myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting in the straps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitek

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Getting in the straps Reply with quote

This season I've progressed from a beginner board to a short board, but on both my 112L and 86L I cannot comfortably get into the straps like I could with the beginner board. First off, adjusting the straps so I can easily slip in my size 12 feet with booties on has been difficult, they just dont seem to have enough adjustment. Then, when I do get in, I don't feel like I'm well balanced or in control... I have to lean uncomfortably. Usually I end up standing with my heels on the straps... I'm not sure if this is right, but my back foot is on the leeward side of the board.

Is my stance wrong? Am I holding the boom too far forward?
spennie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get a lot of replies to this, but first I want to point out a couple of the simplest things. I have size 13EE feet, so I spread the straps apart one extra hole: If I'm on the #2 hole in front, I use #3 in back, to make the straps wider. I'd suggest putting them as far forward and up on the board (close to centerline) as possible to start, then move as needed. Finally, being uncomfortable at first is normal, just keep doing it until it feels normal.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more info would help. Such as what model boards? And are they set with outboard or inboard strap locations. And do you have dual or a single strap in the rear?

In simple terms. If you have outboard straps, then getting in them can be fun since the water can hit your heals if you aren't careful. Your sailing stance would be more "hiked out" using outboard straps. If your straps are inboard, then you would have a "more upright" sailing stance with more weight over the board (but supported by your harness).

One of the most important concepts in getting in the straps is "the third leg". This is your boom which transmits force down through the mast onto the board via the mastfoot. Giving you a "third leg". So before you attempt to move one make sure you are putting your weight down onto the boom. That way you still have "two legs" in contact with the board. Also make sure you are not heading up into the wind when doing this. You should be off on a broad reach, or at least a beam reach.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ... spread 'em out more (I'm just 5'9", but have had to add new inserts on some boards to accommodate my bare 13s), get more TOW (I'd say that 86L board is a bit premature, but you'll get there if your windy season is long and strong), and, yes, your stance is wrong for straps (i.e., it might be fine for the conditions, but maybe the conditions are not there for strapping in). We don't just "strap in and go sailing"; we either get planing and then slip into the straps or we know we CAN plane at that moment and use advanced skills to use the straps to start planing. I.e., it's planing first, then straps, especially at your level. If it's any consolation, although I was into planing winds from the first day I ever saw a WSer and I sailed a lot, my first board under 90L came MANY years -- probably a decade -- later.
fitek

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boards are a Mistral Custom 260 and a Bic Techno.

Not much in the way of adjustment available for the straps. Just forwards and backwards.

I'm actually finding the small board easier to use right now since it doesn't bounce around so much in the chop. It's much easier to stay in control. Assuming there is decent wind anyway, which there seems to be most days at the moment.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the straps. I just remember using them fairly often with the beginner board and now I never use them. Half the time I fall off a plane wrestling to get into them.

WP_20140530_002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.96 KB
 Viewed:  13339 Time(s)

WP_20140530_002.jpg

WP_20140530_003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.81 KB

WP_20140530_003.jpg

WP_20140530_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  287.25 KB

WP_20140530_001.jpg

rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To widen the front straps, remove the screw for each strap closest to the center line of the board and move it back a hole or two. Leave the strap screw near the outside edge of the board where it is and this should widen your straps some. For the backstraps, move the front or back screw forward or back one hole.

As others have said - get up to planing speed first and gracefully step back into your straps. Some like to put their feet into the front straps first and cruise a little bit before putting the back foot in. The idea is to keep the board steady while stepping back without making abrupt movements that could slow your speed. All this comes with practice so keep at it!

Rob
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fitek wrote:
Ok, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the straps. I just remember using them fairly often with the beginner board and now I never use them. Half the time I fall off a plane wrestling to get into them.

Then, frankly, you are not anywhere near ready for an 86L board on an average windy day in the Gorge (your other current thread, in the NW section).
QueNeo

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLmZSg8vUM
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people claim they can use their straps both bare or with booties.

I have yet to find how. The Dakine adjustable I have bought are well padded. The padding closes the open area and stick to the booties. I'm unable to get my foot in. No problem bare foot.

So I stick with race straps. They are less padded and work better. The little adjustment requires to remove the screws however.
quigley

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Mistral Custom board you may want to try just one strap in the center in back. More of a control position, with your back foot near the center line of the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: