myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bouncing through chop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StillSailin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars: Appreciate the recommends on the board and shape. Wondering if you have any recommends on sailing technique (likely just keep the flows until they fall apart) that would reduce bounce. Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
Now you see why I stressed "500 words or less" during my last posted question.

No apologies here. Anyone unwilling to read more than 500 words -- ONE FRIGGING MINUTE FOR A SLOW READER LIKE MYSELF -- to improve his life gets zero sympathy from me (and, likely, the life he deserves). You can't even imagine the massive gains throughout my entire career and personal lives that reading has provided. Don't read stuff you don't want to, but I don't understand why you seem so eager to impose your priorities on other readers, at least one of whom has asked for additional ideas. Bulletin boards are public, not private.

You don't EVEN want me to repost my chop management tips I posted years ago (and now can't find). They probably ran over a page, which would be, what, a hundred 144-character tweets?
StillSailin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars: Yes!! I'd like you to post ANY TIPS you have for managing the chop. Use as many word as you want!

Westender thanks for the suggestions--hiking out makes sense--riding the fin is likely something I usually do--by that I mean pushing hard on back foot but pulling toes up on front.

kmf suggested smaller fin and slo down. At Stevenson I needed all of the 6.5 to get going, and it was nicely powered but bouncy, at the Event site 4.2 was overpowered and I really should have taken the time to put more downhaul in. My Bad

?? One says ride the fin, the other put on smaller fin??

Hey 500 words guy, hope you will cut me a little slack! You others Thanks
westender

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say ride the fin, I mean, you are so powered up and going so fast, the board barely touches the water. Back in the day I bought a AHD from Ken the Barber that had a True Ames fin. It would FLY Over the chop like magic.

You also angle the board a little so the wind gets underneath and helps hold the board above the water. Hydroplanes and tunnel hull racing boats use the air compression underneath the hull to lift the hull above the water to eliminate drag and smooth the ride. Similar principal on a Windboard. At least for me. YMMV.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Event Site? Flows? 4.2 + 85 liters? All recipes for getting pounded in chop. Add strong current, maybe bottom changes like sandbars, crowds, gusty spring winds, modern wider boards, etc. and your dentist and orthopedic surgeon will love ya.

Pick your site. The Event Site, Celilo, Rowena, Stephenson (especially the south side in easterlies), Vantage, etc., don't cut it. I’ll NEVER understand why some locals sail only at Celilo.

Eschew flat rockers. If you need more speed out of your wave board, rig bigger, grow a pair, trust your board, sheet in, and blow by most ordinary slalomheads when it gets really bumpy. Skill, confidence in your gear and yourself, a good scalpel (something that cuts and slashes cleanly through the chopswell at high speed), horsepower, and armor allow great speeds in rough water.

Bend zee knees, weight your harness, and let the board choose its nose up/down attitude over the chop without your legs mashing down on the tail.

Move your mastfoot and fins in their slots. Experiment.

Pick your path through the chop. Learn to slash just to achieve that, rather than blindly sailing lock’n’load fashion and trying to bash the chop out of your way. We can finesse and caress most of the terrain even at high speed if we use suitable gear and skill. That's not amenable with hiking out and cruising on just the fin, however.

Less volume, shorter or non-existent flat rocker sections, narrow/thin tails (some of my board tails are too thin to accommodate a Chinook A-box), smaller fins, extra padding at least under your heels, plenty of vee, concaves, narrower midsections, willingness to slog (or jump in and wait out the worst lulls; I sit on my boards sometimes if the water’s cold) … all mitigate chop.

Soak up the chop with knee flex, or stiffen up and jump. Air is smoother than water.

Big boards (90 liters? 85?) + many Gorge conditions + significant wind + gusts + speed = rough ride. Certainly there are exceptions, but the ones I found don’t maneuver like I want at speed in chop.

Get upwind or way downwind of crowds. Sail early and late (DAMN, but I miss Dawn Patrol in the corridor. What a pleasure it was to avoid crowdchop, but it’s now very rare.)

Slow down.

Naaaah. That’s like driving a Corvette or Miata 60 mph and getting your doors blown off by a Winnebago driving to the shore on a windy day.

Or, really, slow down and work on other skills if all the above fails. I’m having fun learning how to sail in strong but holey frontal winds on my strapless, oversized, but highly maneuverable dancing pig of a windSUP. Its slower speed even when planing surely smooths out the chop despite its 30 inch width.

471 words.
westender

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this picture. The board is above the water.

windoggi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just the awesomest iso.
StillSailin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!! Good info. Am now stoked!! Nice Pic BTW. Later
johnl

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm surprised at some of the stuff I read here..

4.2 and an 85 liter board is a GOOD match (assuming you weigh between 160 and 190 pounds, beyond that I don't know). I sailed for YEARS on a Fanatic Freewave 86l board with a 4.2 sail. It was DA BOMB! Now I substitute a Realwind 80 but still match it up with a 4.2 sail. SMALLER than 4.2 and you are on your own. I would be getting on a smaller board.

The event site/Waterfront park sailing area has changed in the last 2 years. IF you remember there was once a dam on the White Salmon river (notice the bridge on the Washington side). It's gone. So all the crap on the bottom of the river came down the river and set up camp right outside the bridge. This created a sand bar (if you call it sand) in the river. Where it was once 30+' deep it is now 0 feet deep. This changed the flow of the columbia river. I have found the swell to be pretty lame below the bridge and the cross chop has increased. Now SOME of this cross chop is caused by kiters and windsurfers. If you don't believe me, try being one of the first ones out and notice how nice the water is until your "friends" come out. Then it gets chopped up. But in the Event site area, a lot of it is the new flow of the Columbia river. If you trust your skills and the wind, head upwind to Wells Island and play there. Or go up farther and sail the area between the Hatch and Wells Island. Actually forget I said that. Leave that area to me and my friends.....

Personally I had a BLAST when it was blowing hard last week (Thursday?) on an 80l Realwind and a 4.2 hucker. Hammer down and rip.

Things that can go wrong in the chop.....

1. Slowing down. This slams you into the chop. Better to hammer down and fly over the top of the chop. However some skill and comfort going that fast in chop is needed. Something to work on... Also note, I am talking about chop, not swell. Apples and oranges....

2. Sail stability. If you slam into the chop, this can cause you to "slightly depower your sail" which then powers back up hard and rip you into the next chop. Over and over. Not a fun cycle. I LOVE sails that depower instantly for playing around in freestyle, but prefer a sail with a stable draft for ripping in chop..... (hence the addition of two hucker's to my quiver).

Last edited by johnl on Thu May 29, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
I sailed for YEARS on a Fanatic Freewave 86l board with a 4.2 sail. It was DA BOMB!

I agree that that board had an exceptional ride at speed. However, I'm not on a 4.2 until it's averaging 30, long after I prefer 10-20 fewer liters for an even better ride and greater maneuverability than 85L or that board generally afford at top speeds. If ride quality filled my dance card, a smaller Fanatic FW would be one of my top contenders. Everything's a tradeoff.

As for the Event Site, a good local sailor told me that since the White Salmon dam was breached, he finds better swell in the narrow channel down between the sandbar and Bozo Beach. Of course, at 350,000 CFS that might resemble rapids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: