myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half, again!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Board getting ready to break in half, again! Reply with quote

Perhaps you may recall the drama of my 11'8" Windsup that cracked in half.
Well this is probably going to get me an ear full of private messages from Jingbritsen but so be it.
Exocet did come thru for me eventually and refunded all my money, the local board repair guy was able to put it back together with a couple of stringers for $200, the already heavy board became heavier but I love this board, it's so easy to sail.
So about a year or so later now after riding it a few dozen times perhaps I've noticed it's doing the same thing again, only about one foot in front of where it cracked in half before, GRRRR.
Probably right in front of the stringers that were put in.
I'm not sure if it's worth fixing if it's gonna do this again somewhere else and get even heavier. It was ridden pretty fast in the foot straps but in flat water with a big sail and fin and apparently it can't take the slapping. I think this board is a lemon, a dud, defective. Should I get it put back together, again?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask (if it's not obvious) whether the shop fixed it with several new layers of cloth all ending in a common straight line (the new fracture line) rather than feathered to spread the load. If so, there's probably no point in having them repair it again because it implies they don't know what they're doing.

If they fixed it right and it still broke again, there's probably no point in having them fix it again because it implies Exocet didn't know what they were doing.

Or if the board was THAT great, you COULD keep paying $200 a pop to fix it until it gets too heavy. Or you could switch board brands or repair shops.

I've "chased failures" on two boards. One was a local custom board under warranty so the repairs were free and made by the guys who built the board. Both they and I gave up on it after it became obvious they couldn't build a board that would stay together for two sessions. I virtually gave it away to a lightweight, less aggressive sailor. Maybe that's where you are now.

The other was a high-end custom well used by a wild and crazy looper. I had a premier Gorge repair guy try localized, piecemeal repairs of broken spots, to no avail. We finally had to rebuild the board to make it sound again, costing dollars, weight, and graphics. I now have more in repairs than I can sell the board for, and probably should just ride it into the ground. Maybe that's where you are now.

That, or sell it and move on. That's another option for you or me.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new crack is about one foot in front of the old crack, just in front of the feathered area where the repair ended.
From the new paint and finish it looks like the repair area is about two feet long, one foot on either side of the old crack.
pete1111

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Board getting ready to break in half, again! Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Perhaps you may recall the drama of my 11'8" Windsup that cracked in half.
Well this is probably going to get me an ear full of private messages from Jingbritsen but so be it.
Exocet did come thru for me eventually and refunded all my money, the local board repair guy was able to put it back together with a couple of stringers for $200, the already heavy board became heavier but I love this board, it's so easy to sail.
So about a year or so later now after riding it a few dozen times perhaps I've noticed it's doing the same thing again, only about one foot in front of where it cracked in half before, GRRRR.
Probably right in front of the stringers that were put in.
I'm not sure if it's worth fixing if it's gonna do this again somewhere else and get even heavier. It was ridden pretty fast in the foot straps but in flat water with a big sail and fin and apparently it can't take the slapping. I think this board is a lemon, a dud, defective. Should I get it put back together, again?

Mmmmmmm....
you're complaining about a free defective board breaking again.
My guess the layup on the board was bad so unless you strip it down and reglass the whole board it will keep breaking in some key spots.
Adding stringers in the area it broke doesn't work and never will. If the stringer doesn't go all the way though the board and connect with the bottom laminate it will act like a hinge where they end and won't let the board flex properly and then in your case just crack where they stopped.
Just my opinion and buy a new board. Wink
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really long boards for windsurfing are inherently weaker just due to their length, the vibrations from the surface of the water are magnified. Simple physics.
I'd say get a different wind/SUP that is shorter and wider, you could get close to the same flotation but with improved maneuverability and strength.
QueNeo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They refunded all your money, and you're still riding it?

Did I get that right?

So, what's the problem?
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that by refunding your money Exocet implied
that the board was indeed defective. They agreed with you.
I don't think it's fair to complain about the board anymore, Exocet took care of you!
What more could you ask for?

The repair was your choice, it's totally unfair to drag Exocet into this again.
I agree with you one one thing however: It is a great board.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QueNeo wrote:
They refunded all your money, and you're still riding it?

Did I get that right?

So, what's the problem?

They refunded me my money and I had it put back together for $200, the "problem" is what to do now, junk it or repair again?
That's the "problem".
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
I think that by refunding your money Exocet implied
that the board was indeed defective. They agreed with you.
I don't think it's fair to complain about the board anymore, Exocet took care of you!
What more could you ask for?

The repair was your choice, it's totally unfair to drag Exocet into this again.
I agree with you one one thing however: It is a great board.

Nobody is dragging Exocet back into this again, as I said, Exocet took care of me, I also said I love this board and it's so easy to sail. I use Exocet in the description of the board (it must be described in some manner) and have much good will towards their company, their products and their owner (as previously stated in the original thread)
I am not complaining! I am just wondering if the board should be repaired again or junked.
Seriously, Everyone on this forum, before you post a response go back to the OP and read it again, I think by the time people have read all the responses to a post they have forgotten what the OP was about. Idea
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Pete said about the stringer needing to go all the way thru has a lot of merit. Well for now it's back to the Starboard 198L free formula, no more gliding, it's either planing or schlogging no in between.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: