myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf as means of transportation. Setup suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogseatflies

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Windsurf as means of transportation. Setup suggestions? Reply with quote

I'm looking to windsurfing in about 2 feet of water in the flats/shallow water in south florida. I've never windsurfed before but I know how to sail and I'm very athletic. I'm planning on traveling with a fishing pole or speargun and going from spot to spot (anchoring at each spot) and getting fish… and then traveling back home. I'm about 6'2" and 185 lbs and will have about 10 pounds of gear in my backpack. So I'll be totaling near 200 lbs.

Anybody have suggestions for a board? or setup?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurf as means of transportation. Setup suggestions? Reply with quote

Yep, I suggest 2 things, 1st, that you find an old Fanatic Utra or MegaCat
(the fin should just barely clear 2 ft) complete with rig, purchase that for
about $400, and then get some lessons, or find somebody to show you
how to start. The number of really really coordinated sit down sailors,
who thought they'd just jump on a windsurfer and go, are legion, and
gave the sport up pretty quickly.

What you propose sounds like great sport, I see guys on Maui doing
it often.

Good luck

-Craig

frogseatflies wrote:
I'm looking to windsurfing in about 2 feet of water in the flats/shallow water in south florida. I've never windsurfed before but I know how to sail and I'm very athletic. I'm planning on traveling with a fishing pole or speargun and going from spot to spot (anchoring at each spot) and getting fish… and then traveling back home. I'm about 6'2" and 185 lbs and will have about 10 pounds of gear in my backpack. So I'll be totaling near 200 lbs.

geohaye

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions.

Most of all, stick to it and don't give up if you get frustrated. Once you get dialed in, it will be very cool.
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U should stop at ace performance McGregor it's on the way to Sanibel
Talk to Roy he has lot's of new and used wind paddle board's
And can all so give lesson's or rent u gear tell u know what u want
Lot's of us sail on the cassway when the wind is up.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, agree with Craig. But not just the Fanatic Cat's... but also any other good raceboard from the early - mid 90's.
Mistral Equipe's.
F2 Lightning's
Bic Bamba's

The fixed rear fins on these boards will stick down only about a foot.
And the retractable centerboards will stick down, just a bit more, or right at 2 feet. However, since they're all easily retractable... they will pivot back as needed on their own, if the end hits anything.
AND... this won't upset your sailing at all. Most people don't even notice, if their centerboard pivots back a little... the board still sails fine, and there's no jolt, etc.
But if you're in light winds... or, you're trying to sail upwind... you will want to pivot it back to straight down, when the water is a few inches deeper.
You easily do this with your foot, while sailing... not a big deal at all.

Good luck,
Greg -
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurf as means of transportation. Setup suggestions? Reply with quote

frogseatflies wrote:

The best option is to get a modern Wind-SUP, that is a stand up paddle board that is set up to also carry a sail. The reason is that these are wider and more stable platforms than old windsurf, and they allow a variety of uses. Some even have set ups for carrying fishing equipment. I would stay away from old boards that despite the length were rather unstable. Only advantage is that if you can find one they will be cheap, but you get what you pay for ...

You need something at least 185L (better 200-210) and 11' long. Look for BIC, Starboard, Exocet they all offer it at different price point and there are even inflatables that work great. Get one with a dagger board and you are set.

See for example http://www.star-board.com/2013/products/boards/index.php?id=windsup

windsurf-stand-up-paddle-boards-wind-sup-inflatable-21434-6677381.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.55 KB
 Viewed:  17407 Time(s)

windsurf-stand-up-paddle-boards-wind-sup-inflatable-21434-6677381.jpg

xander.arch

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do exactly this on a Mistral Equipe on Martha Vineyard way back in the late eightees. I had a waterproof kayak style roll bag with a handle that I clipped around the mast with the bottom facing toward the nose. I had a line of velcro on the board and bag to keep the bag from slipping around. I carried the rod along the mast inside the boom with a couple Velcro loops securing it to the mast. I could cover a ton of ground and would usually sail to spots where I would shore cast to catch bluefish and/or Bonita. Sometimes I'd use the board as a casting platform, but the old longboards are pretty narrow and are a little tippy for that. I also tried trolling and tried all sorts of rod holders without much success. Managing the sail and rod together is tricky, but it can be done in light wind. If you are looking to use the board as a fishing platform then id definitely go for one of the wider sailing sup style boards or even a modern beginner windsurf board. Stability will be your friend. And Please don't wear a backpack. That sounds like a recipe for death. Just figure out a way to lash your gear to the deck.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lash the gear to the deck with some bungees that go all around the bottom. Some of us lash a cooler to the nose. A trainer board is ideal and cheaper than a SUP. Bring a net catch bag and lash to the deck with the fish in it with more bungees.
It is hard to troll because you mostly sail too fast and can't mind the line.
Use a tiny sail like a kid rig. Much easier to learn and drop and pick up often to stop and fish.
Learning to windsurf at speed takes time.
Learning to slog without planing on a trainer takes a lot less time.
A lesson will make a BIG dif.
I never liked fooling around with a roll bag. We just take things that could get wet.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sail fished over on Maui. As long as you don't go too fast you can troll.

Funny story. When I was younger I decided to put 80 lb test line onto the back of my board attached to the back foot strap. I put the largest lure I could find and then sailed out to blue water. I was so lucky that whatever I caught that day was so large that it snapped the line. I almost blew up when it hit, and I dragged about 10 feet back as the line broke.

It's a blast, and can be done. You might enjoy sailing more though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: