myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windmills at Sherman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry guys, when I win the lottery I'm going to move all the turbines west of Powerlines to the east so we can have our wind back. An alternative would be build a giant battery close by, have the turbines feed it electricity all night, then use the power to make them fans during the day. It's just a matter of wiring, right? A computer will detect when the wind at Powerlines drops below 20, and turn on the fans!

Genius, I know, it's a gift.

nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear this debate about how the wind was stronger back when............... yaadee-yaadaa, about most locations that I've been to, Rio Vista included. Most of us, in my general group, have come to the conclusion that back when we thought it was windier, pick a year, the sails weren't as efficient and rangy (in both directions) as they are now, ie. it takes us longer to get overpowered now days, as the sails improve, making it easier.
And then there were the boards that spun out easier, harder to get onto a plane, the masts that broke easier, and the harness lines that used to break way more often.
It wasn't windier, it was just harder.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree very strongly with NW30, sails are better now, true, but I remember being on 4.5 regularly, at 210 lbs. I don't know what's causing it, or if it's a natural pattern, but believe it's definitely less windy. Maybe somebody less lazy than me could check the iWindsurf archives.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try this out here first: Honey, the wind is less now so I need to go windsurfing more and take more trips to make up for the obvious wind loss. Oh, and I'll need a couple of new boards and sails too.
jroberts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Disagree very strongly with NW30, sails are better now, true, but I remember being on 4.5 regularly, at 210 lbs. I don't know what's causing it, or if it's a natural pattern, but believe it's definitely less windy. Maybe somebody less lazy than me could check the iWindsurf archives.

The wind is the same except it blows more on Monday than Saturday.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Let me try this out here first: Honey, the wind is less now so I need to go windsurfing more and take more trips to make up for the obvious wind loss. Oh, and I'll need a couple of new boards and sails too.

Smooth, that should work! Let us know how it works out.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having sailed there pre-windmill days I was wondering how much of the really good wind I may have missed then at around 6:00 in the evening on my last trip the wind really started to crank and I thought windmills? What windmills???
johnnyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly we all need to get offline, shut down the computers and get in the water! : )
Jorionw96

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed power lines today from 4:30 till 6:00. 220# on 4.2 and 93 l. Wind was in word..turbulent, swell sucked, pure tight spaced chop. Like skiing mogels. This was my go to spot from 2000 till 2008 but since then I've only sailed there a handful of times. It used to have clean spaced out swell, best on the river especially at the end of ebb. Packed up and went to county park and rerigged same gear. Much steadier wind and way better swell. Windmills have destroyed sailing at Pl and to a lesser extent the sign. No doubt in my mind. I now am resigned to a lifetime of county chop sailing. Good thing I'm trying to learn freestyle I guess. No amount of scientific reasoning will ever change my mind about those wind mills.
jroberts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorionw96 wrote:
Sailed power lines today from 4:30 till 6:00. 220# on 4.2 and 93 l. Wind was in word..turbulent, swell sucked, pure tight spaced chop. Like skiing mogels. This was my go to spot from 2000 till 2008 but since then I've only sailed there a handful of times. It used to have clean spaced out swell, best on the river especially at the end of ebb. Packed up and went to county park and rerigged same gear. Much steadier wind and way better swell. Windmills have destroyed sailing at Pl and to a lesser extent the sign. No doubt in my mind. I now am resigned to a lifetime of county chop sailing. Good thing I'm trying to learn freestyle I guess. No amount of scientific reasoning will ever change my mind about those wind mills.

Nice job dismissing science. Anyway, I remember in 1994-1999 really crappy swell was the norm at the powerlines, so we moved to the sign, but the wind was always poor there. Then the sandbar moved and the dredges changed the river bottom and the good swell moved again. But Little Baja always had the best of both, swell and wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: