myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay looking for a used board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark but I am looking for something with a little more float than my current 85ltr which I do like. I just feel like I could use something a little floatier for daily driving. Everything that I have been hearing about the newer generation boards is that you can get by with larger board. I tend to sail smaller board bigger sails than the average. When living in the keys I did not have the 85 so it was either the 102FSW or 74wave. Here I sail the 85 more often than not. The 74 gets used up at Tomales quite a bit. I am all in to having lots of boards in the quiver but I really cant fit more than three in truck and still have room for work stuff. So if I could bring that down to two boards, the 74 and something 90ish, just leave the 6.4 and 7.5 at home that would work for here locally. Then just bring the bigger gear when needed.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and demo a Tabou 106 3s. Super fun board. Quick to get going, very smooth and turns really good. Hard to find used cause people keep them....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for 96 3s
89Spring

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I picked up a 2013 Quatro LS Thruster aka 2014 Sphere, 102 ltr. A little bit more dinged up than I was hoping for but oh well. I have only three sessions on this board with mixed feelings. The previous owner is quite a bit taller than me and had the straps all the way apart fore and aft. The first session I sailed at Larkspur with out changing anything, stock fins and mast center of track. I was pretty chicken winged with the strap location and felt like a dumbass not matching things up to my other boards.

First impression, dam this thing turns on a dime

Second session, Berkeley. Got things matched up as close as I could to the 85 in regards to footstrap and mast base location. Fit the straps a bit better. Stock fins. Had a bitching session and a whole lot of fun on the new ride. Not the quickest to get up and go, but carries speed through the turn and into the next. Comfortable to jump. I was linking more turns than the 85 while staying on the plane. When pushing hard upwind I was spinning out frequently, tiny little 180 center fin. Smallest fin I have ever sailed prior is a 22. Basically had a really good session and felt like on the right track. Comfortable 5.9 day.

Third session, Larkspur just a few days ago. Swapped the stock side fins for the asymmetric toe in K-4 plastic fins, left the center stock MFC 180. Not so good. Really struggled with the gybes and spinning out constantly. The asym fins create tons of lift, straight line sailing instead of loading the center fin i loaded the leeward thruster and that little fin would lift massively and the board would take off. hard to stay balanced in that mode. The gybes I felt really off balance, I am used to kind of pushing and leaning forward and into the turn. This did not work. I had to stay upright and over the tail of the board . I move the mast butt further aft also during this session and it helped. Not too sure if I like the aysm toe in fins. Over all kind of frustrating session, aside from the ferry wave.

So next session going to try a 22 center and the stock thrusters. With the butt as far aft as it can go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: