myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kitez Banned at Crissy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Kitez Banned at Crissy? Reply with quote

Heard a rumor besides club racing that kites are banned from Crissy. True?
Riptide

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Here is my write up and posted to the kitboarding online forums:

Crissy Field SNAFU memorial day weekend:

Saturday. Memorial day weekend.

Approximately eight people were rescued on Saturday...this happened because of there skill level and poor decision making. The most challenging conditions are when it is a flood current and the wind has a strong south component to it, making the wind off shore just off the beach.
Most rescued were not local riders, acting to much like a Labrador retriever dog(just to dam happy and not enough common sense)

MONDAY Memorial Day

I have received complaints from other beach users that some kite boarders are not being courteous and are unsafe. Reports of landing kites on top of people. Launching and landing into crowds of sun bathers etc. I gave out the safety handout to unfamiliar faces and had everyone down at the waters edge and instructed all to land there kite in the water if there was no one to help them land there kite. Absolutely the rule of the day was not to ever fly your kite over anyone's head. I went out early and hung out a while. But then the wind really picked up and apparently things fell apart on the beach. I cannot and will not be everyone's kite bitch on the beach. If I am not actually on the beach barefoot and my shoes on then I am done. On crowded days we need volunteer full time kite docents taking a shift of a couple hours at a time to keep things cool from kite boarders too in a hurry to launch/land.

Message from the San Francisco board Sailing Association Facebook page:

We hope everyone had a great holiday weekend - it sure was a windy one! Sadly, at Crissy Field we witnessed a number of kite launching and landing activities over the weekend that placed recreational beach goers in danger---folks, NO ONE should launch or land their kites in a crowded beach area. It is your responsibility to be sure you have clearance of at least 25meters downwind of your launch/landing area. All it will take is one bad incident and we risk losing access altogether. So we strongly implore all boardsporters to self-monitor as a community - we ALL have a stake in this.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cool sport and all, I personally know former windsurfers that shifted addictions. Kiting just doesn't have the weed out factor that windsurfing does. I know few windsurfers without a capable waterstart and upwind skills that would even attempt Crissy. I suppose there is something to be said about steep learning curves and the opposite.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kitez Banned at Crissy? Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
Heard a rumor besides club racing that kites are banned from Crissy. True?

Hei Bill, what seems to be happening at Crissy is that the number of Kiters has decreased significantly. The racing fleet is big, mostly going into hydrofoils, but it is there only for the races and otherwise twin tips and directional kites are down to a few.

The main reason I think are the conditions at Crissy: as Rigatoni just reported the number of rescues of Kiters at Crissy can be quite staggering. Yesterday there were no rescues but I saw two kites getting very close to need to: we float and slog, they sink and drift.

As far as behavior I am sure it is not intentional but many kiters continue to show very little awareness of non-kiters. There are so few on the water that is less of an issue, but there are issues on the beach and in the rigging area things have got worse not better. (It used to be that the Kites rigged west of the shower, separated from the windsurf area, and now they don't. Too bad because it was a vary convenient separation.)

I think people are putting their head in the sand: Kiteboarding AND Windsurfing will be banned if an accident involving a Kite happens. The solution is very easy: launching for Kiters should be limited to a section of the beach west of the river mouth. No sun bathers there, not many people strolling ... problem solved.
Riptide

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The river mouth location is constantly changing. I recommend to kite boarders to go as close to the drainage pipe as possible and at the water line. West of the drainage pipe, the beach is not big enough and a hazard with the pilling for the drainage pipe.

And crowded days I tell people to walk out onto the sand bar and launched there kite at the waters edge so the kite never is over anyone. Also when landing to dump it in the water and roll there lines. So you do not hazard the beach with land over top of people. I did this myself all weekend, my kite never was flying over the beach or people.
fearlu

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiters, kindly launch upwind of the crowds, walk a few hundred feet if you have to, save the privilege for the long-haul. Thank you for your courtesy and safe practices-- for the good of all wind-seekers and other beach users at this amazing urban beach location.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered why any accomplished kiter would choose Crissy over the Coast, unless they were racing. 3-4 hours in the waves , right on shore, or a couple hours lapping back and forth, then getting rescued.....tough choice....
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing with Crissy. The reputation of the place has kiters drooling for a shot at it. Thing is most have only been kiting a year or two and have zero knowledge of a tide chart or established safety procedures. They show up, air up, then blow up 10' from the beach.
I mean what other sport offers the prospect of being dragged over rip rap and spike studded rebar shoals or catching air only to actually catch a pedestrian unawares?

Truly the jet skis of the wind scene. Can kites once downed be water started?

[img][/img]

76d0e862.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.18 KB
 Viewed:  19610 Time(s)

76d0e862.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
That's the thing with Crissy. The reputation of the place has kiters drooling for a shot at it.

Not sure what reputaiton Wink Crissy most of the time sucks Shocked ... but I think Kiters go there for the same reason Windsurfers do: if you live in the city it is the closest location, like going to the gym. That's the way I look at it. If I want to really sail I go to TI or Coyote, for a quicky (only when it blows) at Crissy, in light days the Stick.

But going back to Kites: problem is not so much experience but that you are dead on the water if there is not enough wind, no matter how good you are it comes a point when the kite will not "water-start" ... add a current and it becomes a bit suicidal. You still see Kites at Crissy probably thanks to the Coast Guard and because you can actually sail it in many days. But you do not see them at TI, or at Coyote at the outside marks!!! They would be crazy to show up in such locations.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hijinks continue

country_fried_home_videos_38-x600.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.7 KB
 Viewed:  19490 Time(s)

country_fried_home_videos_38-x600.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: