myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windmills at Sherman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Burn that coal, feed that grid, reverse those turbines and Power Lines becomes the most reliable windsurfing spot in the world. Plus--the earth doesn't get flung into the sun. Not right away, anyhow.
tstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we start turning off those propellers. It's just that there is a negative aspect to wind power. Both to wildlife and we windsurfers. However I will take them over fossil fuel any day. I can always rig big Very Happy
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bonner,

I do not presume to know if it is about Global climate change. It might very well be local micro climate change. I'm just saying that the amount of days that we see W to NW at M-10 and M-14 seems to have increased and the amount of days that we see W - SW have decreased. And that the W - SW days favor M-14 and the W- NW days favor M-10.

It might very well be climate change. But it might also be a two year prelude to whatever causes El Nino's and La Nina's. It could also be micro changes caused by the same frontal changes that caused all of the east coast snow this year, perhaps the same prevailing wind changes that have brought about sea ice melting in the Arctic.

It might even be that the windmills have diminished the NW winds at M-14. But those winds were never that good anyway.

But for certain the SW winds we have seen this year have provide good sailable winds east of the County Park and down to M-14.

I guess in simple terms I am saying it would be sensible to have this conversation based 1st on the wind speeds west of Sherman (compared over time), 2nd on the direction of those winds. And then 3rd you can make a reasonable deduction about the affect (effect) (sorry) of the windmills.

But you can't just decide it's the windmills fault when all the other details are left out of the equation.
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bonner,

I get it now.
To you this is some sort of political discussion, not worthy of deductive rational, just something based on a belief system about global warming.
Something the politicians need to decide, or at least the public voicing their political views, instead of looking for all of the data that might be at play.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave wrote:

But for certain the SW winds we have seen this year have provide good sailable winds east of the County Park and down to M-14.
I guess in simple terms I am saying it would be sensible to have this conversation based 1st on the wind speeds west of Sherman (compared over time), 2nd on the direction of those winds. And then 3rd you can make a reasonable deduction about the affect (effect) (sorry) of the windmills.

Agreed, the SW seems better this year than last. Tough to compare historic wind speeds west of Sherman, though, now that M10 sensor has replaced M12. Port Chicago? A bit too far west maybe?
airwave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dennis_c
I agree, good info west of Sherman is not available, at least not on iW.

As you probably know at fair number of Sherman sailors use the info for Davis (Travis) as an indicator. That area seems to show more of the prevailing wind condition instead of the ventured flow that tends to meander through with the direction of the river. That might be a starting point that would be better than Port Chicago because Port Chicago is part of the venture effect.

Admittedly I have never figured out how to use Davis or the Sacramento conditions to help determine Sherman but there are those that live out east that do.

This morning looks good for M-14. There is a S component to it. But in looking at the forecast it appears there will be a redirect to the W. I'm betting the afternoon will favor M-10. M-14 might work if the W does not clock beyond to a WNW component. But if it does clock farther N everyone will need to beat a path up to the County Park.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are varied wind directions like airwave and others have noted that affect Sherman Island, there is always the fact that wind tends to clock during the day moving in a more west to northwest direction. This happens at all spots during the day, including those on the coast. So, towards the end of the day at a place like Sherman Island, the wind around Powerlines and The Sign can get sketchy, and these days the presence of wind turbines only seems to exacerbate the problem.
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that onion video is great! like!
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWC points out the clocking effect but I would have thought it clocks the other way; that is the wind starts at Park/Access and clocks more SW so that the sign and then powerlines start later. I always see it going that way but there are guys with more experience there than me. There have been times in the past when folks at the sign have come up to Access/Park to sail when not good downwind. Maybe the new turbines now so much closer to the Access/Park have just made us aware of the NW in the wind?
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Onion piece was funny-always good (and healthy) to laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: