myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What other boom head will fit my Streamlined booms?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
KevinDo wrote:
I use one boom for 3 different masts and I have to say the Maui Head is sure easy to adjust!

-Kevin

Do you use the Maui head on another brand?

Oops meant to say I use the Maui Boom. I have considered getting a maui head for my Chinook Pro 1.

outhaul

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:

Oops meant to say I use the Maui Boom. I have considered getting a maui head for my Chinook Pro 1.

How do you rate/rank the Chinook, boom and head, to the Maui? Durability of grip?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the Chinook head is infinitely simpler to use, but Chinook's boom grip is a weak point, usually opening and peeling at the seams. A dab of contact cement fixes the grip, but I've found no cure for having to fight the MS front end on and off its skinny mast shim. I'm about ready to spray McLube on the MS cuff and its shim, then hope the flanges on the shim plus the cuff's pad keep the boom from slipping down the mast. Others have no problem with the MS head + the skinny shim; I hope someone will explain how they get around the cuff's extreme stiffness and its edge snagging in the shim's gap. If Chinook's head would fit my Streamlined or MS booms, I'd retrofit Chinook heads on everything and be done with it.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to have any of the issues you're having with the MS head?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get the VERY stiff split cuff on over the tacky split RDM shim? There's a great deal of friction between the cuff and the shim, and no matter how I orient the shim's opening, at some point the cuff's sharp edge hangs up in the shim's opening. It's by far the biggest single fight in the entire parking/ unloading/assembling/launching process. I hope I can find a buyer with your and Chandler's success, or that I can master you guys' trick.

At least removing the boom from the shimmed mast is easier; all I have to do is muster the biggest, most powerful YANK of the day, slamming the mast against my abs, to force the cuff off the shim. It takes only 2 or 3 tries, and makes a lot of noise as the whole sail reacts.

BTW, some people said they don't use the shim because they trust their RDM masts not to break. That's not the issue. Without the shim, the clamp's cam does not go overcenter and doesn't clamp securely ... if at all. That's why MS says it's mandatory.
outhaul

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
IMO, the Chinook head is infinitely simpler to use, but Chinook's boom grip is a weak point, usually opening and peeling at the seams. A dab of contact cement fixes the grip

Don't mean to drift too far off topic but I find it interesting that by far the best grip in terms of durability has been on my Chinook Pro Alloy, over two seasons of heavy use and no nicks or peeling, it's still almost perfect and my past history indicates I'm hard on grips.
I checked out a brand new Chinook Pro Carbon and noticed a couple of small nicks and cuts, a boom that was fresh out of the protective wrap mind you.
Is it unreasonable to expect the grip to be pristine when new? I think not.
Seems to me there must be a better material or grade of foam that would hold up better. If windsurfing was as popular as SUPing bigger money and competition between brands would probably solve the issue. Yes, I think it's an issue when a boom is over $700.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority, maybe all, of my Chinook Pro-1 booms peel where I grip them, often within days. The seam is right beneath my fingertips, and even though I try to avoid "the death grip", I do USE my booms aggressively, so the seams do get worked. They aren't up to it until I lift the peel, mask it off, apply Barge Cement, and mash it down. Problem solved, but the problem shouldn't be there anyway at that price. What would better glue cost them ... 10 cents per boom? I don't have that problem on other brands.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waitinSD wrote:
how can you see and respond directly to his posts?

It takes three clicks to lower my shields when I suspect one of the troublemakers might actually be contributing something relevant and useful to me.

What's your problem with me anyway ... post envy?

And what happened to the big bad moderators?
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
How do you get the VERY stiff split cuff on over the tacky split RDM shim? There's a great deal of friction between the cuff and the shim, and no matter how I orient the shim's opening, at some point the cuff's sharp edge hangs up in the shim's opening. It's by far the biggest single fight in the entire parking/ unloading/assembling/launching process. I hope I can find a buyer with your and Chandler's success, or that I can master you guys' trick.

At least removing the boom from the shimmed mast is easier; all I have to do is muster the biggest, most powerful YANK of the day, slamming the mast against my abs, to force the cuff off the shim. It takes only 2 or 3 tries, and makes a lot of noise as the whole sail reacts.

BTW, some people said they don't use the shim because they trust their RDM masts not to break. That's not the issue. Without the shim, the clamp's cam does not go overcenter and doesn't clamp securely ... if at all. That's why MS says it's mandatory.

Hmmm...odd I just push the mast onto/into the cuff? Regarding taking it off, I just yank it once and call it a day. I guess I'll have to make a video of it.
QueNeo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the streamlined heads is they break. I've broken a lot of them, maybe 5 or so, causing some loooong swims. Always the same place too- right next to where the clip goes on.

The Maui ones look better, but I hear some people say they slip.

Well, so does every boom head including the streamlined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: