myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windmills at Sherman
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
spennie



Joined: 13 Oct 1995
Posts: 822
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Windmills at Sherman Reply with quote

There was a discussion a while ago about the windmills upwind of the Sign, and if they were reducing the wind. I don't think there's any doubt of that any more, but I saw this image, posted by Da News on Facebook, showing their turbulance trails, and thought it was interesting. I don't know where this photo was taken, looks like one of those ocean wind farms to me.


Windmills.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.56 KB
 Viewed:  3638 Time(s)

Windmills.jpg



_________________
Spennie the Wind Junkie
www.WindJunkie.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
superkraut



Joined: 18 Mar 2001
Posts: 201

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was the first commercial wind farm, Horns Rev 1 in the North Sea off the Danish coast. Interesting essay about this particular fog event here http://www.dewi.de/dewi/fileadmin/pdf/publications/Magazin_37/07.pdf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
windfind



Joined: 18 Mar 1997
Posts: 792

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I am slowly working on a blog about turbines and Sherman Island winds. There is no easy answer to the question but the amount of downwind impact of turbines depends upon the wind direction, wind speed and the stability of the near surface atmosphere.

Plus in the last 20 years the average marine layer depth has decreased a lot which impacts the wind distribution and strength.

All of which makes it difficult to make a simple judgement about the impact turbines on the winds near the Sign.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vbr1



Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Gang,

I am slowly working on a blog about turbines and Sherman Island winds. There is no easy answer to the question but the amount of downwind impact of turbines depends upon the wind direction, wind speed and the stability of the near surface atmosphere.

Plus in the last 20 years the average marine layer depth has decreased a lot which impacts the wind distribution and strength.

All of which makes it difficult to make a simple judgement about the impact turbines on the winds near the Sign.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com


Especially if you spend ZERO time there
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
windfind



Joined: 18 Mar 1997
Posts: 792

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vbr,

You said: "Especially if you spend ZERO time there"

Actually I windsurfed at Sherman Island for 20+ years making the drive along Hwy. 37 or 12 for endless morning sessions or camping at Little Baja or the Access in my camper.

And before Sherman Island was even "discovered" by windsurfers I sailed Rio's Glass Beach, The Jungle and Glass Beach. Those were back in the days when the best shop in the Bay Area was at the foot of the Rio Vista bridge.

And of course I wrote the definitive and popular "Windfinder windsurfing Guide to the Bay Area" which you can still buy on Amazon.com and which covered Sherman Island with multiple maps and text detail. I spent hundreds of hours hiking and boating in the Sherman area doing the maps and text for that book.

And I did the Sherman Island forecasts for companies like the North Coast Windline, WindSight (shudder), Call of the Wind and now iwindsurf.com & ikitesurf.com

Oh yea, did I mention that I am currently employed by a little company called Google to do forecasts for a wind project on Sherman Island?

And I am one of the people who has taken a boat out in mid winter at Sherman Island to fix the sensors on the Nav. Aids for you and other sailors.

And even now several times each year I hit Sherman when there is a good chance of Rio Daze.

I love the creative math that allows you to define all that experience as "Zero"!

Now tell me about your long time experience as a Sherman Island expert. Oh, sorry I just noticed you signed up for iwindsurf.com way back in March 2013.

But I always have more to learn so send me your insights about the wind turbines. mike@iwindsurf.com

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MULLDE102f



Joined: 15 Jun 1997
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BURN!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aguasonic



Joined: 18 Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Location: Sherman Island, California

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wind is less than 25, and anything north of West, anything east of The Sign is hosed. Powerlines North? Forget it. Edgewater? toast. There is _definitely_ an effect, and a significant one. And one that could have been avoided if they had skipped that last southern-most row next to the river.

I would add the caveat that if it's on, the effect gets less and less meaningful as you head above 20 knots steady... if you get to 30, what windmills?

In summary the windmills effectively wipe out any light-wind opportunities east of The Sign.

Mark
~~~~
ps. On a north breeze the pylon-thump, as it is known, will drive you nuts. Nice sub-sonic Chinese water torture...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vbr1



Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Vbr,

You said: "Especially if you spend ZERO time there"

Actually I windsurfed at Sherman Island for 20+ years making the drive along Hwy. 37 or 12 for endless morning sessions or camping at Little Baja or the Access in my camper.

And before Sherman Island was even "discovered" by windsurfers I sailed Rio's Glass Beach, The Jungle and Glass Beach. Those were back in the days when the best shop in the Bay Area was at the foot of the Rio Vista bridge.

And of course I wrote the definitive and popular "Windfinder windsurfing Guide to the Bay Area" which you can still buy on Amazon.com and which covered Sherman Island with multiple maps and text detail. I spent hundreds of hours hiking and boating in the Sherman area doing the maps and text for that book.

And I did the Sherman Island forecasts for companies like the North Coast Windline, WindSight (shudder), Call of the Wind and now iwindsurf.com & ikitesurf.com

Oh yea, did I mention that I am currently employed by a little company called Google to do forecasts for a wind project on Sherman Island?

And I am one of the people who has taken a boat out in mid winter at Sherman Island to fix the sensors on the Nav. Aids for you and other sailors.

And even now several times each year I hit Sherman when there is a good chance of Rio Daze.

I love the creative math that allows you to define all that experience as "Zero"!

Now tell me about your long time experience as a Sherman Island expert. Oh, sorry I just noticed you signed up for iwindsurf.com way back in March 2013.

But I always have more to learn so send me your insights about the wind turbines. mike@iwindsurf.com

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com


funny to hit that nerve there

chill out on your patting of yourself on your back
you are not always right but you do provide a great service for weather
at least someone with a clue is trying
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
noshuzbluz



Joined: 18 May 2000
Posts: 774

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your hard work Mike! I'm curious to see what you find out about the windmills. I sailed Windy Cove for as long as it was open and noticed that it's not as windy there than it used to be. Same with the Powerlines (both upper and lower) which was back in the old days a zoo on the weekends.
Don't get why vbr1 took a jab at you when he obviously doesn't know your past experience??

_________________
The Time a Person Spends Windsurfing is not Deducted from their Lifespan...
http://www.openocean.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
windfind



Joined: 18 Mar 1997
Posts: 792

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Fucking Godsey Reply with quote

Quote:
Vbr said: funny to hit that nerve there. chill out on your patting of yourself on your back you are not always right but you do provide a great service for weather at least someone with a clue is trying


Hi Vbr,

No, you did not hit a nerve. You were factually wrong and I corrected you with facts. I would not be doing this job if my nerves were so fragile.

Actually I really enjoy customer criticism, that is how I learn and sloooowly improve the forecasts. And sometimes even factually wrong comments, unlike yours, can be funny.

Like the time I was at Swell City and spotted a California license plate. I always head towards California vehicles to solicit criticisms of the forecasts. So I walk up to this California dude in his mid 30’s standing with a bunch of the local crew and introduce myself as Mike Godsey

And with an utterly straight face he says “Mike Godsey, Mike Godsey… Do you mean your first name is actually Mike?"

Puzzled I said “Yea, its Mike.”

And he says, “But I have always heard guys refer to you as 'Fucking Godsey' so I just assumed that Fucking was a weird nick name you used. So I usually refer to you as Fucking Godsey."

You had to be there to appreciate the story but it was was my best customer comment ever!

And here is the 2nd best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOY1VBfO-aU

And thanks for the nice compliment even if you can't apologize.

Mike Godsey



ZZ53C507F7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.76 KB
 Viewed:  3137 Time(s)

ZZ53C507F7.jpg


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group