myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP: Sealion XL vs Exocet 10'0 / 10'2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tabou looks nice but if i was going to mostly sail I would get a sup with a mast track. From what I have seen and heard I think the screw-in inserts struggle to hold up over time.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans wrote:
it only seem to kick where you have nice clean waves or swell. No flatwater sailing or SUPing. Paddling this board seems very awkward to me, jugging from I few video's I linked to before.

Glad I hadn't seen those videos (and haven't tried longer SUPs). I find paddling it for miles quite easy, especially on truly flat, mirror-like water. I'm eager and confident to try some 10-15-mile downriver solo paddles on the Columbia on windless (i.e., flat) days.

antonputtemans wrote:
I am convinced now that I need a longboard as I do quite a lot of SUP flatwater cruising with my GF.

If flatwater SUPing is a major factor, I agree.

antonputtemans wrote:
I would say: 40% flatwater SUP, 10% wave SUP, 50% sailing in conditions to difficult for my shortboard (125L Tabou Rocket Freeride)

Oops. I don't see how a big honkin' windSUP is going to outWS a smaller 125 L Tabou that's been blown off the water.
rangerider

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Exocet gasket has held up well. I taped down the leading edge after reading about Jim's difficulties with his - I'm guessing that takes the strain off the gasket that would rip it out. I have been tempted to take out my centerboard but since I mostly use the board in marginal conditions it comes in handy to go upwind. My first longboard (Mistral) had a centerboard that worked as though it was designed to be halfway down and I sailed it that way a bunch just because it was easier to kick it up and down from that position - not sure what good it does other than keeping weeds off the fin. On the WindSup I do full up or down only

One other thing - I have sailed it with my 9.5 and didn't enjoy it (footstraps too close to the centerline I think for that big of a sail?) but have gotten planing in surprisingly light wind with a 6.4. I think the x-type sails in the sizes you have will work really well.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans wrote:

What looks interesting on the Sealion XL model is the Powerbox aft the masttrack for a daggerfin. That way I could sail my way out of my homespot bay and than remove the fin in open water without any problems.

We have one board with a centerfin and I'm not sure it's a great idea. It works well for beginners and kids because it leaves the deck uncluttered.

However, beware of touching ground with your centerfin. The braking effect is very hard because your weight is behind the fin. Instead of moving up like a daggerboard, the center fin digs in the ground and stops you abruptly. It happened only once to me: I was sure the finbox was cracked, but it survived. I see it happening with my kids too all the time, but they are so light that I doubt it will damage the board.

When a back fin touches ground, the effect is much smoother, I guess because the back of the board is more free to pivot up? Anyway, I don't take chances anymore and keep a good margin of safety when I bring back the kids board.
antonputman

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers to mast track and daggerboard advantages!

@isobars I mean any light weather (5-20knts) where the Rocket does not take off. Most of the time mainly to get upwind out my bay in shady winds to get at open sea.

So a small longboard, with footstraps, daggerboard and mast track that performs good sailing and still paddles good in flatwater.. That doesn't leave me much options right?

What about Starboard, JP etc. Anyone sailing one of those?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My greatest concern with scraping bottom is tumbling into that bottom headfirst. It could be rocks, stumps, reef, a concrete picnic table, or submerged highway (been there, encountered those). Even clean sand threatens necks; my helmet soaked up a helluva headplant when I rammed a sandbar windsurfing. I'm getting tempted to buy a light helmet just for those prospects, as the river delta I paddle in is very shallow and has some stumps. I often run a pair of stumpy freestyle fins when paddling there just to gain some ground clearance.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans wrote:
So a small longboard, with footstraps, daggerboard and mast track that performs good sailing and still paddles good in flatwater.. That doesn't leave me much options right?

That sounds like a good plan to me.
Troulos

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in these boards, particularly the RRD Wassup boards. How do they compare to the Exocets? I'm mainly interested in a board that can plane well on light to moderate wind days, but I'd also like to be able to take it out in smaller waves from time to time.
antonputman

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troulos wrote:
I'm also interested in these boards, particularly the RRD Wassup boards. How do they compare to the Exocets? I'm mainly interested in a board that can plane well on light to moderate wind days, but I'd also like to be able to take it out in smaller waves from time to time.

My Sealion dealer said he has a friend with the RRD 10'0" and it doesn't plane at all. I have been hearing nothing but bad about RRD SUP's and I live in Italy where the brand is founded..

But what about other brands? I can't believe Exocet is about the only valuable option here...
Ideally a 5-20knts windsup should be a longboard about 11'-something with a 200-ish Liters volume. But I want more compact. about 10' @ <175L.

A while ago I send an email to Maui Ultra Fins Europe asking for a dagger fin for windSUPing.
I got a reply from Timm, he said he uses his SUP's a lot for windsurfing in light onshore conditions in Denmark and mentioned the brands JP, Naish and Starboard. btw The fin he advised was the 32 cm X-Wave

So what about Starboard? I had the chance to demo a 9'x30"Converse a while ago, it was a 2014 model in Electric Blue and had 2 front footstrap options. The board was very nice in the surf (just SUP) but too tippy for me. Starboard seems to offer the front footstrap option on all AST Electric Blue boards under 10'.

Exocet is the only one with their trademark step-tail, but is that really the holy grail?? What about a SUP with just a flatter tail to help it planing in WS mode? It looks like the Tabou SUPAWIND I showed earlier also has such a flat rocker in the tail.
See this picture from 2012, it's about the 8'10"x32" model:

Some Starboard models with mast inserts that could be actually good windsurfers:

# SURF (front footstraps)
~ 9'5"x30" Converse+: 140L 10kg
~ 9'8"x30" Element: 148L 10.5kg
~ 9'5"x32" Wide Point: 153L 10 kg

# ALL ROUND (no footstraps)
~ 10'5"x30" Drive: 156L 11kg
~ 10'5"x32" Wide Point: 178L 12kg
~ 10'0"x34" Whopper: 171L 11.5kg
~ 11'2"x30" Blend: 174L 12kg

# WINDSUP (with daggerboards)
~ 10'0"x34" WindSUP (Whopper): 191L 13.5kg
~ 11'2"x30" WindSUP (Blend): 185L 13kg

What is interesting here is that in the WINDSUP range the Whopper and Blend models seem to have an increased volume even though the length and width are the same. Apparently they make them thicker?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it have been that much extra work to provide rear footstrap inserts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: