never heard of Streamlined". I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and retrofit some other head. Chinook's too small, maybe Maui Sails? The MS head and mast shim (required for skinny masts), though, runs $150 ... probably not worth the expense just to sell the booms.

Mike \m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recollect, you had a Maui Sails carbon boom that you didn't like because it was too difficult to remove from the mast. You aren't forgetting what you said in the past? That would be a bad sign.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Checked that thread. That's one reason I'm asking for an alternative. You and others derided me in that thread for using a shim with Skinnies, but MS insists they are required.
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MauiSails boom head has been a happy marriage to my Streamlined boom. I did have to epoxy a portion
from an old broken mast to the boom yoke to keep the head centered on the boom:
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diameters look readily compatible, so I thought the MS would fit (with the 2.5 mm shim). Thanks for confirming it, and for the mast segment suggestion.
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your ad for the Streamlined booms and I'm surprised someone hasn't grabbed them. Your price puts them in "bargain" range. The Streamlines are one of those products that are extraordinarily well made and extremely reliable and durable. They are absolutely top notch products. Somebody needs to jump on them before they are gone.

Last edited by thombiz on Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars,

Seemingly, you need a bit of help remembering.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23663&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, Steve: read my response to you above.
And try your best to concentrate on the topic rather than the messenger for once; the forum would benefit immensely.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars,

Let's see if I was wrong in my initial post. Here is some of what you said.

"With MS, I have to fight their stiff, unhinged, split collar into the boom cutout and past the sail and over the mast, and I don't know how guys who don't lift weights remove the boom when derigging. The latter ALWAYS takes me two tries unless I go do some pushups and squat thrusts and stub a toe and debate some politics to psyche myself up before my first huge yank on the boom, and I DO lift weights. The necessary yank is so violent that some people turn around to see what happened. Try to be cool and muscle the boom off the mast quietly and it's not going to budge even from a Skinny."

"I would LOVE to see someone else mount their MS boom on a mast with only 2 or 3 hands and without extra effort and care due to its tight, stiff, split collar/gate. I've even had my last couple of sail quivers built with longer boom cutouts just to reduce that hassle. I have 2 or 3 MS booms, and every one exhibits the same recalcitrance. I'll have to try to find someone who uses them and see if mine are unique; I've never noticed anyone else using them.

Dismounting them doesn't take significant extra time, just Herculean effort. I can downhaul my sails fully with one bare hand, but it takes the mightiest freaking YANK I can muster to remove a MS boom head from the mast, and it sounds like a mylar explosion. Nothing less removes the front end. My first effort is very seldom effective."

"I'm selling mine expressly due to their rigging hassle."

Again, was I wrong in my comment? No.

Regarding your response, you answered "Nope" and then you falsely accused me of deriding you for using a shim with "skinnies". That never happened, and you can't prove that it did.

Speaking for myself, I always use the MS shim because all my current masts are RDMs. Moreover, I retrofitted my HPL carbon boom with the MS front end because I think that it's a superior product. Over the years, I've been quite vocal about my opinion of the MS carbon booms. I've had my criticisms, like the too soft grip material, but I was only being honest.

Overall, you might not like the fact that I called attention to what you've said in the past about the MS front end, but I wasn't being unfair in doing so. Are you willing to say that you might have been wrong in your earlier opinions? One has to think so, since you appear to be considering retrofitting your Streamlined boom with the MS front end.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
you falsely accused me of deriding you (for using a shim with "skinnies"). That never happened, and you can't prove that it did.

Now you're playing parsing games. The shim issue was the heart of the debate, in which you said:
“Ever watch someone make a job infinitely tougher than it really is? In my view the installation and removal steps are actually quite easy, but you do need to understand how the design works and be able to finesse it. Yanking things around isn't the best way to do anything right.”

“isobars will never get it. He's just too one dimensional to figure things out. Also, subtlety and finesse definitely aren't strong elements in his playbook.
And, surprisingly, he seems to have trouble remembering how many Maui Sails booms he has. One has to wonder about this guy.”

swchandler wrote:
Speaking for myself ... but I was only being honest.

But I'm not allowed that leeway?

swchandler wrote:
Overall, you might not like the fact that I called attention to what you've said in the past about the MS front end

AFTER I had already referred to it, which you ignored.

swchandler wrote:
Are you willing to say that you might have been wrong in your earlier opinions?

Not one whit, and very easily proved. But until someone offers a better solution to selling it, I seem to have no other choice.

swchandler wrote:
One has to think ...

You might try thinking what's in others' minds less and reading what they post more.

If you want to piss in this thread more, feel free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: