myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why is small business failing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC, wonder why whole foods is so expensive? I'm not talking about food, but a comm9n sense approach is warranted there too. I mostly shop at organic food stores.

I wonder who regulates Mana Foods in Maui? Some guys in a pickup truck come to my house there and pick the breadfruit and coconuts from my trees. They sell it to Mana Foods as organic. Just wondering who checks on me? FYI

When I'm eating at Mama's Fish House, the menu says "Ono, caught this morning by Alan Cadiz"......Who checks the fish? I assume no one.

The point is, the government should trust most small businesses to do the right thing.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve ... before you go too far down the negative path, I would urge you spend some time in Silicon Valley. The small tech business revolution 2.0 is in full swing. Many young entrepeneurs are chomping on the bit to be the next WhatsApp, or Nest. The city is on fire, real estate, and restaurants are exploding. Entrepeneurship is a alive and well, and the youth dominate this area of the country.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really agree that I would like to live in a world where you could trust small businesses to do right.
You included an example of small business guys in pick ups who are faking the organic thing because of lax regulation.
I included an example of the days when we trusted food sellers to tell the truth also.
That world of self regulating small businesses is called the third world.
Be very very careful of the food you eat there. And every thing else you buy from small businesses.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve...Is Alan Cadiz still teaching people how to perfect their Jibe?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
This is true today for "natural" products. The word has no regulation so it is being used to trick you.

If you choose to accuse people you have never met of dishonesty, be my guest. I, however, have met them and been around their farm. In my estimation they are honest, hardworking people who have chosen to live a wholesome life in a very rural environment and to produce wholesome food.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsy, silicon valley, really?
That is one of only three areas that are experiencing that kind of growth that I can think of, the other two being inside the beltway of DC (the rapid growth of government), and in the fracking areas of North Dakota (the high demand for oil).
But three areas does not make an overall healthy environment for small business throughout the rest of the country. They are nothing more than exceptions.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
They have been incentivized to put their money into hard income producing assets instead of manufacturing and research.

Sure thing. Like new condos, yachts, ski resorts, car elevators, 10 or 12 homes (one for each month) -- all of which makes money for THEM when they sell.

But, do they invest in your small business? Of course not! Mitt puts his money in off-shore banks, where it's available to grow and stimulate off-shore businesses, not US businesses.

stevenbard wrote:
Secondly, a guy who's making 500k-1million isn't the problem. Small business creates most new jobs in America and should be the top priority of any administration.

I agree. It's guys like you who hire workers -- providing you need them. You need them when customers have money to spend on your services. So, the money needs to be available to the lower and middle classes in order to spur the economy.

And that's what all the spending programs intended (not all were successful). For example, the much-hated "Cash for Clunkers" made money available to you and me to buy an American made car (= jobs for Americans) providing we junked a low-mileage clunker (= less fuel consumption and cleaner air).

But...... the guy who's making bazillions (Ellison, Koch brothers, Adelson, etc.) is KEEPING the profits or spending on personal items (yachts) or on politicians.

stevenbard wrote:
The point is, the government should trust most small businesses to do the right thing.

Unfortunately, we have plenty of evidence that some small businesses are not trustworthy.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
boggsy, silicon valley, really?
That is one of only three areas that are experiencing that kind of growth that I can think of, the other two being inside the beltway of DC (the rapid growth of government), and in the fracking areas of North Dakota (the high demand for oil).
But three areas does not make an overall healthy environment for small business throughout the rest of the country. They are nothing more than exceptions.

From my perspective, its many areas. The Bay Area, Texas, The Dakotas, the Seattle Area, Boston, Charlotte, and many others. BTW- government employment has been declining in the last few years. The future of growth is technology, information technology, energy technolgy, transportation, etc...the jobs and small businesses are there for the taking. NW- the salad days are over!!! Its time to for Americans to get a good education and strive to be the next WhatsApp.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
three areas does not make an overall healthy environment for small business throughout the rest of the country. They are nothing more than exceptions.

Yet Hurricane Sandy, wildfires out west, and 3 feet of snow in Colorado yesterday prove that we must tear up the economy and tell people how to live their daily lives because AGW is going to kill off half the planet. Never mind that cow methane warms the planet more than do all the cars and trucks on the roads, or that China and India are (unintentionally) pumping out all the smog they possibly can to save their economies, or that this "97% of scientists say GW is both severe and anthropomorphic" is an easily disproved lie, or that the main thing this new climate change assessment proves with its own data is how asinine climate models are.

G F G!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Steve...Is Alan Cadiz still teaching people how to perfect their Jibe?

He sure is! But, I think he needs to fish to make ends meet. Or, he just loves fishing! Either way, it's a cool lifestyle if you can afford it.

I often ask myself whether I need that extra money. My kids say "yes we do Dad"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: