myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hanging on for dear life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll comment on BFF vs FFF if and when anyone posts something about it that hasn't already been beaten to death. Until then, you guys are welcome to post your same old misconceptions about how it's done and what it accomplishes.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'll comment on BFF vs FFF if and when anyone posts something about it that hasn't already been beaten to death."

Is that a promise? One can only hope.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne and Konajoe,

I used to do much more planing in the front strap only for the wrong reasons. I had trouble getting in the back strap and thought it was a technique issue. It was not the case, it was more of a tuning issue.

Once I decided I had to sail with both feet in the straps, I started searching for ways to make it happen. When things are trimmed correctly, your back foot will place itself over the back strap, and you'll feel the strap is annoying and in the way. Might as well put it in, and it's not difficult at all by then. If the strap is too far back, it means the setup is wrong.

I see two conditions. The first one is peculiar to the Kona I think. If you are stuck in the slow planing mode I described earlier in this thread, there is no setup possible. You have to change the objective and ride with the nose higher, the board will free up. In the slow plane mode, I had to sail with the back foot close to the front strap, very catapult prone! I also found than if I'm able to be on a slow plane, I can also be on a full plane instead, no excuses.

If you are planing correctly, but still don't have you back foot very close or over the back strap, some tuning is required. What jingebritsen offered is good. A higher boom (readjust the harness lines) and a mast base further back will help a lot. Moving the straps forward and even using a smaller fin can be good too. The last two are maybe more extreme. To sail well with a 6.0 and the Kona, I need to move the straps forward and use a 40 fin. If very well powered, I cannot tune this setup anymore and it's very difficult to get the back foot in. Slapping a 28 onshore fin in fixes the problem right away.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:
I've never seen anybody riding waves with their back foot in and front foot out.

And I've never suggested doing that.

It seems that if you are to offer that as an example than you are most certainly suggesting it don't you think?

isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was Craig.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That was Craig.

From very experienced ocean sailor stevenbard just yesterday ... "today I was rescued after an off the lip on a southern hemi swell and big winds. I hit so hard and contorted on the wave face that I broke my ankle. Stuck in the footstrap (front only) ... " Just one of MANY incidents of foot and ankle injuries caused by FFOnly sailing.

uchida

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne; I assume that you sail in an area where there are a few experienced sailors. Don't be shy about asking their opinion as to your rigging technique. Through the past 30 years or so of sailing I've noticed that one of the biggest problem people have with their sailing begins on the beach with improper sail rigging. A properly rigged sail will be one of the most important parts of being able to handle all but the most extreme conditions. Ask. Most sailors I know are more than willing to give suggestions on a properly rigged kit. It makes all the difference in the world. And by the way I'm with Iso, bff!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:

From very experienced ocean sailor stevenbard just yesterday ... "today I was rescued after an off the lip on a southern hemi swell and big winds. I hit so hard and contorted on the wave face that I broke my ankle. Stuck in the footstrap (front only) ... " Just one of MANY incidents of foot and ankle injuries caused by FFOnly sailing.

Context context context...

-Front foot only sailing was mentioned way earlier as a way to sail when there isn't enough wind to get into both footstraps. Your example of high wind wavesailing is not quite the same thing.

-what "Many incidents of foot and ankle injuries caused by FF only sailing"? Who is doing all this front foot only in the straps sailing? Particularly excluding wavesailing (which this thread is not about)?

The original poster Darbonne started the thread to discuss board control...he doesn't sail in any footstraps, nor is he wavesailing...he's sailing a Kona on a lake. NOVAAN gave a description of how to develop footstrap technique.

As someone else posted: http://abkboardsports.com/camps/schedule

isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
isobars wrote:
That was Craig.

I fail to see how that advocates BFOnly wave sailing.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uchida wrote:
Darbonne; I assume that you sail in an area where there are a few experienced sailors. Don't be shy about asking their opinion as to your rigging technique. Through the past 30 years or so of sailing I've noticed that one of the biggest problem people have with their sailing begins on the beach with improper sail rigging. A properly rigged sail will be one of the most important parts of being able to handle all but the most extreme conditions. Ask. Most sailors I know are more than willing to give suggestions on a properly rigged kit. It makes all the difference in the world. And by the way I'm with Iso, bff!

Good point about making sure you're rigged right. But bad approach. Trust your sailmaker/designer, not some yahoo on the beach. Get the rigging guide for your sail from the pocket in the sail bag or go online. Pay attention to the make, model, and year.

Unfortunately, Gaastra has always been bad about online rigging guides. The only thing they have is a guide that says to outhaul the sail to 100% and downhaul to 100%. Nothing about tuning. 100%/100% doesn't make sense because the effective boom length changes depending on boom height.

I would contact Gaastra about your Matrix and ask them about the extent of floppiness in the leach for minimum and maximum downhaul. Also ask them about range of outhaul from neutral. Another question may be to ask them where the batten above the boom should sit relative to the mast at low wind and high wind setting.

It's always fun to ask for Kona rigging advice from people on the beach. That will show you what a bad idea it is to ask even the best sailor on the beach for advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: