myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I'm 6'2 and 180lbs. Is this a good setup for me?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogseatflies

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: I'm 6'2 and 180lbs. Is this a good setup for me? Reply with quote

I'm a beginner. I've owned and sailed two Hobie 16's. I'm athletic. I've never windsurfed.

I'm looking at getting a new Fanatic Viper 80L. It's a setup that comes with the Chinook Power Glide Rig and a 5.5 sail. Is this good for me? Thanks.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
You will need a much larger board to start. If you are anywhere near that you can take a lesson or two or visit someplace that you can, you will get a wealth of information on what you need to start with and what to look out for. Often the first board that you use is not the one you would buy if you are athletic as you may learn fast and be ready for a more intermediate board early on. The lessons will help you know that, or not, as the case may be.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Fanatic Viper 80?

The 80 in the title seems to be the board width, not volume....

http://www.fanatic.com/product/viper/#productDetailsTabs2

If that is, in fact, the board you're talking about, it would be a fine beginner board.

Try not to blow too much money on a beginner board.... you'll likely outgrow that relatively quickly unless you live in a low-wind area where a high-volume board is useful. For beginner gear, try and buy on sale or used!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a board that worx for beginners yet one may never grow out of?

kona one.

http://www.konaone.com/

i've been sailing since 1983. i really like sailing the kona one.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with jingebritsen on this one I'm 6'2" 200 lb and one of my
Most used board's is my excoet windsup 11'8" i use it in lite wind
7 to 20 also work's as a sup on day's when there little to no wind.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: I'm 6'2 and 180lbs. Is this a good setup for me? Reply with quote

frogseatflies wrote:
I'm a beginner. I've owned and sailed two Hobie 16's. I'm athletic. I've never windsurfed.

I'm looking at getting a new Fanatic Viper 80L. It's a setup that comes with the Chinook Power Glide Rig and a 5.5 sail. Is this good for me? Thanks.

clarify the board please ? size is 80 liters ?

you boat experience will help with some aspects, dont expect a transition without trial and tribulations

opposite switch would be more accommodating . Similar feel on the water, you will like it...alot

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 is the width, not the volume. That's a fine board for your first board.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget that Frogs' goal is commuting between anchored fishing spots in Florida (see his last thread). Wouldn't sheer volume be an important criterion? Doesn't that bump the Kona 1, at 220L and with a daggerboard) up the list for its size and versatility? That presumes, of course, that its daggerboard will just swing up when it hits bottom, as no venue is a consistent 24 inches deep.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I thought the OP was indicating that it was an 80 liter board. 80 cm wide is a different story and results in a different answer.

The comments by other posters above are correct.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogs,

The Viper will be a bit more stable than the Kona at 80 cm vs 70. I think the Kona can be a more versatile long term investment. I'm an intermediate sailor and I still have a lot of fun on it. I sail it with sails between 9.5 and 5.2, altough the 5.2 conditions must not be too choppy to still enjoy the ride. This board is very versatile, not difficult to use. The duck tail is not a gimmick either, and my next long board (if not a K1) will have one too for sure.

The Kona world championship will happen soon in Florida. There will be used or very slightly used boards available for you if interested.

KONA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2014 October 31 – November 5 2014, Guy Harvey Islander Resort

If you think you will sail in very light wind, you might as well consider an old (and free) dacron sail too, about 6.0 m. They are very light, and will perform much better than your 5.5 in light wind.

You might also want to start with a larger sail if you allready know well how to sail. I peronnally restarted windsurfing with a 7.5 @190lbs. Such a sail is not too big, and can be used to learn to plane in medium winds too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: