myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windmills at Sherman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godsey said:
Quote:
It would be great to get the subjective perspectives of long time Delta residents

Thanks for the info. beallmd. I tried to remember about double-blind protocol etc. when I was doing research and teaching college classes covering experimental and quasi-experimental design. But here on the forums we are just chatting about wind turbines and wind not doing a controlled scientific experiment for a peer reviewed journal.

And the subjective impression of people like duckjib3 who have had decades of daily experience with a phenomenon is sometimes a useful way of generating a rough hypothesis.

The more people who give us subjective impressions the more ideas we have to possibly suggest to grad students to explore empirically regarding wind. Right now we have a grad student thinking about studying the Catalina Eddy and pollution in Southern California using our and other archives. And that type of research indirectly helps us with our forecasts for windsurfers, federal agencies and companies who need wind info. http://www.weatherflow.com/about-us/clients-and-partners/

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Sam Kinison told Rodney Dangerfield in one of my favorite movies; Back to School, "Good answer." So you're doing a survey. I'm sure Back to School is required watching for students and professors as it should be.
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause and affect.

Climate change caused by the perpetual burning of oil and creating green house gases has lead to putting up windmills.
Deductive reasoning leads me to believe that climate change has affected Bay winds and M14 winds not the windmills.
Deductive reasoning does not lead me to believe that windmills which are on the lee side of the "usable" wind has had much affect on Bay winds or M-14.

Those that discount global climate change may "feel" differently. But just like with other climate change discounters there is sufficient science to lead me to conclude that changes in wind patterns come first, not windmills in the lee.

The exception is the NW to N winds that are windward of the windmills may affect M14 but those winds are for most purposes useless for sailing, with or without windmills. At least until you get up to Glass Beach to sail the Northerlies.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

effect, not affect
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave: The windmills are UPWIND of Marker 14 in the prevailing winds (WNW), not in the lee!
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie,

Re-read what I said.

I stated that the windmills are windward of the W - NW winds.
The windmills are in the lee on the SW - W (The usable wind). They are windward to anything northerly (the less usable wind)
M14 works best when there is a W to SW component. The windmills are in the lee.
Keep in mind that the river, rather the sailor on the river, is the point of reference that the lee and windward refers to, not the windmills.

Wind direction is what Effects M-14 not the windmills. At least not the good winds.
And actually prevailing winds at Sherman, when it is good, follow the river making them more WSW. The WNW component we have seen for a couple of seasons is exactly what I have been describing as the M-14 problem instead of the windmills.

BY the way this is also why you do not see many kiters down at Powerlines. From the County Park they can get to the W to NW winds easily and they do not like the W - SW winds becuase they are (1) offshore and (2) a bit less steady.

Last edited by airwave on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitevan01,

Windsurfing is a highly technical sport.
So, sorry for the bad grammar. My mom was a teacher. Please don't tell her.

I know the affects it has.
uummm was that correct?
bonner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airwave:
So according to you and all your data, experience, and credentials, the reason that marker 14, Power Lines and The Sign, have less wind is because of Global Warming....oh sorry "Climate Change". Really, Seriously?

The fact that a huge wall of giant ugly wind turbines are now up wind of those launches has absolutely no effect at all, really? Thanks for straightening me out. I feel much better now.
tstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind Generators take energy from the wind and covert it to electricity. There can be no question that they have an effect on the wind at spots like the Power Lines. How big of an effect can they have? Here is an interesting article;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/26/offshore-wind-farms-tame-hurricanes/5813425/
jroberts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstar wrote:
Wind Generators take energy from the wind and covert it to electricity. There can be no question that they have an effect on the wind at spots like the Power Lines. How big of an effect can they have? Here is an interesting article;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/26/offshore-wind-farms-tame-hurricanes/5813425/

This group will enjoy the Onion article on windmills:

http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-coal-lobby-warns-wind-farms-may-blow-e,20876/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: