myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kitez Banned at Crissy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
"humorous"...
"exactly"
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
Parks for all, first come first serve.

We do need signage for unfamiliar visiting kite boarders and a kiosk for the safety hand out be available.

Your post seem to confirm my impression: the Kite community refuses to self-regulate, and to the contrary some seem to act as if the location belongs to them ("first come first serve"?)

Frankly it is useless to hand out a piece of paper when the conditions for a safe interaction between kiters and other users, a dedicated launching spot as at Coyote, do not exist.

Maybe Windoggie is right and some humor is in order. Here we go for a Crissy accident rehearsal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-b5GYGAmZo
Riptide

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Riptide wrote:
Parks for all, first come first serve.

We do need signage for unfamiliar visiting kite boarders and a kiosk for the safety hand out be available.

Your post seem to confirm my impression: the Kite community refuses to self-regulate, and to the contrary some seem to act as if the location belongs to them ("first come first serve"?)

Frankly it is useless to hand out a piece of paper when the conditions for a safe interaction between kiters and other users, a dedicated launching spot as at Coyote, do not exist.

Maybe Windoggie is right and some humor is in order. Here we go for a Crissy accident rehearsal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-b5GYGAmZo

BS, "Parks for all" is part of the National Park service slogan.

And it is first come first serve when it comes to parking spots, get there earlier if you want a more advantageous parking spot.

Quit trying to read into or comprehend what you want, to confirm your pre conceived opinions.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Riptide"][quote="dvCali"]
Riptide wrote:
P
And it is first come first serve when it comes to parking spots, get there earlier if you want a more advantageous parking spot.
Nice policy Riptide: it is not about safety or having a sensible partition of the access to the beach, it is about who gets there first.
kirk

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Compromise? Reply with quote

Maybe a "parks are for everyone" answer is many large signs in every language of visitors who use the park that read:

Quote:
"WARNING: A few kiters on occasion my try to launch or land in conditions too dangerous for their ability. Since you don't know who they are, we recommend you stay 200 yards away from any kiter to avoid accidental strangulation or decapitation. Please be nice to the rest of the kiters as they are really great people."

That is the general rule-of-thumb that I follow after I missed by inches getting slammed by an out-of-control kiter at Third Ave just as I was trying to step onto my board in the light, flukey inside wind there.

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
Riptide

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dvCali"][quote="Riptide"]
dvCali wrote:
Riptide wrote:
P
Nice policy Riptide: it is not about safety or having a sensible partition of the access to the beach, it is about who gets there first.

There you go again taking something I wrote out of context and spinning it around.

When was the last time you went to a park service meeting or a SFBA meeting?

I go to all of them, I wrote the Safety hand out. I am trying to help, what have you done to further safety.

The SFBA will be holding a mandatory safety day meeting with the CG and Park service and we are asking the park service for more signage, and site steward/docents safety coordinator hats and windbreakers for the beach to be properly staffed and require all to read or be read the rules.

The SFBA will be stepping up to handle the safety issues.

Last edited by Riptide on Sat May 31, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
vinconti

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subarude, i know that picture looks scary, but that is Ka'a Point on Maui, and that kiter is actually totally safe. Those rocks are far upwind of him, and there is only water downwind and sidewind in both directions. He is going to land in 8'deep water with a 100' safety buffer around him
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up for people who are looking to pick a fight on this forum without having a clue about Crissy. Riptide has been tirelessly trying to promote safety down there for years. There are a handful of others who make an effort. Unfortunately most of the regulars seem focused on others things rather than policing the beach or backing Riptide. They have also established that it is ok to launch in the middle of the beach. Others follow their lead.

Over the years, I have tried to make an effort to police bad behavior; but in general kiters don't like a windsurfer telling them what to do. I hope that folks in charge down there don't lump us in with the kiters when something bad happens and the civilians are calling for a ban on water sports.

Regarding parking, I really don't care where people park as long as they don't take up too much space with their gear or park in the middle of the rigging area east of the bathrooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: