myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What other boom head will fit my Streamlined booms?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
isobars wrote:
How do you get the VERY stiff split cuff on over the tacky split RDM shim?

Hmmm...odd I just push the mast onto/into the cuff?

The ends of MS front boom end (FBE) cuffs overlap extensively and powerfully. They must be forced apart and help apart with two hands (split cuff), while my third hand forces the FBE over the cuff, my fourth hand keeps the inhaul and the sail out of the jaws, and my fifth hand keeps the edges of the cuff out of the shim split. If I have to pick my nose during this process, I have to stop, rest, and start over, because I have only five hands.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
KevinDo wrote:
isobars wrote:
How do you get the VERY stiff split cuff on over the tacky split RDM shim?

Hmmm...odd I just push the mast onto/into the cuff?

The ends of MS front boom end (FBE) cuffs overlap extensively and powerfully. They must be forced apart and help apart with two hands (split cuff), while my third hand forces the FBE over the cuff, my fourth hand keeps the inhaul and the sail out of the jaws, and my fifth hand keeps the edges of the cuff out of the shim split. If I have to pick my nose during this process, I have to stop, rest, and start over, because I have only five hands.

Try watching this video to see if your rigging it the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9BWrXesQI&feature=youtu.be
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Streamlined boom source told me its head must be very tight on the mast, or the head will crack, that ANY gap between mast and boom head weakens the head under load. Once I tension the clamp straps properly, I mark them so I can tell at a glance whether they're slipped enough to need re-adjustment and can tell how much to tighten them.

My MS FBEs, OTOH, never slip even clamped down very lightly (on an RDM w/shim).

I'm going to go out and try Kevin's MS mounting approach on a rig. If it is as simple as his video makes it look, I'll just sell the Chinook booms I bought to replace the Streamlined booms. Thanks for the videos; maybe I can free up three hands ... or two if my nose is bugging me. You're using the mast as a tool to open the cuff, rather than using multiple hands to open the cuff and then using yet more hands to shove the cuff over the mast while holding the cuff open. It surely looks simpler than my approach. Then you just sort of "roll" the cuff off the shim to dismount the boom, pulling it sideways rather than along the boom's axis ... counterintuitive to other brands with pivoting cuffs, but simple once one sees the light. Too bad MS doesn't suggest that.

OK, I tried Kevin's technique. To no surprise after watching the video, it works well. It helps that my new MS cuffs are softer than my older ones; I could pull the new ones off along the boom's axis without having to YANK them, but Kevin's lateral pull was still easier, especially aiding it with the elbow that's right there anyway.

That's great. The two brands weigh exactly the same, their stiffnesses are very comparable, and I like both the Chinook and the Streamlined boom profiles better than I do the MS boom profile.

Of course, I'll have to glue the Chinook grip material back in place before selling them. They've been used a couple of times, so they're peeling like K-Mart booms, as usual. They'll thus be better than new when I sell them.

Thanks, Kevin. Solutions are infinitely more useful than insults.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Iso. I'm glad to help.

A few more tips for using the Maui Sails Front Boom Head

-don't open up the boom lever all the way when pushing the split cuff onto the mast/shim... you can see that the corners of the boom lever where the ropes enter/exit protrude into the "mast space" when fully open. Having the lever partially or fully closed will make it easier to mount the boom on the mast

-if you are going to roll the boom off the mast at the end of your session, make sure the boom lever is closed. The boom head will articulate slightly when using the roll off method, and an open boom lever can scratch up the boom grip when fully open. If your boom head articulates too much when rolling it off the mast, you can tighten up the two boom head bolts a touch.

-don't loop the in haul line around the split cuff when not using the boom... this lets the split cuff rest a little more "open" and makes it a little easier to push onto the mast

In my experience, the Maui Sails Boom Head has a very positive and secure connection to the mast and is easy to use (although maybe not intuitive).

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
-don't open up the boom lever all the way when pushing the split cuff onto the mast/shim... you can see that the corners of the boom lever where the ropes enter/exit protrude into the "mast space" when fully open.

Got it. That narrow space was a concern when I first looked at your method.

kevinkan wrote:
if you are going to roll the boom off the mast at the end of your session, make sure the boom lever is closed. The boom head will articulate slightly when using the roll off method ...

My "roll" was in the plane of the boom, rather than up or down the mast.

kevinkan wrote:
don't loop the in haul line around the split cuff when not using the boom... this lets the split cuff rest a little more "open" and makes it a little easier to push onto the mast

I figgered I'd just shove one 'o my size 13s in there between sailing trips.

It's tempting to take this solution to the next level by coating the inside of the flexible part of the cuff with McLube and rely on the shim's flanges and the FBE's grip pad to keep the boom in place. If that slipped, it would be easy to sand the McLube off.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you know the technique and after a few sessions, the flaps on the boom front end break in, and it's very easy to get the boom on and off the mast... shouldn't be any need for McLube, but I guess it wouldn't hurt either. The grippage/slippage on the Maui Sails boom is between the shim and the mast... so even if McLubing did cause slippage, it would only be b/w the head and the shim, and that would only be a few mm b/f it bottomed out on lower lip of the shim.

sorry for the terrible run-on sentence

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run-ons don't bother me if they are clear, as yours is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: