myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any windsurfing in Ventura County, CA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Any windsurfing in Ventura County, CA? Reply with quote

I recently moved to Ventura County, CA, and I'm trying to find out where people go to windsurf around here. I read on these forums that people sometimes windsurf at C Street in Ventura. I've been down there the past several weekends and I saw plenty of kiters, but no windsurfers. Does anyone actually still windsurf here?
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian;

People do windsurf at C-street but it seems most go to County Line and Leo Carrillo. Both on PCH about 15 miles south of Ventura. Take the 101 south and exit Rice Ave. Stay on Rice until it merges onto PCH. When you get to Neptunes Net, that's County Line. About a mile further down the road is Leo Carrillo.

JP
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JP! I'll try to check out County Line and Leo Carrillo in the next few weekends.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Street has an annoying tendency to level off at 13-14 mph wind a lot, that's why it's mostly kiters. When it does crank up (clearing winds, mostly) it's a great place to sail, a total 3-D playground. JPbassking has it right, Leo Carrillo is your best bet, although it's a bit early in the season for it. The parking sucks, the rigging is in sand or a filthy deck, the go-out is rocks.....but once you're out it's one of the most wonderful places to sail I've been to! Crisp clear water, nice big starboard ramps, wavesailing on the inside, mmmmmm!! Locals are very friendly, just don't be a dick on the waves.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie is right about the parking. You can pay 6 bucks to park inside the State park or do what most people do and park on PCH and risk your life carrying your gear down to the beach as people fly by at 60mph +. He's also right about not being a "dick" on the waves...we've got enough of those already...hahahahahaaa!!!

not to name names or anything.. Surprised
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Spennie and JP!

A bit about me... I moved here from inland upstate New York. Think of short sailing seasons with light wind. My go-to kit is a big longboard with a 7.0 m sail. My skills are kind of intermediate level. I can plane and waterstart fairly consistently (on my longboard) but I can't gybe. I've never sailed in ocean waves. I'm very used to launches with difficult access, rocks, bricks, wind shadows, weeds, etc. It will be interesting to see how Leo Carrillo works for me.

Thanks again!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're not comfortable in the waves you also have some other options: Lopez Lake in Arroyo Grande, Lake Isabella near Bakersfield, Cabrillo Beach (inside harbor if there are waves) in San Pedro. They are more of a drive, but are options if you're willing to drive. Or you can always take a weekend trip up to SF Bay!

http://secoswinds.com (Leo Carillo)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/24111546410/ (Cabrillo Beach)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/294638607227135/ (Lake Isabella)
https://vimeo.com/77666233 (video of SF Bay Area)

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good pointers from Kevin as well although I will point out that the water level at Lake Lopez is reported to be very low right now.

Unless there is a lot of wind swell or a giant south swell the launch at Leo is fairly easy to an intermediate such as your self. Just walk down wind a bit and launch to the leeward side of the kelp bed, which reminds me, you'll need a weed fin and booties. The rocks have sharp thingies on them.

County Line often times has week wind on the inside coupled with a somewhat merciless shore pound making entry much more challenging.

Your big board and 7.0 will work some days on other days you'll need much smaller gear. The locals are always buying new stuff and selling their old stuff at bargain prices. Most days people there ride 85-95l boards with 5.2/5.7 sails.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, are you in for some treats! Our sailing season goes from May - September, with occasional stray days in-between. You'll only need a fullsuit till the beginning of May, then a shorty will do the rest of the time---or trunks! 6 hours north is the California Delta (see Sherman Marker 10 today!!!) one of my all-time favorite places to sail, with bathtub warm fresh water and giant starboard ramps (once you get a little better). Only downside is there's no longboard scene at all.

Where in V.C. are you? I live in Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks. You can reach me directly at: windjunkie at windjunkie dot net

johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much JP, Kevin and Spennie for all the great tips, and Kevin for the links. Very helpful! Spennie, I just sent you an email. Looking forward to checking out Leo Carrillo sometime soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: