myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half, again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how could you repair/improve it, since it's a defacto $200 board?

extract the dagger slot gasket fill in the cavity with PVC foam

mow 2 inches off the top

redo the rails to match existing deck rails

resurface it with carbon al around.

costs? dunno

let's see, you open a new thread to further damage the reputation of one of the few brands that has the GUTS to offer planing long boards. that's long term thinking ain't it? could you have gathered ideas without smearing the brand all over again? maybe with a few pm's to knowledgeable folks?

BTW stringers that are not really long and have matching bend characteristics always lead to this problem.

mr fink ever full of hate and shortsighted thinking as one would expect? to what end? he is not popular, let alone relevant? sure wish there was some way to block him. cobra talks the brands into choices of structural designs. ultimately, their reputation ought to be reviewed? if mr. fink were to post ever more about crap he knows nothing about, could he achieve an even lousier social status?

sure wish we would all ask our brands to dump cobra.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I use Exocet in the description of the board (it must be described in some manner) and have much good will towards their company, their products and their owner (as previously stated in the original thread)

I am not complaining! I am just wondering if the board should be repaired again or junked.

Seriously, Everyone on this forum, before you post a response go back to the OP and read it again, I think by the time people have read all the responses to a post they have forgotten what the OP was about. Idea

I think the title of your thread is somewhat misleading. It sounds like a complaint and put the reader in that mood. I also think it was a good idea to mention the board model, but could have used a little more wrapping...
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that escalated quickly....
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to you initial question.

Your longboard is designed to flex. It's a compromise between weight, cost and stiffness. Repairing an area will make it stiff, (very stiff if you add stringers) This concentrate the bending at the edge between the repaired and unrepaired zones and will lead to breakage.

My local repairman spends a lot of time explaining and maybe thinking about how he will feather even uncritical repairs to avoid sharp transitions on short boards. A longboard is quite critical in this respect. Since it wasn't explained to you, I suspect that it was not taken into account and that you had a bad repair.

I'm not a repairman myself, but I'm quite uncertain it can be done. The stringers themselves need to be feathered. It's a big repair for sure.

You still have the money to buy a new board. If you are uncertain about the WindSUP, you could go with a Kona One. I would guess they are more solid since they are thicker.

I personnally like to get things repaired. I don't always save money but it provides local jobs. In this case, since it failed once, I would get it repaired for SUP use only, and I would get new board with the refund Exo provided you.
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junk it.

right to the dumpster.

nothing wrong with exo's... i've got two pushing 10 years.

I don't mind playing with foam and resin, but the board is toast

Seriously, by the time you get done with all the rework....wouldn't you just rather have fun?

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not expend a lot on repairs and just ride this board into the ground. You might do some surface laminations to get a bit more life out of the board, but it's likely that any repair isn't going to cure the problem.

The biggest inherent problem that you have is your size and weight. From my experience, guys like yourself pay a much bigger price in equipment failure, especially with respect to boards and booms. While the problem could be rooted in the structural design or production manufacturing, it must be remembered that products are being tailored for the 175 lb. sailor. By being way above that target, you often pay the price.

To overcome your problem, you might want to consider having a guy like Mark Nelson build you a custom WindSUP board based on the Exocet. To make things a bit simpler, you might eliminate the daggerboard feature. That way the extra re-enforcement build in to handle your weight won't ultimately leave you with a board that is too heavy. Undoubtedly, a Nelson built board would cost you an arm and a leg, but it's likely that it will last a long time. When you think about it, an expensive custom longboard could actually save you money over the long haul. If the Nelson lasts 10 years, and regular production boards last only 1-3 years, the custom direction would be better overall.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
mr fink ever full of hate and shortsighted thinking as one would expect? to what end?

Huh? You don't think repeated failures, despite the proper repairs I stipulated, of a product being used as intended implicate the manufacturer? Gee, do we detect some bias here? Why are lemon laws so widespread and powerful even in the industry that so strongly influences legislation?

You're not alone, beaglebuddy, in the PMs. Jinglebritches likes to hide much of his personal vitriol.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay someone else to repair it again, but I would spend $50 on a quart of epoxy resin and a yard or two of carbon and have a go at repairing it myself. The worst that happens is you stink up the garage with some epoxy fumes and learn a thing or two about board repairs.

sm
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: